Really bad burning pain - incisional hernia

Posted , 6 users are following.

This hernia is getting worse.  I am so fed up with it.  I am on reduced duties from work as wobbling around on public transport makes it so painful.  Last year was the same and I had to go on the sick.  If I do that again I'm likely to lose my job!

Today is my day off and I've hardly done anything.  Yet when I was walking round the supermarket the burning pain came back with a vengeance.  It was so bad that I could have cried.  That was 3 hours ago and now the pain is going into my back.

I don't know if I'm just being soft as nobody seem to believe the severity of this pain when it comes.  I'm seriously thinking of going to a and e if it doesn't get better soon.  I'm going to have to wait ages for my repair, although my initial appointment with the consultant has now been brought forward to August.  I'm just sick of my life at the minute.  Why can't the medical profession take me seriously?  It's just not on that I have to take time off work because of this.  

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lesly, My doctor thinks I may well have a hiatus hernia, my stomach is in a lot of pain constantly then it goes away for a few weeks or longer and then comes back.
  • Posted

Thanks, Sarah and Carmel.  it must be so hard having all of that pain when you have a small baby to care for!!  I'm glad my son is grown up now.  I must admit that I didn't realise that hernias could be so bad before I started getting mine.  I thought that they were just lumps.  I am grateful for this board.

I'm feeling much better today.  The pain reduced to a bit of a nagging pain overnight and I coped ok at work.  I suppose that I should be glad that it came on so badly on my day off.  I would have had to go home early yesterday.  I would love to know what brings it on though.

My hernia is in my groin and I think these are different types of hernia to hiatus hernias.  I don't get acid reflux or anything but my bowels are very erratic through it.  My GP believes that my bowel problems are unrelated to the hernias but I can see a vast improvement after the repairs.  Until the next one appears, that is.

Will they operate on your hernias, Sarah and Carmel?  My Mam had a hiatus hernia but they wouldn't do anything about hers.  That might have been her age though x

• Posted

Not sure it is a hiatus hernia yet waiting to go to hospital to be sure, but it seems very likely and it comes with gerd - maybe things were different a few years ago too, things improve don't they with medications and operations and such.
    • Posted

I think it was Mam's age.  She was 79 when it was diagnosed, although with hindsight I think she'd had it for years.  It was awful.  She used to choke so much that she'd vomit sometimes but she also had dementia and used to bolt her food if you weren't watching x
    • Posted

Hi Lesley, I know it's not good having aches and pains all the time, I'd never heard of a hiatus hernia before I got mine and there quite popular. Sometimes you think your the only one.

my doctor has mentioned the operation but he didn't really go into it, he said it doesn't always take effect and it can come back again and again, he's just trying me on different meds at the moment to see if anything works for me. 

• Posted

I don't know  that much about hiatus hernias but I'm becoming an expert in the other sorts!  Sites like this are very handy.

I hope you both get yours sorted out soon x

• Posted

They are really handy and useful, it's good you can talk to people in similar situations to yourself, thank you x
  • Posted

Well, I had my appointment with the consultant today.  I told him all about the pain and bloating I have.  He said that it does sound like a hernia causing a blockage.  However, despite the fact that the flaming thing was out again on Tuesday and wouldn't go back in, it absolutely refused to emerge for him today!  He then said that it could be adhesions causing temporary blockages and I must wait for an ultrasound.  If that shows nothing I need a CAT scan.  If either show a hernia then it's a 3 - 6 month wait for surgery!!!

I really wish I'd gone to a and e on Tuesday now.  I actually felt the hernia pop back in later that day.  It felt like a baby kicking and all my insides seemed to jolt.  It was so painful when it was out.  Despite this I tried to push it back in and it wouldn't budge.  Surely that's not safe.  I only didn't go to a and e because I read that hernia surgery can be dangerous when performed as an emergency and also because I had my appointment today

• Posted

Hi Lesley    Just newly found this site.  Incisonal Hernia -- I had a heart bypass 5 years ago and was put on medication (Ramipril) which I had previously had and it gave me a side effect of a constant tickly cough, although I told them at the Hospital they said it had been prescribed and I should go and see my GP if I got the side effect again. Sure enough 2/3weeks after surgery (very painful incision/breastbone) I was coughing then it was days before I could see GP who changed my meds but the cough then had to subside so- It was maybe 6/7 weeks before cough went. I guess this is where the incisional hernia came from? 

I have had a persistent dry cough with tiny bits of phlem then I seem to get a full chest infection with nasty phlem GP given antibiotics and Asthma Inhalers!!  I havent been back its not Asthma! but I wish I could get rid of cough had it for  approx 9 months.  I got it checked (xrays) no serious problems (cancer!) BUT this has made my Hernia twice as big as it was and I am worried about it have made GP approintment but more worried about another incision in front of my chest as it is on the scar where it was made weak initially with the cough after Bypass surgery.   Are all hernias painful, mine is very uncomfortable as it is right under the middle of my bra! and I feel so bloated especially after eating meal, or as if somethng is stopping me bending in that area

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.