REALLY Bad Experience of Colonoscopy

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi. I'm 53 and had my first colonoscopy today. Because I had no-one available to take me home I opted for the gas and air. I have to say it was an absolutely horrendous experience for me; absolutely excruciating. The endoscopist did say I had a particularly tight twist on the first bend and he swapped the scope out for a paediatric scope and then he actually got past the tight part, but I still couldn't bear the cramping and the pressure from him pushing the scope through my bowel.

I have had 2 children; the second with just gas and air for pain relief so I honestly thought I'd be OK, but this was worse than any Labour contraction. I suffer from IBS symptoms so I don't know if I have a particularly sensitive bowel or not.

The endoscopist had to terminate the procedure as I became so distressed. Unfortunately, because he had found and removed a rectal polyp (this was not painful at all ... I even watched it on the camera), he has said I have to go through the whole procedure again, with sedation, at a later date. I was then wheeled out to the recovery area where I could not stop sobbing. The nurses in the department were very nice, but I was tearful for a while afterwards.

Needless to say, I am absolutely petrified of my second procedure. I have read that the sedation doesn't actually put you to sleep but rather just "relaxes" you. What if I can still feel the pain or the sedation doesn't work at all and I have to go through that and the procedure has to be stopped a second time?

I even went so far as to call my consultant's secretary and left her a voicemail asking her if he would refer me for a colonoscopy under general anaesthetic (the hospital told me they do this under some circumstances).

Still feeling traumatised by the whole experience and wonder if anyone else has had to have a second procedure and if it was any better the second time around.

SW

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Here is what you do about it. You tell them that you require to be put under general anesthesia, due to the fact that you suffered so much when you tried it without. Don't let them talk you into the conscious sedation, that doesn't always work, but you will not remember being in pain, if you were. I always remember, so I get kinda angry with my doctor if I was hurting. So, just opt to be put out. I did get the conscious sedation and it worked for me this time. They used Propofol and Fentanyl . This worked well and I was in no pain. I was so worried about it my doctor said she wouldn't even touch me until I was out or told her it was ok. If you have a doctor like this, then no worries. Just make sure you let them know you are not willing to go through that again. I had three polyps that were very large removed, so yea it is probably something you need as when they find one they will most likely find more.

• Posted

That sounds horrendous, I'm sorry you had such an awful experience.

if it's any consolation I had mine with sedation (I was nervous after the consultant recommended I have it due to being a younger patient and assumed it was going to be very painful) and I had no pain during the procedure at all. The twists and turns I commented at the time that it was a bit more than a push or a tug I was feeling and he moved me around to avoid any discomfort but I defeinitely didn't feel any pain as you've described it so I hope that with sedation you are more comfortable. It also helps you feel more relaxed about the procedure so if you're anxious then I expect you'll find it beneficial.

like you I have to return for a further procedure and while I'm not looking forward to it I'm reassured by my experience with the sedation. I really hope this helps you.

• Posted

Thank you all for your comments. I am presently still awaiting a date for my repeat colonoscopy with either sedation or (fingers crossed) general anaesthetic, but I am absolutely dreading it. I'm afraid I am going to be an absolute wreck when i turn up at the hospital and unsettle all the other patients in the waiting area. I will post back here when I have further news

• Posted

Hi. I’m having a virtual ct colonoscopy next week and like you I’m scared. I had a colonoscopy attempt and again was so painful my pulse was through the roof and I was crying out. 

Im scared of the virtual one because a colleague who tolerated the colonoscopy with no pain found the virtual one painful. Anyone tried diazepam? And in what dosage and how long before? Was it successful? Thanks in advance 

• Posted

After my colonoscopy which I couldn't tolerate I found it unbearable . Before hand I'd took 2 diazepam approx 4mg also I was sedated .

I had a virtual colonoscopy which I was dreading again I took 2 diazepam beforehand just to calm me down.

Your not sedated for this procedure. I can honestly say was pain free and nothing to be afraid of. I'd worried myself sick for nothing .

I've spoke to someone on here a while back told them the same and.. After they'd had it done was messaged and thanked as it was also no problem for them too . Please don't worry it's really not painful the hardest part is trying not to fart lol

• Posted

Update: I now have my appointment for my second colonoscopy at 1pm on Wednesday 25 October.  No mention of general anaesthetic (assume my request was refused), but I am DEFINITELY going for sedation plus painkillers.  Needless to say I'm "bricking it".  I will post back and let you know how I get on.

• Posted

Oh no I am 58 and going to have a Colonoscopy next week, I was going to go for gas and air, because my daughter is taking me, and so I thought she wouldn't have to hang around so long then, but now I am thinking I will go for sedation, the hospital told me it shouldn't be painful just a little uncomfortable, I am not allowed to drive at the moment and hate relying on my daughter to get me to appointments. I really hope you are feeling better now.

• Posted

Oh I would definitely go for the sedation, especially if it is your first colonoscopy.  You never know, you may have a perfect textbook colon, but obviously until they take a look there's no way of knowing.  If they then tell you afterwards that the procedure was straightforward, you may be able to consider having the gas and air next time if need be. 

