Reaching out for some advice.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys,

Wondering if I should increase to 10 mg.

I've gone from 2.5 to 5 mg to 7.5mg, since June 22nd.

I thought I was beginning to feel better on 7.5mg, and I have had some better days.

However, got involved in a bit of a family argument this week with my brother and the last couple days feel back at square one. No sleep the last couple of nights, racing heart, feeling jittery. Churning, upset stomach. Absolutely yelled at him on the phone (all deeply buried resentment coming out.) I was a bit scared by myself though.... I was SO angry. Anyone else experienced this anger on cit? Although I do think maybe it was just a lot of resentment that reached boiling point.

This is nearly my 4th week at 7.5mg, will be tomorrow, wondering whether it is quite enough. Perhaps I need to boost up to 10mg.

Or should I give it another couple of weeks? I think it's also partly psychological, as I know I recovered at 10 mg before.

Trouble is, am not sure what is actual anxiety, and what is side effects any more. Tablets do make me feel a bit jittery anyway at the moment. Either that, or just plain exhausted.

I take it first thing in the morning, around 7 am, with breakfast.

0 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Ruth, 

You are sensitive to meds like myself. I kept a daily journal as I learned from my saviors here. I’m at 6 months and 1 week at 10mg. You still have time to go since your still feeling anxiety. If you increase you will most likely get a little more anxiety. I look back at my journal and really started to feel a difference after week 15 and another big difference after week 21. They come and go the symptoms and they stay away a little longer each time. 

Keep us posted. 

Will 😎

• Posted

Thanks Will.

I read your posts about daily journal and have actually also started one, so thank you.

I feel a bit calmer for getting through first day of work. I think a routine is gonna help me out...

It's quite a different experience, increasing on these meds, for me. However, definitely going to stick at 10, no more increasing. Gonna let it settle and work. One good thing is that my energy levels have improved a bit, so something is happening. I just need to remember not to let the random effects freak me out... buzzing head is very weird.

• Posted

What exactly is a buzzing head? I’ve had some weird side effects like pain and pressure in my head.. 
    • Posted

You know when you turn on speakers/a stereo and there is that kind of low, electrical hum, but it's quite loud?

It's like that. It's as if I can hear the electrical impulses in my brain, it's in my ears and really loud.

It doesn't last long, about 5 minutes, but I've really noticed it if I've woken in the middle of the night, and it seems to coincide with feeling a bit shaky.... very weird.

• Posted

Hi Ruth.

Im on day four of citalopram but have been on them before. What your experiencing is a side effect, I remember having it last time I was on the tablets and it doest last long.

Claire.

• Posted

Hi Ruth, what you described is exactly what I have permanently, my buzzing head and that electrical hum you describe.,although improves throughout the day is worse from when I take the next tablet.Its tinnitus I often joke that it sounds like a windy day in my head.
    • Posted

Hi Ruth

I get that too, it's loud right now. It's worse when I'm in quiet surroundings like bed at night. For me it's white noise tinnitus. I had it for a long time before I realized what it was. I went to ENT but ears normal. I believe it's a side effect of citalopram. Hope you have a good day.

• Posted

Ironically, anxiety makes tinnitus worse. ENT suggested listening to delta wave music at night, it sometimes helps to send me off to sleep but it doesn't stop the tinnitus. I've also read that magnesium can help with both tinnitus and anxiety but I haven't tried it as a supplement. I think I would check with doctor before trying supplements. However, I have tried eating high magnesium foods before bedtime such as almonds, bananas, dark chocolate, dried fruit, cocoa and it has helped.

The other thing I found out from my doctor it that magnesium levels are not tested in routine blood checks. They check for potassium and sodium among others but not magnesium.?

• Posted

Thanks Lina, have in fact just started using a mag supplement, so let's see if it has any effect.

• Posted

Hi Lina

i have read quite a bit about potassium and sodium with cita, and have never been tested for it, interesting what you said about magnesium, I take this daily and it hasn't stopped my tinnitus unfortunately, although your post is making me wonder if my tinnitus would have been a lot worse.  I haven't been able to find any interactions with cita and magnesium, would be interested in knowing if there are though.

• Posted

Ruth depending on your sensitivity you may feel the relaxing side of magnesium immediately like I do, if you do not you need to give it time to get into your system.
    • Posted

Hi Paula

I don't mean for this to sound like a report for the united nations or a sermon, but I have done a lot of reading on these topics and I keep a journal. I do tend to talk a lot too, so please bear with me.

