Reactive EBV and oral thrush?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, i am 19, female, and healthy since this condition ruined my life. i have been suffering with ebv for a little over a year now since my initial infection of mono. i never feel that great and am constantly experiencing new/bizarre symptoms everyday. (including, bone pain, shooting pains, neck pain, muscle pain, nerve pain, tinnitis, blurry vision, fogginess, achiness, etc). i was then diagnosed with Hashimotos. but my newest symptom is oral thrush. i woke up 6 days ago with this and i am utterly petrified. I am a horrible anxiety sufferer and hypondriac and i googled oral thrush and it only mentions HIV or cancer. my anxiety is making me believe that those are the only two reasons i have it. i cant think straight bc im so worried. Could oral thrush be due to my reactive ebv, high amounts of stress, and/or hashimotos? please help

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hey Nicole- I too have been sick over a year (going on 16 months) Since getting mono in July 2017. It really is the most horrific sickness. So I totally empathize with you. Yes I get crazy symptoms still. Although mine tend to be cyclical. When I get a crash it brings shaking and muscle aches and pains and IBS. It’s now looking like I might have Lyme disease which could’ve set off the EBV reactivation and the mono. I would tell you not to stress yourself out on the Internet - I know it’s so much easier said than done. I do the same thing where I feel so out of control and need to find answers that I think researching will give me. But 90% of the time it just makes me more anxious and it ends up not being right anyway. Oral thrush is a yeast infection of the mouth correct? I would think that has more to do with a bacterial imbalance in your body. Do you see a natural path?

• Posted

thats when i got mono too! its been such a draining year. and yes, thats what it is. ive never had it before and apparently it only happens in immunocompromised, thats why im so scared. its definitely not a sign of health; however, i would feel better knowing it was due to ebv or the imbalance hashimotos causes. i pray thats what it is. currently im suffering a mono "flare up" again and this anxiety is making me go mad

• Posted

oh my gosh that's nuts! I went from totally healthy to completely sick in one day. It’s been so awful! I even had a brief recovery. For about a month in mid October to mid November 2017. And then I attempted exercise and I totally relapsed and I’ve been sick ever since. Although now I am going on antibiotics for a month because I may have Lyme disease. My tests keep coming back indeterminate and it’s the only treatment we haven't attempted so I’m giving it a go.

This muscle fatigue and pain plus shakiness is so scary and debiliating. I'm beyond ready to live a normal life again! Hang in there guys – I’m rooting for you!

• Posted

yes ive had the shaking too its so embarassing and awful . and yes i was doing 'ok' until i completely stopped working out ...then i went really bad . go figure i dont understand how or why ... this horrible virus works

• Posted

Oh Lisa,

So sorry to hear you've had this setback, I know how discouraging and disheartening that can be when you see some progress and then it stalls or seems to go back the way. I've been feeling a bit like that too had a better week last week and just feeling things worse again this week and it drains you so much I know Lisa.

Just hang in there Lisa, remember things won't always be this way, there is hope and there will be a phase of complete and total recovery where setbacks don't keep happening - I do still believe that for you Lisa and just remember this is only going to be a setback and you will get by it again and feel better - thinking about you and sending best wishes and hugs. I'm still grateful for all your wise and kind words to be over the months Lisa even when you've not been feeling well - we should just continue to be there for each other and encourage each other through the hard times right now, it's so important and you will get there Lisa I truly believe that.

Craig

• Posted

There's nothing to be embarrassed about Lori - this virus is awful and it is just dreadful when you get that kind of shaky and uncontrollable feeling, it is frightening but it won't last forever - in those moments just talk out peaceful and encouraging words to yourself, and remember it will pass over and is only temporary. And one thing I learned is just to stop trying to figure the virus out (easier said than done), it does it's own thing and goes its own way, but it will burn itself out and you will endure well past the lifetime of it!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig! oh gosh thank you for the encouraging words. It's been a rough few months. This sickness just seems to go on and on without an end in sight. But as long as I have treatment options I still feel like there's hope and something I can do.

I'm glad to hear you had a good week! But how stressful to relapse. I know that disappointment well. But having a good week must mean your body is healing and will continue to do so until you are fully well! I'm sure of it.

It's easier for me in the colder months- it doesnt feel so depressing to be stuck inside when it's storming outside. So that's a plus!

• Posted

thank you craig ! yes i hope it burns out soon its driving me nuts !

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Oh yeah I do understand that logic too, whilst I'm not a fan of winter generally, it doesn't feel like you are missing out so much as in the summer when weather is better and lighter nights, I do hope and pray so much that God willing by the time spring comes round you will be starting to feel a good bit better and able to enjoy the summer ahead.

