Real time recording of codeine in Australia

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a long time codeine addict, and due to real time recording of codeine have been refused sale of codeine. I understand the reason that the Pharmacy Guild have put it in place, but is that where it ends? Just refuse selling it to people? I feel like they have not thought things through in bringing in these new regulations. They obviously know there are addicts, but have they thought past the notion of just cutting them off? Are there any safeguards in place for those of us who are heavily addicted and have been so for many years now. I read stories of people who then approach their GP, and are told the only option is go cold turkey. I'm really struggling and would like to hear how others are coping with these new changes. 

1 like, 268 replies

268 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello ellenbe.

I have been reading alot of your comments about what your going through and i myself am going through the same.

I'm in melb and the whole real time recording that's just been brought in has forced me to give it up.

So i just wanted to let u know your definitely not alone.

I'm on day 2 at the moment and the thing in struggling the most with is the no sleeping and restless legs. Please tell me it gets easier?

• Posted

Hey Surfgurl,

So tough isn't it, and congrats on making a really tough decision (although I think mostly taken out of our hands right).

Does it get easier?...yes, but with time. In my experience the acute physical symptoms ease after a couple of weeks. It's the mental stuff that's tough for me. All the stuff that I've been covering with codeine bubbles to the surface. Stress, anxiety, boredom, irritability. That's the stuff that's hard for me. Learning to live again without that buffer.

Basically I'm faking it until I make it. I know one day I'll feel contentment and happiness, but it would be unrealistic to expect it to quickly. I know it's ok to feel crappy, so I'm just taking it a day at a time.

Keep us posted on how you go. I find just venting or writing how I feel really helpful. It doesn't have to have a point, just getting it out there is enough.

• Posted

So just a general update on me. I'm about 15 days in so very early days. I've taken N+ on two occasions over this time. What's different about this time though is that when I've slipped up, I've just resolved to keep trying (as opposed to taking them daily again which I've done countless times in the past after a relapse).

I was up from about midnight to 4am last night unable to sleep so feeling groggy today and less than fantastic. I expect it is going to take a while for my sleep to improve but I'll wait.

Physical symptoms: The endless runny nose, light headache, that's about it.

Mental symptoms: OMG, not enough room. I'll articulate that another time.

General outlook: Hopeful. Glad to have this outlet to vent.

What I want: To tell my husband. Find some contentment in life. Increase exercise. Not feel so overwhelmed by everything.

• Posted

We are all in for a tough June here in Oz Ellen be. It is doable. I've done it before and Ill do it again. In fact I'm sitting in my office day 2 CT know g it will pass if I stay clean. We have no choice.
    • Posted

Hi Michael,

You're right, we have no choice. It sounds like you've been down the CT road before, but that didn't make it any easier does it. Stay strong!!

• Posted

It's going to be interesting over the next month or two with God knows how many people forced into withdrawals. I'm meeting with a pharmacist tomorrow to find out exactly what they are legally bound by now and what the pharmacy guild has told pharmacist how to handle addicted people.

I understand why they've done it, I wouldn't wish what I've been through on my worst enemy.

I have 2 young kids and I came close to dying a couple of months ago with a perforated stomach.

It's the way they have implemented the restriction that bothers me. I've had 3 meetings with drug and alcohol councillors, 3 doctors appointments and they still haven't been willing to help unless I go in as an inpatient which I refuse to do due to family and work commitments.

Eventually well all get there but it is going to suck for us in the meantime

• Posted

Wow, that will be an interesting meeting. Would love to hear what the pharmacist has to say, especially around duty of care for those if us who are heavily addicted.
    • Posted

The pharmacists have to protect otc sales as a matter of commercial importance so we are the collateral damage.

I am day 3. Feeling 50 % better especially after taking loperimide. Freezing sunny morning in Perth and I have taken myself to a cafe for late breakfast. Obviously missing my doc but this time I have no choice which in some respects is making g it easier. Enjoy the lovely day in Perth ellenbe.

• Posted

It's a beautiful day in Perth isn't it Michael. Definitely nice day for a late breakfast. Sounds like you're doing well. Day 3 for me is when the worst of the physical symptoms stay happening and it's very tough physically. It's good that the loperimide is helping somewhat, because I think any help in the early days is worth looking at.

I think this is the furthest I've ever got, but I think that's because like you said, the choice has been taken away from us.

I've even had thoughts about continuing taking codeine, but at a much reduced rate to avoid restriction through chemists. So ridiculous, but my addict mind is still hard at work trying to get the drug.

• Posted

you won't be able to take enough to get addicted again and tolerance will soon stop 4 panadeine extra a day being felt. Because they will quiz us to bits if we take 8 a day and buy a packet every 5 days. Imagine taking 4 a day now. Wouldn't feel it for longer than 20 mins. Was a time when 4 had me happy all day.

Under the new rules you will never get addicted.

Good luck. I know from reading I am a quick recoverer. I have bipolar and in my mid 50's after a train wreck 10 years starting at 35 I am on good meds that mean I stay pretty stable when I withdraw. With my illness there is no way I could cope with withdrawal depression otherwise.

Those of us who rely on codeine or whatever doc are fragile creatures (to an extent) and we need to look after ourselves.

By the way I lost one very good marriage to drugs and my bipolar symptoms so I have not told mysecond wife. In my view it is a personal fight she won't understand or tolerate and I am too old to introduce trust issues into the relationship but that's me at 54 and no longer a parent. I understand your desire to tell your husband.

• Posted

Hi Wilro,

Did you end up having a chat with the pharmacist? Hope you're going well.

• Posted

Hi ellenbe,

I haven't spoken to him yet as he was extremely busy the other day. I did argue (nicely) with 4 pharmacies yesterday and eventually got something using my passport and a fake address. It's getting much harder though. I've been outright banned at one pharmacy (notes on my record not to supply) I was up all night thinking about the next steps. Today I'm going back to the pharmacies I went to yesterday to get the names of the pharmacists. Not sure what I'm going to do with the information yet but I'm thinking about it. The real time recording isn't law yet, it's a voluntary system recommend by the pharmacy guild. You can't just throw thousands of people into withdrawals without a support system in place. It's not right

• Posted

Totally agree with your sentiments. Did they think people would just magically stop and all would be well if they just up and stopped supplying?

That's my biggest problem with these new changes. There was no support system in place.

Can you keep trying to find a doctor who has some knowledge on addiction and may be prepared to put you on codeine phosphate tablets and put you on a slow taper? I ended up going CT and it still continues to be awful, and I expect it to stay this way for a while yet.

You will get through this. Perhaps this was the catalyst we all needed to kick start us into reclaiming our lives.

Let me know how you get on. We're definitely in this together and I absolutely feel your pain.

• Posted

Feeling very blah today, and I have found the cravings very tough. I'm hanging in there though...barely. Hope everyone is hanging in there.
    • Posted

Can't say I feel great this morning, actually pretty recording I would relapse now.. 3 months ago I'd have stopped at a chemist on the way to work. Price line was the last chemist to go real-time and I could buy real time today as it is 7 days since I did a recorded buy. But with every one recording now I'd do 40 tabs in 36 hours and be right back where I was om Monday feeling real sick. So we soldier on.
    • Posted

Hi Michael, thanks for sharing your personal story about your bipolar and previous marriage.

It's tough isn't it. Addiction permeates every part of your life, and withdrawing can be extremely hard.

Keep strong, you're doing an amazing job.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.