Real time recording of codeine in Australia

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a long time codeine addict, and due to real time recording of codeine have been refused sale of codeine. I understand the reason that the Pharmacy Guild have put it in place, but is that where it ends? Just refuse selling it to people? I feel like they have not thought things through in bringing in these new regulations. They obviously know there are addicts, but have they thought past the notion of just cutting them off? Are there any safeguards in place for those of us who are heavily addicted and have been so for many years now. I read stories of people who then approach their GP, and are told the only option is go cold turkey. I'm really struggling and would like to hear how others are coping with these new changes. 

1 like, 268 replies

268 Replies

Next
  • Posted

We don't have real time recording in the UK as such but obviously a GP would know when you are prescribed it and how many. However there are a lot of over the counter products that contain codeine that we can buy without much restrictions. People use different pharmacies to prevent any suspicion. Obviously I can't speak for Australia but in the UK help would be given to most people to help them reduce the codeine
    • Posted

I liked tramadol better than codeine.  I buy tramadol from Maxrxmeds.com without a prescription and never had a problem.  Hope this helps

• Posted

I agree that it's a badly thought out policy. The reason the pharmacy guild have implemented it is because the Australian government were going to make all codeine products prescription only and this was the pharmacy guilds response to try and keep over the counter codeine available for people (unlike us) who use it properly.

Short of visiting chemist after chemist to find one who hasn't implemented the new rules we unfortunately are out of luck. I've been in hospital a few times now with codeine withdrawal problems. I don't think the government understands how many people will end up in the ED as a result of this decision.

Doctors in Australia will not prescribe pure codeine phosphate for people who are addicted. I've had major arguments with 3 doctors over the past month and they just refuse to assist and tell me to go to the ED. As if everyone can do that and spend 11 hours waiting just to be sent home because there are no beds available.

I feel your pain, I'm 4 days without codeine now and it sucks. Feel free to PM me, I'm in Aus too and fairly up to date with laws, options and things to help cope.

You're not alone there are quite a few people here who are willing to help. Not all in the same time zone though. By tomorrow you'll have a few more replies.

Keep in touch, we all like to help each other. In the meantime get some Immodium (loperamide) if you start going into withdrawals. It'll be a really crap 7-10 days but after about 5 days you'll be over the worst of it. Personally for me the endless diarrhoea (sorry to be gross) is the worst of it. You need to take at least 15 Immodium pills per day for it to have an effect.

Loperamide also binds to the same receptors in the brain as opiates (codeine) does so it helps a little bit with the withdrawal symptoms. Take panadol for stomach and body cramps but stick to the recommended dosage, you don't want to destroy your liver with it.

There are other things I would recommend but I won't say it here, I'll pm you though.

Stay strong, you may not know us but we are here to help. Some of the posters here are not in Australia and don't know the rules here but have a lot of experience in codeine addiction.

Feel free to contact me if you want to.

• Posted

I hadn't realised just how strict Australia were regarding codeine. You're right though the new rules will not help but what really concerned me was the lack of support by GP's where as here in the UK they are on the whole very supportive.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've decided to just suffer through the withdrawals. I was on 30 tabs of Nurofen + (and sometimes more) a day. I'm in a living hell right now and I appreciate your suggestions on getting through it. I figure there's probably some other way to get it, or even change codeine to something else, but I have children and don't want to go downhill further than I already have. I read some other posts you had written and it sounds like you're going through an awful time. I can't believe how clueless GP's can be. What have they been able to do for you in the ED? I'm just getting through minute by minute at the moment. None of my family know so I'm trying to keep it hidden. My husband thinks I've caught some bug and that I'm really unwell. I'll keep you posted and please let me know how you are getting on. I'm sure we can be a support to each other.
    • Posted

I know, or GP's are very dismissive when it comes to OTC addiction. Thanks for your reply, it's nice to know other people are about.
    • Posted

Hi ellenbe,

How are you going? I gave in today after 6 days of feeling crap? Going to give it another shot next week.