You're so right the frustration of the longevity of this illness Lisa is debilitating and I know for sure I felt kind of broken at times when going through it. It was only thanks to God that things got better, and remember you will get better too and just hang on and don't expect too much of yourself right now, be understanding and remember your body has been through a rough time and deserves to take the extra rest and time it needs right now. The body has amazing powers of recovery Lisa, I remember thinking when going through it there was no way I could see my body being strong and fully fit again after this, but again thanks to God got there with time and your body resilience and strength will return again with time it really will!

Hoping for a good day and period ahead Lisa and do keep in touch!

Craig

• Posted

It will Lori, the stamina of this thing runs out eventually and there comes a time with it when it can no longer sting like it did before and can no longer cause that harm because your body has got it under control. Hang in there and hoping and praying for breakthrough for you very soon - still thinking about you!

Craig

• Posted

August 2017 here 😦

This has been the worst 15 mos of my life!!

• Posted

thank you craig i do hope it loses power soon ... so ready for this whole nightmare to be over .

• Posted

gosh 15 months !!! what a trooper you are kay . im heading into month 8 ... its all such a BIG NIGHTMARE. glad you have improved and cant believe its gone in this long !

• Posted

I honestly don't know how I got through it so far.

It was abt when I got to where u are at now that I started seeing subtle signs of improvement. Prior to that it was a downward spiral

• Posted

yes my worse time has been months 6 and 7 the prior 5 months like you i wasnt diagnosed so kept working out. ive read the ebv virus loves adrenaline so even though i felt better working out ... it was feeding the virus .

• Posted

I was still running or going gym upto abt month 10. Felt fine while doing the actual workouts except for horrible backache - boy did I pay for each workout for days after. Didn't realise at the time I was making things worse. I have not done a run since abt June. Only bn doing walking and yoga since then.

• Posted

yes i got worse i stopped working out . i too do a short walk but thats about all i can manage . i want to be healthy and workout again we just have to be very careful. i do miss my runs though 😦

• Posted

please GOD that happens for me . ive just had it with this thing ... my legs are so heavy today and yes after a little clean up im back on the bloody bed .i live alone so agreed its been so so tough.i hope i get to see some glimmers soon ....

• Posted

It's amazing Kay you managed to keep exercising so much until 10 months, what a resilience to keep doing that. Definitely wise to take a step back right now, it doesn't mean to say you won't get back to it because you will! I really believe that for you and Lori. I would also love to get back to some form of running or exercise again, just been grateful for the walking God has been enabling me to do and gentle exercises in the house I've been trying to do at times.

Lori hoping you are feeling a bit better today, it's so frustrating when you try to do something positive and then feel like you pay for it physically. It is very draining I know, just remember this won't be this way forever and that your body resilience will come back again - it really will just takes time and is a very gradual process with this.

Craig

• Posted

P.S. Lori and Kay you are survivors and God is giving us all the strength to get through what's going on - and will continue to, hang in there and you both will get there 100%!

• Posted

P.P.S. I meant Kay and Lori when I said it was amazing that you both had been working out for so long, not just Kay! Sorry Lori!

• Posted

Remember Lori walking is still a massive achievement during this, it's really good you have been doing that and don't underestimate how much you have been doing to help yourself by doing that! I'm just grateful for walking too means so much grateful to God for that and praying we can all be able to keep walking and keep ourselves moving and benefit from that.

Craig

• Posted

Walking has been amazing for me. Also yoga I find rather relaxing. Earlier this year I started swimming and I found that abit strenuous.

• Posted

yes even if i just do a short circle at the beach ...i go even if im exhausted to just hear the waves smell the ocean

• Posted

Walking has been amazing for me too Kay, it's a blessing and one not to be taken for granted for sure. Oh yoga sounds good, swimming is something I wish I had learned when younger never been able to swim!

Kay and Lori even though you have been going through this awful time, that base of fitness that you both had is something that will stand you in good stead as you recover from this thing, and I do hope, pray and believe that you will get back to the exercise you enjoy and sets you free again - with a little time and patience of course.

Craig

• Posted

Definitely Lori even if not feeling able to walk or whatever at certain times, just making it to the beach to sit and breath in the sea air and watch the sea is a great thing to do. I love the sea too - don't visit it as often as I should, it's about an hour's drive or so to the coast from here, although that's no excuse because we do have other lochs, lakes and nice parks nearby for visiting and walking routes always God willing of course.

Craig

• Posted

I didn't learn to swim as a child either. In fact I started lessons in January this year as a 38 year old. I was enjoying it but found it very tiring as I was very fatigued at the time. Once I am better, I will resume.

• Posted

Ah that's good Kay well I am about the same age as you so there is maybe hope for me yet! Someone did try to teach me once as an adult I just have problems putting my head under the water and finding the right breathing pattern! Yeah maybe just not the right time for you just now with everything but hoping you can get back to that again once well again!

• Posted

Yea definitely. I will resume lessons once I am fully better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.