RE: Radial End Replacement

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all,

Looking fo some advice. I fell off my flat garge roof when the edge of the roof gave way whilst cleaning leaves off it. Unfortunatley landing on my outstretched hand which caused me to dislocate my elbow joint. I had it re-positioned on the day (August Bank Hoilday Monday). After several weeks going back and forth to both physio and Doctors appointments they realised that the fracture had not set properly as I had limited motion up to the bicep and also reduced rolling movement in my wrist. At ths point (and a lot of crying on my part) they suggested the replacement of the radial end joint, which I had no real choice but to agree.

I had the operation just over two weeks ago which I was told went well, but I am very worried and frightened about the outcome as I still have limited arm motion up to bicep (I can exercise to just over half way) and still tentative with the radial motion on my wrist I still have swelling post op. on the elbow itself so I appreciate that this takes time, they also hadto fix ligament damage which they did without needing to perform extra work on my wrist. But just need some reassurance from anyone who may have had the same as I feel quite isolated and very frightened about my outcome.

Can anyone please help.

thanks in anticipation

Dom.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dom,

So sorry for your fall...how dreadful...

Dom, I am recovering from a total elbow replacement...two weeks after such a traumatic injury that required revision is not much time to recover. No doubt from your perspective this entire process has taken way too long.

Anatomy...upper arm bone is the humerous. lower arm is made up of two bones...turn your hand palm up...the bone on the outside is the ulna...the bone closest to your body is the radius. Your hand is made up with 27 bones. The radius head is at the elbow end. The ulna head is at the wrist. When you pronate (turn your hand palm down) these two bones twist. When you supinate (turn your hand palm up) the radius and the ulna lie side by side.

You are no longer isolated because I am here. I offer you my support.

A couple of questions.

What do you mean by radial end joint? Do you mean at the wrist?

Do you know the name of the repaired ligament?

What do you mean by "the radial motion on my wrist?"

I will watch for your next post.

kind regards

juditg

• Posted

Hi,

many thanks for your response. The original injury was done on the 29th August which was original set but this did not work so I had an operation on 26th October to have radial head replacement and reconstruction of lateral collateral ligament. I have limited rotation in my wrist which is still swollen and cannot move my arm up to my bicep above half way. I feel extremely anxious and frghtened about this and almost suicidal with the worry this has caused me I am extremely concerned about my outcome and whether things will improve if at all.

Please help.

• Posted

Hi Dombow

I understand you are worried and your talk of suicide concerns me. An elbow is very important but not as important as your life is.

I had a total elbow replacement on August 30. Recovering from elbow surgery is difficult.

You had your radial head replaced and you had ligament repair.

I am just beginning to pronate. It takes patience and a lot of exercise to rehabilitate an elbow.

Are you working with a physical therapist...if not, I suggest you find one to help you to recover.

It will happen in time.

Please do not give up

Write whenever you need encouragement

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi Dombow

I understand you are worried and your talk of suicide concerns me. An elbow is very important but not as important as your life is.

I had a total elbow replacement on August 30. Recovering from elbow surgery is difficult.

You had your radial head replaced and you had ligament repair.

I am just beginning to pronate. It takes patience and a lot of exercise to rehabilitate an elbow.

Are you working with a physical therapist...if not, I suggest you find one to help you to recover.

It will happen in time.

Please do not give up

Write whenever you need encouragement

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Judith,

Many thanks for your encouraging words. Can you inform me as to how it is going with you and (if not too personal a question your age) as I fear at my age 43 I may never recover any sort of use in my arm which is all that occupies my mind. When I sleep I awake with the same dread and fear for the day ahead and moreover my life in general. I see little or no point in continuing like this, the thoughts that run through my head every minute of the day is my life is now ruined and I have not been able to stop crying since I was told of the operation and indeed before I fail to see the point in anything anymore.

What is your prognosis?

Dom.

• Posted

Hi Dom

I was just 65! I have had severe juvenile rheumatoid arthritis for 54 years.

My prognosis is excellent, full recovery...BUT I have a lot of exercises to do.