• Posted

Hi WilRo, well after not having anything from Monday though Friday, I had some last night, so basically I feel like I'm back to square one. I just needed a break fom the constant headaches and the extreme irritability. All it did really was make me feel sick, and nothing else really. I'm feeling shocking this morning, so back to the panadol for me today, and just hoping I can make another go of it, because to be honest I don't feel like I have much a choice. I don't know what I would do if I found a chemist that wasn't real time recording. At the moment, I've tried four different chemist chains and they're all doing the recording, I haven't bothered with trying any others. I'm feeling very low and depressed with the whole situation at the moment, I can't really foresee this getting any better. I have taken codeine in some form for about 20 years, so it's going to be hell learning to live without them. Keep me posted on how you are going, it's nice to know I'm not going through this alone. 
    • Posted

PS... the doc i met with every 2nd day and they set up what the cut was going to be. Tough, but manageable... bearlysmile
    • Posted

Hi WilRo, some docs will prescribe codeine alone when it comes to withdrawal. Really I have one. PM if you like, take care x
    • Posted

Hi jo57386,

Thanks for the reply, I know some doctors do but for me personally I'm past that now. Codeine completely destroys testosterone levels in males and also has a whole lot of other issues.

Im happy on the path I've taken, no more chemist shopping, no longer being addicted to codeine (soon) and giving my body time to heal from my past codeine abuse.

I feel like I'm finally on the path to recovery. Suboxone doesn't give me a high like codeine would. The next year of my life will be about breaking the physical and mental addiction I've had for the last 6 years. I'm really looking forward to that.

Wilro

• Posted

Hey Just read this post. My name is Joel, and I am happy to report that As of 24 hours ago I am now codiene free.

I went to two docs, a drug and alchol centre, and a refereal to a hospital, and non of themhelped. I finally found a doc who would help. 

I was on 80 nurophen plus a day.... and in 15 days I am done to none with the help  of my doc.... I still feel like crap... vomitting, and diarreaha.... But in 24 hours that should be gone.

Just a couple of commments. I tried to do it alone, and it doesnt work. I ended up telling my spouse who i thought would leave me, but to be honest they have helped nurse me back to health.

You need real people support.

Really hoping you are doing well! You can do this!

• Posted

Hi Joel, great to hear from you and thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like you've done amazingly well cutting down from that amount, and it's great you've got the support of a good GP and your spouse. I totally agree about not going through it alone. It's just killing me and I wish I could be honest. The shame stops me every time. I haven't told anyone except a doctor a while back and they were very dismissive. I just think it's strange that those in power thought addiction was rampant enough to restrict sales, but not bad enough to have hospitals and GPs give it the attention it deserves. I'm still feeling so bad, I just can't see how I will feel any better. I've been quite low over the last few days, I hope I can battle through.
  • Posted

Hey, been up for most of the night. Just yapping away my thoughts in the dark here. Things have been tough, I hope I turn a corner soon. The strangest thing about the withdrawals is the constant blocked sinus feeling and sneezing. So weird! I don't even know how long it's been, it's been a bit of a blur. I think about a week. No sleep, constant headaches quick I'm taking paracetamol for, irritability through the roof, and low mood. I know I just need to keep trudging, so that's exactly what I'm going to do. Just fake it until I make it. I've been so used to being in a codeine haze, or looking forward to being in one that it's going to take me quite some time to get used to being back in the real world fully present. I hope everyone coming off codeine is hanging in there.
  • Posted

How is everyone doing at the moment? Wilro, Joel, how about you guys? I'm not doing so great. The only reason that keeps me from taking any codeine is because I know even if I do get some, it will be hard to continue to get it, so what's the use. Plus, I never want to go through how I'm feeling again. I'm a basket case at the moment. But I guess you can't take something for 20 years and be cured overnight. You just have to dig your heels in I and accept recovery is going to be VERY long term. It's hard to start, continue, and finish the day right now.
    • Posted

Hi ellenbe,

You are showing a lot more strength than I am at the moment. I just bought some more. I seem to have a knack at getting around the rules at the moment but I know it won't last, it's getting harder.

I've gone through detox so many times now so I really should be able to do it but my mind just isn't in it at the moment.

Eventually you'll start to feel better but it will be difficult until then. Wow 20 years, that's a lifetime. Can I ask how old you are? I'm late 30's.

Keep it up, in the long run we'll all be better for it.

• Posted

Have your sinuses settled down?
    • Posted

Hey, just turned 40, and was prescribed panadeine forte when I was 20, so quite the slippery slope from there.

I was able to stop completely when pregnant, but seemed to just slip back in to it. I've had it over the years in all forms, mersyndol, panadeine, panadeine extra, nurofen plus. Nurofen plus being the most recent, going through a packet or more a day. I'm always so concerned about the damage I've done to myself and I would hate to have a check done on my liver, kidneys, and stomach because I'm sure things aren't good.

I'm just going through the motions of the day and feel like I'm losing my mind most of the time. The tablets have made up so much of who I am, there's a big void which I'm not sure how to fill. I had a pretty traumatic childhood, so I'm sure I used the tablets to cope and as a way of escape. I have a husband and two kids. I'm trying hard not to make their lives a misery, but this whole thing has just been awful.

