Reaccuring sore throats?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi ladies!  On top of every other miserable symptom...I seem to be getting a sore throat every couple of months like clockwork.  2 mo ago it ended up being strep, which I had never had before in my life! Nobody in the house had it.  Then,   2 days ago, I had a horrible headache, night sweats ( nothing new there). Yesterday, another sore throat!  I’m going over to the walk in clinic today just to make sure it is not strep again...I am hoping not because no fever this time.  Soooo incredibly sick of this.  My immune system is trashed!  Anybody else with this problem?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I had sore throat yesterday after a long time..

I think the culprit is that I ate sugarplum with milk chocolate. It irritates my throat every time I ate this kind of chocolate. But I was also wondering that it may be due to season changequestion or a combination of two

I ve been diagnosed with bile reflux since I entered perimenopause  which can cause sore throat sometimes.

I took riopan gel and today I feel my throat better

our system is in complete mess due to hormonal imbalances and a lot of weird symptoms may arise

• Posted

I don't have the sore throats but since June I keep having stuffy nose and drainage that's hard to clear out my throat allergies who knows but it's driving me nuts it will clear up to just come back a week later no fever no signs of infection not sure what's going on there I think hormonal crap just doesn't have a limit on what it effects on us women

• Posted

Hi Pamela,this sounds like me. Constant nose running clear through out the day. Clearing my throat,sometimes a cough. Ears real like cotton in them. When sleeping everything fine,maybe a dry throat here and there.
  • Posted

When all this started two years ago, I had a month long sore throat which prompted me to see an ENT, he scoped my throat and didn't see anything. But before that I had myself convinced I had throat cancer or lung cancer. But anyway, that lead in to lump in throat and felt like I couldn't swallow, then it all finally cleared up. Now I realize that the sore throat was probably the first symptom of the EBV reactivating when my immune system dropped because of my hormones. 

I still get sore throats now and then, sometimes I think it's from me keeping my a/c so low at night that I'm drying out. IDK, I have a sore throat right now. It comes and goes.

The funny thing is, this whole time, two years, I have never once had a fever. I used to check my temp every day because I was convinced I had to have a fever because I felt so awful, but it was always sub, like 96. So weird. 

Anyway, I guess it's good to check it to see if it could be strep. Hopefully it's not.

• Posted

I did have all that but it went away after being tested for food allergies and changing my diet. I have EBV and if I don’t watch my diet, and take sublingual b12, D3, zinc daily, I have issues. My lymph nodes would stay swollen for years and I’ve always had chronic sinusitis. Take allergy shots also. I’m Peri and have severe moods and PMS most of my life.   I felt like if my hormones were still okay and I felt this horrible already, what was I going to be like?!  My pms issues got a lot better when my food allergies were worked on. My body just had too much attacking my immune system. I take wellness formula by a well known company sndvit really helps at the first sign of throat soreness. It’s rare I have swollen lymph nodes anymore. 💕

• Posted

I did go through this last winter from about December through May. Started with flu which made my windpipe close up. Had to get IV steroids in the ER to breathe. Scary. Then got 2 cases of strep. None of my kids even had it. After that I had horrible esophagitis and reflux which made my tonsils hurt. The flu also triggered an episode of thyroiditis and that made my throat hurt too! Like a lump feeling. Had to get thyroid biopsy which was negative. In a nutshell LOTS of different things can trigger throat irritation. Got a scope and endoscopy to be sure and eventually weaned myself off Prilosec and goiter went down after taking synthroid for months. Honestly it was a good 6-7 months of he**. I thought I was dying. All resolved now. If it’s anything serious ENT will tell you! 
    • Posted

That is horrible!  I just posted that indeed I have strep again!  I may have to see an ENT.  I went to one in January after my sinus infection.  He was very dismissive, lazy, barely checked anything.  I had issues with GERD awhile back...seems to be ok now that I’m on an AD.  I just don’t know!  I feel like death all the time😩

• Posted

Just came back from the clinic.  I have strep again!  Grrrr!  Again, nobody else in the house has it.   Back on the antibiotics I go.  This has got to be tied into why I get tired and dizzy, etc all the time.  I had a blood test a few months ago that showed past EBV infection.  I am going to push more on this...it cannot be right that I am constantly getting these viruses.  I barely even got colds before! Hopefully my tonsils do not have to come out.  😭

• Posted

Yes this happened to me too. I couldn’t believe I got tonsillitis twice so close together. The solution was taking antibiotic’s for two weeks instead of the one week. Basically doubling the length of time to make sure every last bit of it was gone in there. By the way some people including kids are what’s called strep carriers where they have elevated levels of strep bacteria in their throat but they are not actually sick with the infection but they can transmit it to other people. My 13-year-old daughter is a carrier. She will test positive on a strep test but does not have a strep infection.Good luck
    • Posted

HI Andrea, thank you for responding.  I am so glad you brought up the carrier thing.  I have always suspected that my youngest child is a carrier.  He has special needs and god love him byt, I have had to clean up all sorts of “messes”, etc from him.  He sneezes on me, spits, etc...he has put everything in in mouth.  His school has had all kinds of crap go around.  Yet, My child is NEVER sick!  I think he is the carrier!  Did you just take your daughter to be strep tested randomly at pediatrician?  
    • Posted

Yes my oldest did actually have strep once in kindergarten but subsequent rapid strep tests (done because sibling tested positive and I don’t mess around with strep-if we have it in the house I want them tested so the can get on the Abx) all revealed positive results but no actual illness. Pediatrician told me we could all catch from her but so far I’m the only one! Of course! Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.