Really bad luck

Posted , 26 users are following.

I think I'm cursed. I have so many diseases and conditions several of which cause pain and none of which will kill me. So yesterday at around noon I had something horrible happen to me. I was stepping out of my car and I put my left foot down and I slipped on the gravel as I was falling. I tried to catch myself with my right foot then down I went hitting the ground on my left side. The results are three broken bones in my left ankle, a sprained right ankle and bruised ribs on my left side. I just had surgery on my left ankle this morning. And since I can't walk or utilize either foot I can't get out of bed so I have to use a bedpan which really sucks. I am also at the mercy of anyone and everyone to get things for me or pick things up that I drop, all of that. The doctor who performed the surgery this morning came in to talk to me a little while ago. He told me that I would probably be in the hospital for a few days and then most likely will have to go to a rehab facility since I can't walk. I am dreading that so much all I want to do is go home. I know this isn't PMR realated but I guess I wanted to share my doom and gloom feelings tonight. Thank you for reading this.

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am so sorry, amkoffee, for your problems.  It must be very difficult to rely on others to help you right now, but if you just keep thinking that it won't last forever.  You will heal and get better and be able to be on your own.   The rehab facilities can do wonders for getting you back on your feet (so to speak).    I am sending prayers your way for a fast recovery.  

• Posted

Amkofee what bad luck to have a fall like this.  But rest and rehabilitation a must for anyone with a broken ankle.  Sit back and enjoy being waited on.  You are always a star on this forum with your good advice and helpful hints.  Get well soon and keep posting. 😍

• Posted

What a pain! I have a friend who is in hospital, out of hospital or about to fall and damage another part of her body. We are afraid to ask her husband (who plays petanque with us) how she is just in case there's been another mishap. Today she turned up for petanque and - before I could shut my gob - asked how she was and the answer came back "I am fine." Nearly fell off my chair. We joked (with her) that all this comes about because she used to be a hospital nurse and can't bear to be away from it.

Living on my own, I have to be extra careful about falls. 

Hope your 'curses' are sorted soon. 

• Posted

Oh so sad for you! How very horrible!

All I can say I am thinking of you, and pray for you.

Very much hope you will be able to go home soon.

• Posted

I agree with others, enjoy being waited on while you recover and hope you then keep really well 
  • Posted

I am so sorry for all your sickness. I have been there but things will get better. Hang in there.
  • Posted

That is completely and utterly rotten. I feel for you experiencing this on top of PMG - your resistance is already low. On a practical note if you google grabber or reacher you may like to get one so that you can pick things up and have a little control. Very warmest of wishes for your recovery - hope you feel better in yourself this morning. 😘

• Posted

What a wonderful idea. I have one at home I just never thought to bring it to the hospital to use. Thank you for the idea. I have found that since the accident my mind is very boggled. I think my brain must have shook in my head in my fall. Haha!
  • Posted

I think falls are what I fear most. They happen for ridiculous reasons ( caught foot in electric blanket cord, tripped over garden hose among others.  )So far I've been lucky so I really sympathise with your feeling of having a curse laid on you.

Then, relying on others. Ugh. Are you an oldest child by any chance? That makes you feel guilty whenever you can't live up to expectations laid down in childhood. I still feel responsible for my more than competent seventy something sister!  Old age must be great for lazy people who would love rehab. No responsibilities except to do as you are told.

Keep sharing the gloom when it helps. Thinking of you.

• Posted

Oh amkoffee - I am sorry! Just make the most of being waited on - though I know how longwinded that can be when you are in a hurry to get something! I do hope your rehab place turns out to be nice, the sprain heals quickly and the break heals well.

We just met a lady in our village who stepped down a step too many and broke her ankle back before xmas and was non-weightbearing with a plastercast for 7 weeks - I wondered why I hadn't seen her about and was a bit worried (she is 83 but still rides her bike!). So now I hope I won't meet a third...

• Posted

My doctor tells me 8 weeks with no weight on it. And for the next two weeks I'll have my splint on and then I go to his office have it x-rayed and then have a cast put on. I've never had a cast before I'm sure they're very itchy and uncomfortable.

The one thing I hate the most about being restricted to my bed is having to use the bedpan. It's this reason I haven't had a BM in 2 days. I've never even had to use a bedpan before so that took some learning but I've got that down pretty good now. But I am trying to restrict my water intake so I don't have to bother them too many times a day.

• Posted

We take so much for granted and it's so hard to have to depend on others for basic needs. As a youngster I was in hospital and refused to use a bedpan following major surgery. They had to wheel me to a toilet. I was stubborn even as a child. I understand your actions re the bedpan. The staff will probably be keeping an eye on your intake and output so try not to give yourself further problems with restricting the intake. It's so difficult when we cannot spontaneously go and do what we want.

• Posted

That was my thought too, Eileen, and the reason I mentioned the staff would be observing.
    • Posted

Oh Amkoffee, just sending best wishes and hope you feel better very soon.

maryx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.