RE: Radial End Replacement

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all,

Looking fo some advice. I fell off my flat garge roof when the edge of the roof gave way whilst cleaning leaves off it. Unfortunatley landing on my outstretched hand which caused me to dislocate my elbow joint. I had it re-positioned on the day (August Bank Hoilday Monday). After several weeks going back and forth to both physio and Doctors appointments they realised that the fracture had not set properly as I had limited motion up to the bicep and also reduced rolling movement in my wrist. At ths point (and a lot of crying on my part) they suggested the replacement of the radial end joint, which I had no real choice but to agree.

I had the operation just over two weeks ago which I was told went well, but I am very worried and frightened about the outcome as I still have limited arm motion up to bicep (I can exercise to just over half way) and still tentative with the radial motion on my wrist I still have swelling post op. on the elbow itself so I appreciate that this takes time, they also hadto fix ligament damage which they did without needing to perform extra work on my wrist. But just need some reassurance from anyone who may have had the same as I feel quite isolated and very frightened about my outcome.

Can anyone please help.

thanks in anticipation

Dom.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Dom

I stumbled across your post looking for info about my own elbow. Had my radial head replaced this last nov. I did not have to have any other procedures done like yourself. I am 8 months post op and my arm stays at a 45° angle I can not straighten it any further then that no matter how hard I try to force it. And now when I try to straighten it while holding it up from my side its like it gets caught on something and i have to pop it to get it to my 45° . as well as I can not lay my hand flat. The pain in my wrist fingers and thumb are excruciating at times. Any way have you experienced any of these symptoms. And I totally understand the depression side of it I am only 28 with a disabled 4 yr old and a 1 yr old just wish I could care for my children like a normal mom. Hope your doing better. And remember your not alone. You have me now

• Posted

Have you had a scan on your elbow? I had some similar issues when I had an operation on my knee and no matter how hard I tried, I could NOT straighten it fully. I also had the same issue with the catching when trying to straighten and bend the knee. I could move it but it did not feel good.They eventually had to go in and do an arthroscopic cleanup of the scar tissue to allow full mobility in the joint. It was a relatively easy procedure and quick recovery. I know you probably don't want to think about having another procedure done but it made a HUGE difference straight away in the amount of pain and mobility. 

Have you seen a sports massage therapist crystal? After I had my radial head replacement, I was much more dilligent with getting manipulation done by my physio & I think it really helped with the scar tissue issue. 

• Posted

Did you do physical therapy?  If it's still at 45 degrees, I would get that checked out. 

• Posted

I am so excited that I stumbled onto this discussion! I can't tell you how isolated I have felt. 

Four months ago I had a Radial head replacement with a collateral and lateral ligament reconstruction. This was the first time my surgeon had ever done these two procedures together, and I was the first case of my kind at Occupational Therapy. My origional injury happened at the beginning of Januarary when I fell on the ice and fractured my elbow in about 7 different spots. I did not need surgery for that injury as everything miraculously broke in alligement. My ulna was broken clean through with three different breaks, but still, all in line. After a rough PT (my first pt rebroke my ulna whilst calling me a big baby for not being able to do the exercise she wanted, because she had BROKEN my ulna again) I stepped on a cat toy and fell down a flight of stairs in my house. I was trying so hard to protect my elbow that inevitably I landed on it and rebroke it terribly. It was bad, I had surgery to put 7 plates and lots of screws in to hold everything together. One week after surgery while I was sitting on the couch I felt something in my arm dislocate followed by immense pain. I thought, no that did not just happen, and in the spirit of that denial I waited until my follow up four days later to tell my surgeon. All he had to do was look at my arm to see something was wrong. The x-ray showed my raidius had dislocated and smashed into all the already broken bones in my elbow and just decimated itself. So, after second opinions, one week later I had a Radial head replacement with a lateral and collateral ligament reconstruction. 

I am four months post surgery and having some serious complications. I killed my occupational therapy, gaining almost a normal range of motion, I was a little less than 10 degrees off on flexion and extension, my supination was less than 5 degrees off and everything else was normal. During this time the main problems I had were nerve pain and normal regaining muscle and injury pains. My surgeon stopped my Occupational therapy 6 weeks in because it was starting to get a bit more painful and he said that I was way overdoing it.

All my lovely progress ended about 4 weeks ago. I woke up one morning with my elbow and my arm all the way to my fingers swollen and unable to move. This lasted about 4 days during which my surgeon was out of town and none of his partners would see me. Since then, I have lost quite a bit of progress on my flexion, extension and supination. The pain can get quite excrutiating. I find it frustrating, isolating and debilitating. I lost my job to this injury 4 months ago as I was unable to work full time during the injury and recovery process. 

My insurance coverage, I'm in the states sad, ends in 2 months and has cost me a fortune to maintain. Now my surgeon is saying all the metal and the radial head need to come out of my arm. He said we need to wait 6 months between surgeries so I have 2 months to go in this pain. I am taking college classes right now and at the end of a 2 hour class I am almost in tears from the aching in my elbow, and by the end of the day my wrist is severely swollen and I am unable to use my arm. 

I am wondering what your outcome has been from this. I see that you started this thread about a year ago, where are you at in this process now? Is everything back to normal for you? I am struggling with this injury like I never have in my entire life. I am 42 as well, and I know at this age we don't heal the same. I am frustrated, and I can't wait until this journey is over. 

I hope that you are in a much better place with your recovery. 

