Read this for hope and encouragement - You will get better

Posted , 17 users are following.

To start with some background, I've been on Citalopram twice now. I went through a mental crisis of sorts in 2013, and eventually got on this medication after a long time of trying other things and just waiting. Within some weeks, it slowly brought back the part of my mind I felt was missing for so long (or what felt like so long). Flash forward to this past October 2023, I decided to get off the 20mg I was taking because I thought what I had gone through prior was just a phase, a weird blip in my life that wouldn't be repeated. After going through a short withdrawal period, I thought I was right. But 2 months later, I started getting the same anxiety/panic attacks that I recognized from a decade earlier. Soon enough, I was getting scarily depressed, and knew I had to go back on the medication. I didn't want to because I knew the adjustment would be rough, like I remember it being the first time. But I did it.

Since then, it has been a long road. Longer than I would have thought. I want to make it clear, a lot of people begin to feel normal on this med within weeks. If you are starting out and struggling, know that in a few weeks, you could very well be feeling good. Unfortunately, a lot of us don't experience that. I noticed positive changes along the way, but it was anything but linear. Side effects were terrible. If you're on a similar path, there will be ups and downs. In every down you will be tempted to believe you will never permanently feel better again. It will feel impossible. But just know that your mind is lying, and your view of reality is skewed and not trustworthy. You have felt well before, and you will feel well again. There is so much life outside of the weird reality you find yourself in. Reflecting on those times, it's like I may have well been in a different dimension. You may feel like "maybe this is just who I am now" - but it's not true. I was never truly suicidal, but I had a lot of anxiety surrounding the concept. I was constantly in distress that MAYBE I would become suicidal. It's important to differentiate this from actually wanting to take your life. Either way, it stressed me out to a great degree. If you're in a similar place, this will pass. If you can, ask your doctor for a benzodiazepine to lessen your distress. Lorazepam was sincerely a blessing from God throughout this process.

All in all, I just wanted to come on here to offer hope and assurance to those are going through the hardest time they could have ever imagined right now. This is a traumatic experience, don't invalidate yourself that it's any less. Regardless, you will get to the other side. The process may be slow, but it is sure. Keep a journal and see how the small things turn into big things. Time is your greatest companion in this. These 2 times I've found myself with a severe mental state I don't recognize as 'me' have been easily the hardest times in my life by miles. And those around you might not understand, and they are lucky not to. But I see you, and there are plenty of others who have been through this and can now look back and say "...that was weird." Because this is just a chapter in your long life. These meds work, but they need time, and your body/mind needs time to heal naturally alongside this med. But you will get there, and don't buy into anything different. There's so much more ahead of you. I'm here if anyone has questions or needs encouragement.

Much love, Emma

14 likes, 109 replies

109 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Thank you that helps me a lot , it is so hard but i will keep going and wait for a bit of light at the end of the tunnel, I am so glad you are better now , thanks for your reassurance .

• Posted

Hi

I am not great today, I think because morning anxiety when i wake up is so bad, I find it hard to move on with my day, I have a few times when i feel a bit better especially evenings, just have to keep hoping for more better times, how are you doing x

• Posted

hi,

from what ive read from other threads better evenings should gradually turn into better afternoons and then mornings. i have terrible morning anxiety too - worse if ive not had a good sleep. also any nap i have during the day i wake up feeling worse even if its just a snooze so i must stop the napping.

today has been probably the best day since starting the meds - ive not been out but ive been productive around the house and have had spells where im looking forward to something i.e a wedding i have in a few weeks - these glimpses are soon followed by negative thoughts but i feel its progress i suppose! il be 11 weeks on meds in the next few days - almost 5 weeks on the slightly higher dose. how long have you been on meds for this time round? sorry to hear its not been a great day today - it wasnt great for me yesterday, i couldnt hold back tears but by the evening like you say i was more positive x

• Posted

Glad you have had a good day, I was on 20mg for nearly 8 weeks and been on 30mg for 4 weeks, and I know everyone is different to how long it takes to feel better, just hoping things start to get better soon, I have managed to pop to the shop once or twice but mainly staying indoors at the moment. The physical symptoms are really hard, and i get very emotional days when i cry a lot x

• Posted

your only a little further ahead than me - its fluoxetine i am taking though.

i was the same yesterday - i find when i have to go out i get very upset doing the things i would normally enjoy doing because my mind is on a constant negative loop. i do have to go out tomorrow to buy a few things so im hoping im feeling positive. i dont suffer the physical symptoms of anxiety apart from pounding heart occasionally, but i did have all the start up side affects which took a while to ease. i am only now starting to sleep better. i hope this evening is better for you x

• Posted

hi denise - im still up and down. crying spells are less and i managed a few hours out yesterday. im trying the acceptance method and trying my best to get on with my days as normal but it is very hard! how are you doing?

