Really bad burning pain - incisional hernia

Posted , 6 users are following.

This hernia is getting worse.  I am so fed up with it.  I am on reduced duties from work as wobbling around on public transport makes it so painful.  Last year was the same and I had to go on the sick.  If I do that again I'm likely to lose my job!

Today is my day off and I've hardly done anything.  Yet when I was walking round the supermarket the burning pain came back with a vengeance.  It was so bad that I could have cried.  That was 3 hours ago and now the pain is going into my back.

I don't know if I'm just being soft as nobody seem to believe the severity of this pain when it comes.  I'm seriously thinking of going to a and e if it doesn't get better soon.  I'm going to have to wait ages for my repair, although my initial appointment with the consultant has now been brought forward to August.  I'm just sick of my life at the minute.  Why can't the medical profession take me seriously?  It's just not on that I have to take time off work because of this.  

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lesley

I was just the same regarding work. I have gone down the disciplinary route regarding my illness but luckily I am in a good union who have been very supportive of me. I worked for months without eating a single morsel until 4/5PM every day as every time I ate the pain in my chest and stomach was sometimes unbearable. The vomiting also became a nuisance as I work full time on a factory production line. I didn't eat a thing in my food breaks for over twelve months. If you have an appointment to see your doctor you may be close to getting your repair. Where I live the NHS have a duty of care and offer a promise that, should you surgeon decide an op is required that you will receive your treatment within 18 weeks of that decision. Hopefully it is the same all over the country. It's been almost 3 weeks for me since my repair. I have made a conscious decision, that as my health is most important to me, I won't return to work until i feel fully recovered, whatever pressure I may be placed under. Even though I can't afford it  I'll face any consiquenses if and when they arise. Take care Lesley and fingers crossed you get your repair sooner rather than later x

• Posted

Thanks Julie.  It's good to know that I'm not alone in this.  I've been told that the 18 week rule doesn't apply in my case because my incisional hernia is a complication of the hernia surgery that I had last year and so not a new case.  I'm just sick of this pain now.  It makes me tired.  My pain is in my groin and I'm wondering if it's linked to eating as it always starts after I've had lunch, never in the morning (I don't have breakfast)

I have a good union but I'm now on my last warning for my sickness record.  My line manager says that it's just that they have to go through that procedure and not to worry about it  but obviously I do.

This will be my 4th hernia repair and. I don't know about you but, I've found  that the healing process seem to take longer each time.  I'm averaging 1 hernia a year now haha x

• Posted

Hi Lesley I too am waiting for  incisional hernia repair after op last march , just had gallbladder out last week thought they where going to do repair but said it was to dangerous to do both at the same time so god knows when they will do it ,mine is from belly button down,I feel like  and look like I'm 4months pregnant and  as I'm 58 it's not a good luck , I get a lot of discomfort  and by the end of the day get very uncomfortable , but if you are in that much pain to honest I think you should go A&E , they say mine is to big to strangulate but don't know if yours is I do hope you get it sorted soon ,and I don't think your soft if it's really painful for you then it's really painful   ,best of luck Lesley let us know how you get on x
    • Posted

Thanks, Christine.  I'm going to bed shortly and the pain will have gone by tomorrow but I've just told my so that I'm off to a and e tomorrow if I get so much as a twinge from it.  Mine isn't big but I don't think it's strangulated as I don't feel nauseous just exhausted and so sore.  I had the same pain last year and ti wasn't strangulated but when they went to repair that hernia they found that the mesh from a previous repair had wrapped itself round the new hernia and (after disbelieving how much pain I had) said that this was probably the cause of my pain.

Hope you get yours sorted soon x

• Posted

Hi Lesley 

your symptoms sounds similar to mine, my doctor changed my medication last week but I've not seen any improvement. Yesterday and today I've got heartburn, really sore aching burning tummy and the pains going right through to my back. No energy to do anything. This morning I woke up with phlegm and that horrible acid taste in my mouth. I feel horrible all the time and so down. Am really fed up to I keep crying it's that bad, it's also knocked my confidence going out. I go back to work on Monday after 9months mat leave and I feel so scared and worked up about that which isn't helping. I just don't know what to do now sad

• Posted

The phlegm and acid taste is usually when the hernia causes gerd, it happens a lot. Are you on painkillers or anything? What is the doctor planning to do?
    • Posted