Thank you 

• Posted

I would love to know if things are getting easier for you. I had a radial head replacement 5 months ago. I fell and broke my radial head. Then spent 6 weeks in a cast. They took the cast off before the break was fully healed and told me to be careful. I rebroke it 6 days later. Then had radial head replacement surgery. Then 6 weeks after that I fell again and broke another part of my radius so they had to stop my therapy and I was put in another cast. Now my arm hardly functions. I have no strength, little rotation. I even have a hard time gripping a pen. And my arm always hurts and I get a purplish high to the area around my elbow and the scar is dark purple and is actually a keloid scar.

Any advice?

Nicole

• Posted

Hi Daisy yes I am still around and hope this mesage finds you well.

My situation has improved (though it has taken a lot of painstaking physio) my arm has improved and I am now at -3 /-5 degrees off full striaghtness though I think i can get it to -2 (thats what I am aiming for anyway). My only concern is the weakness in the wrist any ideas on any exercises I can do for this?

And you?

Dom.

• Posted

Well to give you my full story here goes. I am 48 and my accident happened when I was 45, Aug 6, 2015. I was trying to catch a thief at work when I fell and tore my ACL (but at the time they didn't know it as the ACL, so we had to wait to schedule an MRI). So two days later my dog was fiercely barking at 3am, I got up, took two steps and my left knee collapsed under me and I landed straight on my left arm and could not move. My daughter called 911 as I lay on the floor 40 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. The two ladies in the ambulance called firemen to come and help stabilize my arm for the ambulance ride. I spent over 7 hours in the emergency room, still not knowing how bad my arm was. They put me under twice to reset my bones. Then a few days later I went to a doctor that gave me the news that I had shattered my radial head. Remember my leg still had a torn ACL that I hadn't had an MRI on yet and now my elbow, so I could barely get around. It was over 100° and everything had to be approved by workmans comp. So come to find out my arm was very serious and they didn't even have a doctor or surgeon in the area I lived that worked on radial heads. So my arm surgery was Aug, 26 2015, over an hour and a half away. And tons of physical therapy to follow. Then on April 5, 2016 was my ACL meniscus repair surgery. And therapy for my leg wen through Feb 2017. And the doctor damaged m nerves so severely in my leg that it is so sensitive to touch. I mean even with the lightest touch my leg hurts. So in may of 2017 I went to a different doctor per my attorney to get a complete evaluation and he told me my arm bones were barely hanging on to the prosthetic radial head, and that all the physical therapy I had done made it worse. Anyway what brought me to this sight is my increased pain in my arm. I find it difficult to sleep, do daily activities, pretty much everything. I always need it wrapped and I wear it in a sling because if it just hangs there it hurts. And cold weather really makes it hurt. It won't ever be straight again, an I have to hold it at a 90° angle to be somewhat comfortable. I pretty much drive one handed, I do everything one handed. Sorry of be so long but I just wanted to let you know it's not worth suicidal thoughts. I hope all is well with you now. God bless.

• Posted

I did not have a replacement but I did have surgery with screws to put it back together. 

I cant straighten it all the way but I can do almost everything I need to do and most of the time I don’t notice it.  But it’s a long, tough recovery. 

• Posted

Hello my people with injured elbows. So, I too have had an elbow injury in which my radial head has been replaced and I have a metal plate on my ulna as well. It happened about 14 months ago.,

My question is:

Has anyone who has had their radial head replaced been able to straighten their arm after all??

I am still lacking about 20 degrees on my extension and also lacking range of motion of my flexing. 

It almost feels hopeless. But I really want to be able to extend my arm again.

• Posted

Hello,

I had radial head cap replacement surgery on April 19th.   I am in my 4th week of physical therapy.  I am beginning to get my mobility back, but my concern is also is that I haven't been able to straighten my arm.

They say it will come, however, I am 68 years old, and I may not ever get full mobility back.  My passion is swimming which I cannot do until July so I am hoping that my progress continues.   I am very active and this injury is mover debilitating than what I thought.

Hoping for the best, take care and I wish you well.

Maria

• Posted

It's a long road to recovery with this one Rie. I'm a little over a year and a half out from radial head replacement & it took some time to get back to "normal" mobility. I say "normal" because I'm still missing a few degrees, but it doesn't stop me from doing mostly anything I used to do pre-surgery. I feel that I have a little instability when I'm doing stuff like side planks but it's very few things that I notice any change from before surgery.

• Posted

Thank you Jen. It’s finny that you mentioned side planks.   I’ve been afraid to do s plank.  I just started to work on my strength so I’m hoping I’ll improve as I go on.  I assumed it would  take some time.  I just need to take it slow and have patience 

Thank you.   Take care

• Posted

Yeah, I know the feeling. It took me a long time to get up the nerve to try side planks because it's scary when you think about putting all your weight on the newly reconstructed bit. I started with side planks on the knee and then worked my way up. Last week I was doing side planks with a side crunch in my yoga class so it's come on by leaps and bounds. I'm no stranger to having to do rehab - have had 3 knee surgeries (including an ACL reconstruction) and this one required the most patience by far. 

• Posted

Hello Dom,

I fell on April 11th and had radial head cap replacement on April 19th.    You are only two weeks post op, I didn't begin therapy until my 3rd week.   I am in my fourth week of physical therapy.  The process has been slow but I am beginning to get my mobility back.  The therapy is definitely helping.  However, you must do the exercises at home on a regular basis to keep your progress moving.  I still have some swelling, especially after I use my arm.  They told me this is completely normal.  

My concern is that I haven't  been able to straighten the elbow.  They say it will come but it will take time.  My age is 68, so there is a good possibility that I may not ever get total mobility back, but at least I'm functioning.  I was told I can begin swimming in July which is my passion.  

You sound very upset, and your suicidal comment does concern me.   You are very young, just take your time and be patient.  I'm sure there are better days ahead.

Maria

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.