• Posted

To be honest, if it is a structural issue (and we are all made differently!) I cannot see why a second procedure would be different although you need to tell them about the problem and that you need a smaller scope. Sedation is probably the only thing short of being knocked out completely that would make a difference. I have always thought gas and air is just a placebo.
  • Posted

Well, I had an appointment today to see my colorectal consultant about a separate issue (possible requirement for surgical repair of a rectocoele) and he said I could have a general anaesthetic for the procedure, but that my current appointment on the 25th would most likely have to be cancelled and another one made to accommodate the anaesthetist.  To be perfectly honest, I want the whole thing over and done with as soon as possible so I opted for the sedation and pain relief.  He's dictating a letter to the Endoscopy Department to warn them that I am nervous and to tell them to give me the maximum amount of sedation/pain relief.   

I hope to be able to give you a much more positive account of my experience in two weeks' time!

• Posted

Susie, hope you read this before procedure.  I had a sigmoidoscopy about 5 years ago and it was a really uncomfortable procedure- apparently I have an awkward loop in my bowel and I think they had to introduce more air to get round it.  When i was told I had to have a full colonoscopy, I was tempted to say no but the possible alternative of them missing something that may be life-threatening overcame my dread.  I am pleased to say the full colonoscopy was a doddle - well apart from the prep!  I told them about my previous painful episode and they gave me Fentinol as a painkiller (wonderful!) and Midazolam as a sedative with gas and air on stand by if I needed it.  A few seconds after the Fentinol went in, I was feeling great then the sedative cut in.  The next thing I remember was the doctor saying "all done".  No need for the gas and air (Entonox).  Before the procedure the nurse said they can administer more Fentinol if necessary so get all this clear with them tomorrow.  For me, it was close to having a general anaesthetic and I am sure your experience will be the same.  If they told me I had to have another, I would now say bring it on.  Hope all goes well and come back here to say how it went.

• Posted

Hello Michael - just got back from the hospital now.  So pleased your colonoscopy went well for you.  I am pleased to report that it was an altogether much more positive experience for me second time around!

I actually had a consultant do my colonoscopy and she and her nurses did a really good job of making me relaxed (my blood pressure was through the roof when they took it on arrival!).  I was given 3mg of Midazolam and 50mcg Fentanyl.  To be perfectly honest the Midazolam didn't affect me as I didn't feel sedated at all but the Fentanyl certainly did its job as she navigated around my difficult sigmoid colon.  I was able to watch the whole thing on screen and was able to co-operate with the nurse's instruction to move onto my back so the scope could travel along the transverse colon.  The Fentanyl was starting to wear off as she approached a tight turn (which I think was the hepatic flexure) and very shortly after that she had reached the caecum.  I have some lovely(?) souvenir photographs of my terminal ileum, caecum and opening to the appendix.  At this point I was asked if I wanted more pain relief, but as I knew the procedure was virtually at an end I said I was feeling OK.  The only really uncomfortable part was right at the very end, when she turned the scope back on itself to view my anus from the inside (and I have another souvenir photograph of that!).  Even then it was not nearly as painful as the last time.

I wonder if my experience was so bad because I had a relatively young and inexperienced doctor the last time (though I appreciate they all have to learn).  No more polyps this time, but the report did state that I have "extensive sigmoid diverticular disease", so now I have to wait for an appointment for a proctogram my consultant to write to me to see how he wants to proceed. 

I think some people are more sensitive to the Midazolam as well - a couple of people I met in the recovery area said they didn't remember much of their procedure at all.  Well I remembered everything, but as I say, the pain relief did its job so it's all good!

SW

• Posted

Susie, I am so pleased it went well and I am very impressed with your anatomical knowledge! I think you may be right about the experience level of the doctor - I was told I was getting the best and I can't disagree. So it's diverticular disease not diverticulitis - which is good.  Well, not good but you know what I mean.  Sounds like you will be on a high fibre diet if you are not already.  Have you had constipation or difficulty passing stools as I understand this can be a cause especially to us of a certain age.  At least the doctor can get to grips with the proper treatment now and I wish you all the best in what I am sure will be an improvement in the coming months.  Best wishes,  Mike

• Posted

Hi Suzy well I had my Colonoscopy last weds, they would not give me sedation because I live alone, so had to go with just gas and air, I found the worst part was actually inserting the camera into the rectum, which hurt a bit, the rest I just found uncomfortable but not painful, my blood pressure was really high, when I arrived, (it is not usually high) but went back to normal after wards. I had 3 medium sized polyps removed and biopsies taken of the Colon, they seemed to think all looked OK, just waiting for results now, and have to have another one done in 3 years 😣 but on the whole I really didn't find it as bad as I thought it would be so will be happy to have just gas and air next time too, I hope u are OK now.

• Posted

Hello Jan - so glad your colonoscopy went well for you.  My blood pressure was 180/140 when I arrived at the Endoscopy Department!  I told the nurse that I couldn't believe it was that high and she said "Well, that's what the machine says, but it's probably just because you're nervous", so it is probably not that unusual!

As I said above in my reply to Michael, I think it probably makes a huge difference who is on the other end of the colonoscope (also I have a difficult sigmoid colon with lots of loops and diverticulae), and last time I had a relatively young doctor, whereas today my procedure was done by a consultant.

Hope your polyp and biopsy results turn out to be OK.  I am sure will be fine with gas and air in future too.

All the best.

SW

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.