re-sprained foot second time, ankle is now unstable.

Posted , 6 users are following.

one week ago i flew downstairs and took a huge sprain, no breaks on x-ray but the doctor booked a scan because suspected some other damage.

was splinted and sent home with a prescription for a f-f plaster when swelling reduces.

the splint was very unstable. 2 days ago i fell from crutches and re-sprained the same foot. was painful and the foot liked like dislocated so i went back to the doctor. the splint was changed for a better one, probably the ligament's damage is worse now.

i feel the foot very unstable, when they changed the splint was very painful so i hope they can avoid movements. can they scan the foot with the splint on and immediately apply the cast?

how long does it takes for the swelling to reduce? i'm constantly with foot in air. 

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

update this again.

i had to stay in the cam boot more than 8 weeks after stress fractures. in my opinion using the boot was a mistake, a cast would have been more effective and reduce the time on crutches.

anyway after i started to walk again my ankle was still weak and painful. probably the surgery reconstruction had very little effect on stability.

2 months ago i refractured the same ankle: tarsus and malleolis fragmented fractures with good alignment. no surgery, it's a pathological break because i have osteoporosis caused by nwb.

i was put in a plaster long cast and was really effective, my ankle felt really ok. at week n6 cast became a bit loose and was changed with a long leg fibercast, mistake! it's painful and unconfortable and i'll get back to have it changed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.