• Posted

Hi

sorry you are still up and down, i am still having a rough time, i seem to be getting so many symptoms at the moment, sometimes i get a little relief i the evenings but not always, so hard but trying to stay positive, hoping it will get easier x

• Posted

hi,

are they side affects from the meds or do you suffer with physical symptoms before meds? if you look back to last month / month before are you any better at all, even just a small change? il be on week 12 soon - and id say only the past week i can say i feel different from previous months - in previous months i had very dark thoughts which seem to have lessened a significant amount. my sleep has gone back awful though but that could be down to weather as its very warm the past week. x

• Posted

Hi

most of them are since being back in meds especially the feeling of anxiousness in my stomach, I managed to go to the supermarket today, it was so hard but i did it, but it is so hot so on top of how hot I get when I'm anxious I thought i was going to pass out but I didn't , the heat seems to be making me feel worse at the moment, I think I have times some evenings when I relax but not sure if this is because the day is nearly over, but the next morning I wake up feeling awful again , I am so glad you are noticing a change, hoping I will soon x

• Posted

sorry your still suffering - i did suffer the physical symptoms starting the meds but they have subsided apart from problems on and off with sleep.

i know that feeling of forcing yourself out and all your really wanting to do is curl up in a ball under your duvet its absolutely horrible. i often get back into my car in floods of tears. have you been back in touch with the GP? x

• Posted

yes i saw the doctor today as i have a problem with my shoulder which after 2 years and an operation which did not work they said i have bursitis which is bad inflammation and in may gave me an ultrasound driven steroid injection, and after a few weeks the pain was gone , but about 3 weeks ago the pain came back and i can hardly move my arm and in a lot of pain, so need to be referred again 😦. when I told her how i was feeling with the anxiety she just offered to up dose to 40mg or try something new but I said not yet as I dont think Ive given the 30mg a chance to work yet and just cant start all over again x

• Posted

oh no - that sounds awful with your shoulder! hopefully your referral wont take too long with you being in so much pain. Yeah i agree maybe give it another few weeks on the 30mg to settle. im

on 30mg but its fluoxetine and im not sure if that is equivalent to citalopram dosage. ive been almost 6 weeks on the 30mg and i was 6 weeks on the 20mg prior. if im honest i think i will need to go up to 40mg eventually as i do have a few OCD like tendencies in the form of ruminating and i have read that a higher strength is needed to combat that but im willing to give the 30mg another few months x

• Posted

Hi Jo

how are you feeling today, Congratulations by the way on your pregnancy but like you said your hormones are probably all over the place, hopefully you will feel much better soon x

• Posted

hi!

not too bad - probably the most productive weekend in a about 3-4 months. things very much still on my mind constantly but im actually wanting to go out with my family. thank you, i dont want to increase the dose until baby is here but fingers crossed i wont have to (wishful thinking) how are you feeling? any improvement? x

• Posted

I get a little bit of time when its better but still not great, but I will keep going and hope it gets better in time, I'm so glad to hear you are getting out with your family hopefully every day will get better for you x

• Posted

yes keep going! im far from back to myself but i just keep thinking of the floods of tears i was in daily only a few weeks ago.

its just the 4-6 weeks that you should start to see improvement timescale thats so unrealistic that the GPs advise and virtually everything you read online isnt it x

• Posted

Yes I totally agree, when you read it takes 4-6 weeks and still struggling after 3 months it really makes you think that they will never help x

• Posted

yes exactly - im glad i came across this sote or i would have given up weeks ago! hope your doing okay today?

• Posted

Hi Jo

just checking in to see how you are feeling now, I am doing a bit better but very slowly, I still have quite bad morning anxiety and that feeling of knotting and butterflies in my stomach, but am not crying so much and am managing to do more things, still get anxious when i am going out but trying to push through it, I have got an appointment for my shoulder problem next week so I am hoping to get that sorted as i am not sleeping hardly due to the pain, I hope you are feeling better x

• Posted

hi denise,

i would say im the same - crying everyday has stopped and if i look back to a month ago id be hysterical at least twice a day some days! im more productive and i have glimmers throughout the day of looking forward to things even though o do have anxious thoughts constantly. my sleep is awful but i am 7.5 months pregnant so thats probably contributing to the insomnia. im thinking of giving it another 2 weeks and upping to 40mg as rumination and being stuck in my own head is my main problem which is associated with OCD. ive read that only a higher dose is likely to combat it. its just risking upping and then allowing time to stabilise, not sure what to do! im glad you have your app for your shoulder, ouch that must be extremely painful x

• Posted

Yes I'm about the same as you, but yes your pregnancy is probably having an effect on you, I am seeing doctor Friday but really don't want to up dosage yet, like you say going through the affects of adjusting to new dosage is putting me off, I still feel quite tired a lot but am not sleeping properly so thats not helping but we just have to take it day by day but glad you are doing better than you was x

• Posted

i have to say that upping from 20mg to 30mg was okay - i suppose my body had adjusted to 20mg in the first 6 weeks. it was only my sleep that was affected more from the increase, and still is but could be how far i am along in pregnancy now too. i just dont know if i should take the risk being only 11 weeks maximum until having baby - or just bite the bullet and up my dose as its plenty of time to settle on a new dose! think il see how next week pans put before deciding. glad you are feeling slightly better too x

• Posted

Hi Jo

how are doing, you must be nearly at full term now, just wanted to see how you are xx

• Posted

hi denise!

my mood had lifted a little but i seem to be going through a bit if a blip past few days.

really thinking of upping dose to 40mg but still unsure. how are you doing?

x

• Posted

I am also having a setback at the moment I was feeling better for the last few weeks but at beginning of last week I started getting anxiety again which has got worse, especially the mornings but lasted all day yesterday , I had 2 steroid injections in my shoulder last Monday and since then things seem to have got worse, not sure if thats got anything to do with it , sorry to hear you are having a blip, when is tour baby due xx

• Posted

yeah same, i was doing ok for around 3 weeks but it seems to have hit me again! 8 hope the injection helped and your not in too much pain? im 33 weeks tomorrow -so i do feel that pressure now that i need to be better before baby arrives x

• Posted

I hope you are feeling better by then too, i'm sure we will both get through this , feels like a long journey though xx

• Posted

Not great having another bad day, trying to ignore symptoms but feeling really anxious and low today, how are you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.