The routine blood check tests for:

U&E (sodium, potassium, bicarbonate, urea, creatinine, glucose).

GER (kidney function)

GLUCOSE (blood glucose level)

FULL LIPID PROFILES (cholesterol and triglycerides)

LFT ( liver function test)

THYROID (thyroid function text)

I had mine done last month, that's how I know. When I asked my doctor what my magnesium levels were he said they don't test for that. So it's quite simple to get your sodium and potassium levels checked but I think you would have to ask for a Magnesium blood test and probably have to have a good reason for asking.

I've looked up symptoms of magnesium deficiency but they are like so many symptoms of other things including anxiety.

It appears that millions of us don't get enough magnesium but the kidneys limit what we expel through urine. Common causes of deficiency are alcoholism, certain medications, chronic medical conditions or a very poor intake of magnesium in diet. When you think of the number of people on diets that cannot be getting enough magnesium, it sort of puts it into perspective though.

Going on to tinnitus. There isn't a cure for tinnitus as you know we can only try to find ways of relieving it. I'm not saying that if it is a side effect of citalopram it cannot be reversed if citalopram is stopped. I don't know the answer to that, I don't know if anyone does. All I know is that I have tinnitus and I have no hearing problems so I can only assume that it was caused by citalopram as I didn't have it prior to taking it. Also, taking aspirin can cause tinnitus. I have neck arthritis too so this could be another factor that was mentioned by ENT. They didn't suggest I take anything for it, it's just learning to live with it unfortunately.

I've READ that magnesium helps with anxiety and tinnitus, it also helps you sleep. I've also READ that diuretics help with tinnitus but there is a moderate interaction with diuretics and citalopram that can affect potassium and sodium levels. Regular blood checks would need to be done to keep check on this.

Magnesium can be lost through stress, poor diet, alcohol and sugar so I can understand the link here with anxiety. The body only absorbs 20-25% of magnesium that we ingest in any case.

There are different types of magnesium but I've READ that the chelated ones are best because they are easier to absorb and don't cause digestive problems, the common ones are magnesium citrate and magnesium glycinate. Some types are to be avoided, you can look these up. Also, magnesium can be affected by some antacids and some antibiotics so it is best to check with your doctor before taking it.

I take it in food form, green leafy veg, pineapple, chicken, tuna, baked potato, water, almonds, walnuts etc.

There seems to be conflicting views on whether it is safe to take magnesium with citalopram. It's always best to check with your doctor first to see if it is OK for you. I've read that too much taken with citalopram can cause serotonin syndrome and other reports state that it is safe to take with it. I know that people taking citalopram have also been prescribed magnesium supplements. The way I see it is, if you know you are not getting enough in your diet, what's the harm in supplementing it a little. I try to include it more in my diet but that's not to help with tinnitus, I've given up on thst, it's more to help me sleep.

I'm just trying to find answers like everyone else so apologies if my post is a little long winded and I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching because there are many people here that know a heck of a lot more about citalopram than I do and I'm always more than happy to listen to their advice.

Best wishes Paula

• Posted

Hi Lina, thank you so much for your reply. I have been taking magnesium daily for 14 years as found out back then that alot of woman of a certain age can be lacking in it, plus its great for anxiety and sleep. You mentioned serotonin syndrome due to interaction, I am seeing my doctor and will speak to her about this.
    • Posted

Please dont apologise for your long post, as you say we are all trying to find answers. Meds definitely caused my tinnitus and have plenty of medical proof and am concerned that what you have said about it not being reversed is true so am going to do look into this.
    • Posted

Hi Paula

I think I have not made myself clear. There is no cure for tinnitus, I believe that is widely known. However, if it is induced by citalopram, what I said was I don't know, under those circumstances, whether it can be reversed or not. If it is a side effect of a medication rather than a medical condition, it may or may not be reversed, I don't have the answer to that. Just thought I should clear that up.

Best wishes

• Posted

Paula I know my tinnitus when starting celexa was to the tenth power.but as I wean off the Ambien and ziplocone my tinnitus is now to 4th power..since I wean down from the xanex is to the 2nd power..so all though celexa causes tinnitus all of the other meds i mentioned also causes tinnitus...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.