My physical therapist is now manipulating the elbow capsule.

This is very important. The capsule tightens up as it heals. Once my elbow is cleared for full use, the exercises will become more agressive. Today is the first day of the 12 th week. I am hoping for clearance next Tuesday

Find a good physical therapist

kind regards

judith

• Posted

I am sorry you are going through this also. Recovery from any injury is often slow and hard, but I agree with Judith that your life is more important than your elbow. Many people live complete lives without whole limbs, but of course they have to adjust to it and learn to deal with it. No one does this by themselves! Many seek hep from therapists and other helping professionals to deal with the feelings related to body changes. Please get more help if you feel suicidal,  because you are worth it! We can empathize with you and share our stories, but cannot provide therapy that may help you get through this rough patch. One thing I do know is this too shall pass! It will not seem so bleak down the road. I shattered my hip some years ago into 47 pieces and I was real depressed from that for awhile. It took over a year and a few surgeries to become functional again, and about 3 years to get back full function. I just learned to take it one day at a time and be thankful for any progress. Hang in there , it wll not always be this way.

Patrice

• Posted

Patrice,

Many thanks for those kind words of encouragement and hope that your progress is going well, it is really encouraging for me to hear of other peoples experiences (however awful) and to know that there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. I just keep beating myself up over what happened but I guess in life accidents happen and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!!

Dom.

• Posted

Boy that is the truth! I don't think any of us WANTS these expereinces, but we do have to deal with them when they are on us! Good luck, I will be waiting to hear more about how you are doing as you progress through your recovery process!

• Posted

hang in there.  everything i read about this injury says it takes weeks and weeks to heal and then you have physical therapy on top of the healing.

i fell on Oct 31st and cracked my left radial head into several pieces along with a dislocation.  went to ER. put in splint after xyays and a CT scan.  very painful.

went to an ortho next and had surgery on 11/4 where they put 2 screws in and worked on one of my ligaments.

I wore a cast for 10 days,   I am now in a Donroy left arm brace.   i am very sore and my hand and elbow is quite stiff.    i do try some very limited movements several times a day.

I do feel depressed at times too but i think i am seeing some small improvements.   I still sleep in a recliner at night with my arm at 90 degrees on a pillow.  I still have some swelling in my elbow and down my arm a bit.

hang in there.  i know how you feel.

• Posted

How are you doing now? Minus the ligament work. Our procedures sound identical fell and broke mine 11/10 and had surgery 11/16. In extremely upset with how my elbow is doing now. Happy I found this website. Evidently people don't just go around shattering their elbows. Seems fairly uncommon.

• Posted

Crystal,   I am doing much better.  My strength is still not nearly what it was prior to the injury.   I am still unable to straighten my arm out all the way and I doubt I will ever be able to but I still work at it and I can do everything I need to do in and around my home.  I am 46 so I don't heal as fast as I once did. 

• Posted

Hi dombow73, how are you going now? I've just had the same surgery as you (only a couple of weeks behind) so it would be good to chat to someone else going through the same :-) 

• Posted

Hi Jen,

Sorry to hear you are going through the same thing, very unpleasant and stressful. I am okay but just okay, have had some very dark thoughts about my situation and anger at doing it in the first place, but I guess accidents happen, but that seems little consolation at present.

My op went well but they are not happy with the amount of supernation in the wrist (roatation) and I cannot currently straignten my arm due to ligament repair but I am hopeful and whatever they say re: end result I am going to prove them wrong!!!

How are you getting on and where are you from?

Chin Up.

Dom.

• Posted

I am in the same boat. I can't straighten out my left arm.   I fell Oct 31st and had surgery on nov 4.   

Going to to therapy now which helps but still have a ways to go. 

• Posted

it is the radial head at the elbow that allows for supination (think holding a cup of soup).

When I had a full elbow replacement, the radial head was excised to allow for supination. Typically, pronation is considerably easier.

Your elbow has many ligaments and tendons that must be moved just to access the joint.

Keep elevating and icing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.