Are you getting codeine through chemists that aren't recording your details, or they are? Trust me, I would have relapsed a thousand times over had the tablets been easier for me to get. Thanks for chatting, nice talking to someone who gets it.

• Posted

And the sinuses are still out of control. I can't go anywhere without a box of tissues.
    • Posted

Hi ellenbe,

If I were you I'd get a full blood test done. It may actually give you some peace of mind. My liver has been up and down over the years (I drank for a while too) but it's ok now. Paracetamol is far worse for your liver than ibuprofen. I take daily N-acetyl Cysteine supplements which is what hospitals use to reverse liver damage for people who overdose on paracetamol. It's fantastic for liver and cell membrane health.

I know of a couple of chemists who haven't implemented it yet and the ones that have I switch Id's until they catch on. Not proud of it but I guess that's addiction.

Have just ordered something from India which I've used before to quit without feeling like crap, should be here in about 10 days so I'll give it a go then.

• Posted

How many days have you off codeine for now?
    • Posted

Have you ever had the original sudafed, the one containing pseudoephedrine? Most chemists still sell it but it's just as difficult to get as they have been monitoring it for year. It would definitely make you feel better. You need to ask specifically for the sudafed with pseudoephedrine and explain to them about you sinuses saying the new sudafed PE doesn't work or gives you headaches. You would only be able to get a couple of boxes a year.
    • Posted

I think I've been off it now for just short of 2 weeks (Monday will be 2 weeks exactly). Although I took some last Saturday, I'm not going to let it derail me.

To be honest, it all still feels very acute, but given it's only the second week I'd expect that. Still not sleeping, and then when I am awake I'm really irritable. I don't think I've been without a headache since I stopped, but nothing that panadol can't manage. I think the hardest part has been dealing with everyday stress. It feels bigger than it should, and my anxiety goes through the roof.

Still thinking about whether to come clean to my husband. I've nearly told him a couple of times, but just haven't been able to.

Thanks for the advice re the doctors check up. I can see the sense in that and will make an appointment and get checked out. I just don't know what I'll do if I've done permanent damage (which is probable given the amount of time I've been taking them).

I normally switched between N+ so my liver would have a break, and then Panadeine so my kidneys world get a break. Stupid right? I'm shaking my head thinking how silly it sounds. Surely if I was that concerned about my health I would have just cut back or stopped altogether, instead I would just alternate between the 2.

Anyway, will bite the bullet and make an appointment. And thanks for the above re the Codral. I've used the 'real' ones before and they've been great, but with Codeine in them, I would steer clear of them. Maybe there is a similar product with pseudo in it and no codeine? Probably worth me having a look.

How much codeine have you been taking daily and in what form if you don't mind me asking? Do you do CWE? Good luck on cutting back/quitting when your product arrives. You've been through it before, and it sounds like you definitely have the strength to do it again.

I don't see myself out of the woods for a while yet, so I'll be hanging about if you need to vent. Do your friends/family know what you're going through?

• Posted

The sudafed brand is just pseudoephedrine, the codral brand has less pseudoephedrine and also contains paracetamol and codeine.

Not sure what your relationship with your husband is like (I hope good) so I won't tell you to be honest with him but in my experience telling my wife was important to me and she has stood by me through all my addiction issues with codeine and alcohol. Having support (especially from your partner) is hugely beneficial. I really hope you get that support from him.

At the moment I'm taking 30 N+ a day. At my worst before my stomach perforation I was taking 90 per day. The stomach perforation and surgery was the worst and most painful experience of my life and yet I'm still taking them. I've never done CWE.

My family are aware of my problems as well. My family are very supportive of each other though which is why I can be honest with them and not feel as though I need to hide it. There are positives and negatives to everyone knowing though.

• Posted

I don't think you'll find any permanent damage, maybe moderately damaged but nothing that can't be fixed. I'm glad you're going to have the tests done, it will assist you in recovery and give you additional motivation to stay off the codeine. Sort of like the feeling of being given a second chance and being grateful you're still healthy if you know what I mean?
    • Posted

Which state are you in? I'm in SA
    • Posted

Hi ellenbe,

Here is some more information you may find useful. These products will help with the feelings of anxiousness, excess nervous energy and sleeping difficulties.

You can buy these at good sized pharmacies.

1. Thompson's Once a day Kava tablets. Kava has similar effects to benzodiasapines. Which will help you to relax during withdrawals. Please don't by or use Kava supplements until you have the results for your liver through blood tests. Kava can be toxic to the liver especially if it's already impaired. I take 2 an hour before bed, my wife takes 1 in the morning. Do not take more than the recommended dose of 1 per day.

