Really bad luck

Posted , 26 users are following.

I think I'm cursed. I have so many diseases and conditions several of which cause pain and none of which will kill me. So yesterday at around noon I had something horrible happen to me. I was stepping out of my car and I put my left foot down and I slipped on the gravel as I was falling. I tried to catch myself with my right foot then down I went hitting the ground on my left side. The results are three broken bones in my left ankle, a sprained right ankle and bruised ribs on my left side. I just had surgery on my left ankle this morning. And since I can't walk or utilize either foot I can't get out of bed so I have to use a bedpan which really sucks. I am also at the mercy of anyone and everyone to get things for me or pick things up that I drop, all of that. The doctor who performed the surgery this morning came in to talk to me a little while ago. He told me that I would probably be in the hospital for a few days and then most likely will have to go to a rehab facility since I can't walk. I am dreading that so much all I want to do is go home. I know this isn't PMR realated but I guess I wanted to share my doom and gloom feelings tonight. Thank you for reading this.

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

That really was very bad luck - I feel for you - it's NOT FAIR !!! Wish I could say something to cheer you up but there probably isn't anything that would do that vert well at present. The only thing is - just remind yourself - this isn't a permanent situation -  and you will get home ... just hang in there Amkoffee - we are all in your corner !

Best wishes 

Rimmy

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your misfortune. That truly sucks and adds insult to injury. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery. Hope you are back in action soon.
  • Posted

So sorry amkoffee, it probably will

Be hard to sit and not do anything, but enjoy being waited on. Get a few good books and make the most of it. Take care we will all be thinking of you.  These

Are for you 💐

• Posted

So sorry you’re having a rough spot. I would use the forced inactivity to catch up on a hobby, like knitting, reading, painting, sewing, etc. Hope the time goes by fast.
  • Posted

Amkoffee,  I am so sorry about your fall.

So frightening to feel it happenig & not be able to get control enough to stop it.

• Posted

I'm so sorry about your fall.

It must have been so frightening to feel yourself going down and not able to stop it.

I understand your need to go home but rehab can do wonders for you and you will learn how to do things for yourself more quickly. You can even get caught up on some sleep.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

It is perfectly acceptable to share this on the forum. 

After all, we are "family".

Take care and heal quickly.

• Posted

What a scunner. I'm so sorry to hear of your rotten luck. Try to think of it another way if you can unless you're in Australia. It's still Winter and you will be having rehab in the cold weather so when you are fitter the weather will be better and the Spring flowers will be out. Best wishes for a speedy recovery though I guess it will be a game of patience. Have you considered learning to play ukulele? It passes the time and is fun.

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your problems at the moment, I can only hope that you can find one small thing each day that will make you smile and that you will soon be on the way to recovery.

Thinking of you 😊

• Posted

Oh, golly!  Just adds insult to injury, for sure. I took an awful fall about 2 months ago, and wonder of wonders, nothing broke!  Knocked myself out. Told rheumy my bones must be strong again, she said..you were just lucky...be extra careful. This journey has given me about every side effect it can. I now feel like a hypochondriac, fearful of anything strange that hurts, aches, etc. I really relate to your ‘bedpan’ dilemma. UGH. I had to have surgery for vaginal/rectal/bladder fistula, and then came home with a catheter...ugh. What horrors...thank goodness for my dear hubby, who was right there to help. I pray for good recovery and healing of your ankle. Don’t rush it..read some good books, do some puzzles on iPad, or whatever you use to ‘play’. Keep a stiff upper lip.. warm hugs from a fellow PMR journey woman in the USA 🌨??🌷🥀

• Posted

So sorry for your bad luck. Praying for a speedy recovery.Lots of friends here sending you well wishes! smile
  • Posted

Hi amkoffee. My prayers go with you. Stay strong, you can do this.
  • Posted

Just a quick little update... I met with a PT yesterday and he was able to get me standing on my sprained ankle using a walker. I was able to scoot the few inches over to the recliner and sit down. It was the first time I've sat down since Tuesday. And it hurt like hell to stand on my sprained ankle. Everyone has decided that I need to go to a rehab facility instead of going directly home. The first one they applied to turn me down. That was a disappointment because I was familiar with this facility and it was close to home. So the caseworker and I picked out four other locations and she's going to start applying to each one until someone can take me. The PT said I shouldn't have to stay long just long enough for my sprained ankle to heal. Well I hope that I get into a nice facility.

• Posted

It sounds like some progress is being made, though slow and painful. I hope you have a rehab placement soon and work towards home. There's no place like home. Best wishes.

• Posted

Things are definitely moving in the right direction. Fingers crossed you get somewhere good and get the help with healing that you need. 🤞

• Posted

So glad to hear you are up now, sounding a bit happier. I hope this means you are able to use the toilet.

I hope your recovery will be swift and you will be home soon.

you have been through enough!

All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.