Really bad dandruff, oozing scabs on scalp

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All,

Since my hyserectomy (2+ years ago) I've had all the usual menopause problems, probably made worse by having the hysterectomy, but that was unavoidable.

My doctor and I are trying to sort out the best thing to do - Due to breast cancer being high in my immediate family and my blood problem, HRT is out of the question. (believe me we've gone down every route)

I'm having sweats - night and day and have a wet scalp most of the time, these have got worse in the last 2 years.

I leave my hair to dry naturally as a hair drier sound starts off my ears playing up (MD)

I've been taking extra vitamins and minerals and supplements and changed my diet, to help, which they all do.

the huge flakes of dandruff on my scalp, sometimes ooze clear liquid, occasionally blood.

I wash my hair about twice a week. I'm disabled and need my partner or other help to do this and I can't cope with doing it more often as I'm drained of energy from coping with my MD, eye problems, sciatica and others. (the list is getting longer by the day. lol)

I've tried every anti dandruff shampoo out there (polytar shampoo helps a bit, but a locally made rosemary, tea tree and cypress shampoo is the best so far and it's all natural ingredients. I can't use anything with added perfume.)

I rinse my hair really well.

I realise that this is not getting to the root of the problem, but suggestions are welcome.

I'm on a healthier diet, which is also helping (don't mention the Valentine's day chocs though!!!!)

I drink plenty of water (for other health reasons) and have my regular body mineral and vitamin checks to make sure I'm not lacking in anything -  so far I haven't been.

Oh, and I don't scratch my head, been told not to by hairdresser!

Has anyone had the same problem?

Oh, Also, I have never had dandruff in my life before the menopause.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Wen I'm sorry about your sculpt issue, I believe it is a form of sculpt psoriasis I have been diagnosed with sculpt psoriasis and suffer from the same semtoms

• Posted

I would defeat You get a second opinion from a different Doctor
  • Posted

I had some of the same problems before and after forced menopause.  But not bad night sweats.  My scalp had oozing scabs and bleeding.  Went to a dermatologist and got cortisone shots, felt good a couple of days and then went right back.  Continued to get cortisone shots on the scalp and my hair started to fall out   Did not go back to dermatologist.  Got some baby cradle scalp that comes with a brush, I think it mostly moisturized my scalp.  Then after a lot of reading I came up with my own remendy that worked!  I took a plastic mixing bowl large enough to dip my head in. Put a little warm water in it and added 6 to 8 drops each of lavender oil, rosemary oil and oregano oil.  Got in the shower washed my hair then got the bowl finished filling it with warm water bent over and dipped my head in sort of like a plunger creating a slight suction so it would get in my scalp.  Then I put conditioner on just the ends of my hair left it in a few minutes and rinsed out.  It did clear up and I praise God for his wisdom. I also buy psoriasis scalp oil and try to keep my scalp moisturized to prevent the out break. I truly hope this works for you.  It does sting a little bit , I think it's the oregano killing the germs.

• Posted

See above reply to BeeMee..... My problem has been solved

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.