It's not very nice is it, I can't get rid of it. No not on pain killers but I take esomeprazole in the morning, ranitidine at night and gaviscon throughout the day. The doctor only started me on these tabs last week, he's just trying me on these tabs for now see what happens. Think he's got something else in mind if these don't work.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah. Do you find the pillsl help at all? I took cimetidine and was much better for a bit. Then because I had a high dose of probiotics I suddenly felt much worse. The doctor has put me on the two antibiotics and omeprazole but it does nt help so take tramadol to take the edge off of the pain. Hope you feel better later. I know it is hard to get on with anything or even think of other things when it hurts so much.
    • Posted

Hi Carmel, it depends really if am having a bad day I don't feel any different taking them but I still take them. I was on omeprazole for a while but they didn't do anything for me. Thank you I know it's really hard I try and force myself to do things and I have a 9month old baby to look after to.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah, it must be hard with the baby to take care of, do you get any help with that? Does it also mean you don't get much chance to just relax or sleep? I have my four little dogs to take care of but that is quite simple, they can play in the garden and if they were not here wagging their tails and cuddling me I would feel far worse. It is a good thing they are here as I have to get up to feed them and focus on them instead of just thinking of how I feel and letting things go. What is your baby's name?
    • Posted

Hi Carmel, yea I do get a lot of help, he's a really good baby he's no trouble smile keeps me going and takes my kind off feeling rubbish. I try and rest when baby sleeps really I can't sleep in the day. He's called Harley.
    • Posted

What a lovely name, and quite posh. I love to watch my little dogs playing and romping and chasing each other,

and that keeps me going, maybe it is the same with you are Harley?

• Posted

Thank you smile am the same i love watching him playing and exploring his toys, I join in with him to smile he sure does keep me going smile we're on the go all day, then I rest when he's sleeping like now smile 

dogs are great company I love dogs there fun to watch smile what type of dogs are they? 

• Posted

Snap! I find it really relaxing and fascinating to watch them play together, they are four little chinese crested hairlesses, a girl and three boys, I never had kids so they are lilke my babies. And when I want them to they go to sleep so when I am well enough I can go out or do other things.
    • Posted

Awwww bless. Awwww course they are there your family smile yea am the same, on good days I can get so much done but bad days it just floors me. Does it not knock your confidence going out when your having a bad day? Is it a hiatus hernia you have? 
    • Posted

Still waiting for a proper diagnosis Sarah, my doctor said it could be hiatus hernia which causes gerd. I was puzzled beacuse I would get it back and then it would go away and then come back. So that is not an ulcer. Feel too ill to go out and too fed up, went out quickly to get some food yesterday and it was great to get out of the house and be in a shop and with people for a change.
    • Posted

Oh right, that's when mine does it will be fine for a week or so then it will flair up like yesterday and today. I've also had ulcers which was painful but on my last endoscopy they had cleared up which am glad about. Yea it is great to get out the house and see people isn't it, being stuck in the house can get you down to. 
    • Posted

Being stuck in the house on your own with the phone not ringing sucks, I have my little dogs and a garden but it does get lonely and boring. Am addicted to the programme Diagnosis Murder which is on every day and watch some of the soaps!
    • Posted

It does get boring, am always in the garden with baby, do housework, watch abit of telly, I go out for walks when I feel well. I go back to work next week for 3 afternoons which will do me good, am just so scared of how am going to feel or how my Tummys going to be. Need my confidence building back up. 
    • Posted

At least you will be back at work soon Sarah, things will be a lot less boring and you will get a change of scene and be with people I suppose.
    • Posted

Yea and it will take my mind off it a lot to, do you not work? Its just getting back into that routine again. Its so hard.
    • Posted

When I am well enough I work, not well enough right now, hence not going out now either.
    • Posted

It's horrible isn't it, we're under so much pressure to it doesn't help, what is your diet like, is there any drinks or foods that help you? 
    • Posted

Wow really your lucky then, chocolate irritates me, I have to stay away from spicy, fatty, greecy foods, fizzy drinks, certain pain killers irritate it to, it's a nightmare doing the food shop. 
    • Posted

Now you mention it Sarah I don't drink fizzy drinks as they make me too gassy and burpy, and some painkillers can irritate me, but I have just avoided them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.