Re the Pneumonia Vaccine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Very interested to hear how many people get offered a pneumonia Vaccine every two years and also those who have only had it once?

How many years since diagnosis etc.

This a very interesting topic and I'm keen to learn more...... if maybe there are special circumstances for those who get the vaccine every two years .... maybe they have repeated lung infection? ..... or may all are Alpha1? ...... maybe all have severe lung damage.

Looking forward to hearing from as many people as possible to understand this better :D

Thanks for all your input. :ok:

V :ok:

For myself I have had COPD emphysema for 6 years, I have been stable for over 5 years, my lung damage is mild to moderate, I have received the pneumonia vaccine just once, I was told by my doc it is mostly a one off vaccination. I don't know of any other person who receives or is offered the pneumonia vaccine every 2 years.

Looking forward to hearing from others. :ok:

V

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have had COPD since 2006. I get the pnumonia vacine every 2 years.

AAA

• Posted

I,ve had copd for 4 and half years and have had 3 pnuemonia injections. 1 when i was dignosed, one 2 years later, and i have just had another with my flu injection in october.

Jan

• Posted

Had pneumonia jag 3 months ago and was told it was only needed once.

Regards,

Robert.

• Posted

Dear Whoever,

I had my pneumonia vaccine last year. I said to the nurse that I was happy to know I would be protected for life now. She replied that it used to be thought that one would last at least ten years, but that over time thinking had changed. She said they would probably call me back for another in \"two or three years\" to be on the safe side. I have severe COPD. I think there is a big difference between mild and severe COPD. They are worlds apart.

• Posted

i am due to have my second pnumonia vaccination, i had one ten years ago, i was asked when did you have last one by doc. and he said will book another jab app. soon.

how long have you had copd robert, something seems to be wrong if you only had jab 3 month ago, that is shocking

one of the first things they do in the u.k when you get a suspected lung disease is pnumonia vaccination, so i dont want another one if its for life, youve got me worried now

• Posted

Hi AAA, Jan and RedHotCherry are you residing in the UK or US?

RedHotCherry - I have a friend who has severe COPD and lung cancer, she has only had one pneumonia Vaccine - she lives in UK also.

Hi Robert and Rita - I was told the same as you.

Keep em coming - :D

V

• Posted

Hi Eddy - thanks for your input - are you severe? Have you had a lot of exacerbations?

V

• Posted

[quote:1b6763c3bb=\"eddy\"]i am due to have my second pnumonia vaccination, i had one ten years ago, i was asked when did you have last one by doc. and he said will book another jab app. soon.

how long have you had copd robert, something seems to be wrong if you only had jab 3 month ago, that is shocking

one of the first things they do in the u.k when you get a suspected lung disease is pnumonia vaccination, so i dont want another one if its for life, youve got me worried now[/quote:1b6763c3bb]

Hi Eddie,

Alas Eddie I didn't look after myself well enough and didn't go for flu injections until 3 months ago and that's when I was given the pneumonia jag and was told that it was a one of.

My chest health has been deteriorating more rapidly over the last three years and I didn't get it checked out when I should have. Have had various chest infections over the years but last winters infections were the worst and probably caused the most damage. Fev1 is around 50 but I am very thankful to God that I am as well as I am.

Regards,

Robert

• Posted

yes ,when i had the first one,i was told i dont need another one but just recently they said asked me when i had one, i said about 10 years ago and they said i needed a booster, so im really confused now

both doc and consultant were telling me same thing, that i should have another one soon,i thought it was for life too but i suppose in some cases , well in mine anyway i need a booster after 10 years and im not going to argue with my doc about it, when did you get diagnosed copd robert, i think you are right that some only need one jab too tho but i think it depends on each individual case too

• Posted

hi v, yes i am severe copd, so i think my immune ity is not as it should be , i dont like the weather much tho too, do you, im rubbish on the computer
  • Posted

[quote:9c5b5d5412=\"eddy\"]hi v, yes i am severe copd, so i think my immune ity is not as it should be , i dont like the weather much tho too, do you, im rubbish on the computer[/quote:9c5b5d5412]

Good Day Eddy

Thanks for sharing with us, so sorry that you are at a later stage, I know the drugs we need to keep breathing and often keep the heart happy too are a real good aid for us, but I honestly think they do play havoc with our immune system. All the more reason to keep our selves on a good nutritious diet I guess and when we can keep those legs moving.

I agree this weather is the worst for COPD, I'm exactly the same, the airways automatically narrow in cold damp weather and breathing more difficult.

You do fine on the computer Eddy - I can read you and understand so that has got to be a good thing for us both :lol:

I wishing you an easy breathing day Eddy and a real good weekend too.

Take care and keep warm.

V

• Posted

Good Day to you too Robert,

Thank you also for sharing with us. Indeed thanking all for sharing in this discussion experience.

I'm wishing all an easy breathing day and a real good weekend too. :D :ok:

Keep warm and safe.

V

• Posted

I too thought that the pneumonia jab is a one-off. I think in the early years I had it yearly (but my memory is not exactly reliable!) but haven't had one for a few years now.

I was diagnosed 10 yrs ago and now in severe category. Have had a lot of exacerbations, chest infections, pneumonia and pleurisy.

My guess is it will be down to individual doctor, according to how they view risk, best practice, etc.

Stitch

• Posted

[quote:1abfdecfa7=\"Stitch\"]I too thought that the pneumonia jab is a one-off. I think in the early years I had it yearly (but my memory is not exactly reliable!) but haven't had one for a few years now.

I was diagnosed 10 yrs ago and now in severe category. Have had a lot of exacerbations, chest infections, pneumonia and pleurisy.

My guess is it will be down to individual doctor, according to how they view risk, best practice, etc.

Stitch[/quote:1abfdecfa7]

Hi Stitch

Thanks for sharing - I agree with you regarding it being down to the individual doctor and most likely the individual patient too smile

Have a great Day

V

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.