2. Thompson's Stress Manager. This contains Rhodiola rosea which is excellent for jitteryness and anxiousness. It will also help you sleep. You can take 3 tablets per day. I usually take one in the morning and 2 an hour before bed.

3. Thompson's Once a day Ginko 6000 which helps with mental clarity, focus and alertness.

4. Milk Thistle supplements. Milk Thistle is great for liver health, not as good as N-acetyl Cysteine but easier to get and it works.

I dont expect you to take my word on all this, never outright believe anything anyone on the internet tells you, but if you look these supplements up you can read the benefits for yourself.

• Posted

Hey Wilro, sorry for the delay, things have been busy. Thanks for all of those suggestions. I'm going to look at all of those products and see what I think will work best for me. I definitely need something for stress and anxiety so thank you for all of the tips.

I'm glad you've got support from your family. The more I think about, the more I know I need to tell my husband. I think I'm scared of the finality of it. Like if I tell him then that will be it, I'll never be able to take then again...which of course is what I want theoretically, but realistically, the prospect is very scary. And I'm not sure where that comes from, my husband is very kind, supportive, and loving, so I'm not sure why I'm so hesitant.

So, broke down and took some tablets on Friday. Again, it won't be my downfall. Disappointing, but I won't be deterred from my goal of complete freedom from codeine.

And in answer to your last question, I'm in Perth, WA.

• Posted

Hi ellenbe,

Little setbacks are ok. You've been going days without it compared to normal so health wise you've made big steps forward. Don't beat yourself up over it, 30 a week is a he'll of a lot better than 30 per day. I'm still taking daily, I just can't motivate myself to give it a serious go yet. It's coming though, I need to do it for myself and my wife and kids.

I don't know of any support services where you are so I can't help with that, sorry. In SA we have DASSA (drug and alcohol service south Australia) who are really good to talk to when feeling down. I'm sure WA would have something similar.

You're right, once you tell your husband that's it. You either stop or lie to him, unfortunately I do the latter, but having that support can make all the difference if you use your partners assistance to make a clean break. Just knowing someone else understands how crap you feel is very beneficial.

As always, good luck, keep it up, you can do it

• Posted

Thanks Wilro. If it was still my choice I'd be taking it every day. The choice is out of my hands now, so I don't have a choice.

I'm still struggling with the daily 'blah' of getting on with it every day if that makes sense? I feel like the fog protected me from the banal realities of everyday life. Now I just put one foot in front of the other each day even though I don't want to. I also hate small talk. I fake that a lot as well. It all feels so pointless and boring.

Well enough of me being a sad sack. I can't complain. My family are well and I'm still here for them. I need to be grateful for the small things.

Can your wife tell when you're using? I think I can hide it effectively from my husband, but that may not be the case. He may know more than he is letting on, who knows.

Are you still thinking of quitting when your product arrives from India?

• Posted

Yes I have another go when my stuff arrives. I was just banned from another pharmacy 30 mins ago.

My wife can tell, apparently I act differently. Other people can tell as well. I used to think no one could but quite a few close friends and family can. It took me a while to realise they could

• Posted

Wow, sorry to hear they didn't serve you. See, this is my problem with this whole process. They happily serve us codeine no questions asked for many years, then completely cut us off without warning! It makes me so angry. It's a process that hasn't been thought out well.

As much as I hate this, I'm kind of glad it's happened this way for me. I know if it was left in my hands I would have never given up.

What's next for you? Will you try another pharmacy? What options are open to you? So your wife knows you currently take it, or does she think you aren't taking them? You don't have to answer any of my questions if you don't want to, I will not be offended at all and completely respect what you decide to say and what you'd prefer to keep to yourself.

• Posted

I know how your feeling! I ended up on these wretched things after a horse riding accident and by time I realised I was addicted it was too late. I'm from Sydney and I hate the sudden change of monitoring N+ but I think I need this to get off it. Reading this thread has really helped me. I have never told anyone about my addiction.

• Posted

Hi Jess,

I think it's a really defining moment when you actually admit addiction (even to strangers). It's very confronting. What's good is that you're not deluding yourself.

I think with the new restrictions there will only be more and more of us in the same boat, and I know we can be a support to each other.

We can be free from this. I know what's different for me this time is the fact that it's now out of my hands. Even if I wanted to take again (which I do) I just can't. Simple as that. Keep us posted on how you are. We are all in this together. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.