Really bad luck

Posted , 26 users are following.

I think I'm cursed. I have so many diseases and conditions several of which cause pain and none of which will kill me. So yesterday at around noon I had something horrible happen to me. I was stepping out of my car and I put my left foot down and I slipped on the gravel as I was falling. I tried to catch myself with my right foot then down I went hitting the ground on my left side. The results are three broken bones in my left ankle, a sprained right ankle and bruised ribs on my left side. I just had surgery on my left ankle this morning. And since I can't walk or utilize either foot I can't get out of bed so I have to use a bedpan which really sucks. I am also at the mercy of anyone and everyone to get things for me or pick things up that I drop, all of that. The doctor who performed the surgery this morning came in to talk to me a little while ago. He told me that I would probably be in the hospital for a few days and then most likely will have to go to a rehab facility since I can't walk. I am dreading that so much all I want to do is go home. I know this isn't PMR realated but I guess I wanted to share my doom and gloom feelings tonight. Thank you for reading this.

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm glad that people seem to be looking out for you, and I hope you do get into a nice facility and can have the time to heal properly.  Maybe it will turn out to be like a little vacation.  Fingers crossed.  

• Posted

This is definitely not going to be any little vacation. But I have finally gotten to a place that respects me. the hospital I was at or at least the orthopedic floor was terrible. I posted in another thread the horrible things the nurses did with my medication. So I won't go into it here. But as for me I am happy to be here I have managed to get up on my one foot multiple times. Of course you can't walk on one foot so I kind of scooch from my bed to the commode and back to my bed. Or sometimes I'll sit on the recliner in my room. One thing I absolutely have not been able to do yet is let my broken ankle hang down like sitting in a wheelchair. If I don't have it elevated it throbs. So for the time being I'm eating all my meals in bed. But just being able to get up get it to the commode and then back to bed is progress. Especially when you consider that the foot I'm putting all my weight on (which is a lot) is sprained and still very tender. I saw the occupational therapist just a little bit ago and I should be seeing the physical therapist sometime today. My husband was here when she came in which was great because I know he's been going around our house trying to figure things out for when I go home and he was able to answer a lot of her questions about our house. And I'm talking about things like how high all the thresholds are or is the doorway wide enough for my scooter things like that. And yes fortunately I already have a scooter. I just never used it in the house it was always to use like when I went to a store or anywhere that required a lot of walking. But I'm looking forward to tomorrow. I will have two different visitors tomorrow...my older sister and my son.

• Posted

Just checked in to catch up after having my keyboard go on strike or whatever happens when they stop working.  The first thing  I see is that  you had a really bad fall, Amkoffee, and -  I am so sorry.   PMR is hard enough to cope with - not to mention all the rest -   breaks and sprains are  real bad luck but  the added insult of  the  bedpan is just too much to bear!   If you can deal with that - you can deal with anything  - you know - it could be worse - my biggest fear in hospitalisation is the diaper - eeeeeeeeekkkkkkks -   horrors!

Be strong, be well and, dare i say it - be patient while you are on the mendsad and you are welcome to yell, scream and moan to your colleagues on the PMR forum who are there for you.  

• Posted

Ricky you are so funny but you hit a sensitive spot. After my bedpan leaked several times the CNA tried putting a diaper on me and telling me that I could just pee in it. I started to just cry. Soon as she got it on I took it right off and refuse to wear it. And then today I push the button cuz I had to go to the bathroom when no one came for me I decided to try it on my own. Sure enough I was able to do it. And I was darn proud of myself. No diaper for me no siree.
    • Posted

Well done, you. As long as you do no physical damage the fillip to your spirits, ( not to mention a raspberry to the helper who didn't come )  ( I wanted to put something less polite but might get moderated ) is a big bonus. We all know that hospital staff think nothing of  temporarily incontinent adults but as we have been used to being dry since around 2 yrs. old, we are not quite so phlegmatic as they are.

Be careful.

• Posted

Brilliant! Attagirl! Proud of you:-)

(But don't let your pride put you at risk...)

• Posted

That's the spirit!! Hey, I'm reading all you say and want to send you a really big hug. 

• Posted

Its really horrible being at the mercy of everyone. I only have my husband living with me because all family live a long way away and I'm now suffering depression which makes him really mad at me, then when he gets mad I end up crying which makes him even madder. I really feel I'm at his mercy with everything. the trouble is when I told my doctor he just said its normal for carers to get cross because of the stress they are under. I told the psychiatrist and she just said phone the police. I told a social worker friend who said the same as the doctor. The trouble is when family phobne he's really nice so they don't believe what's happening. 

• Posted

I'm not sure what support you have but if you live in the UK you are entitled to a carer's assessment. Support should be looked at and advice given as to where you can receive this plus a referral made to such services. This can be sought through social services but I know it varies from area to area.

• Posted

Can you go to family for a break from each other for a while ? Can other family members, Doctor or Psychiatrist recommend a rehab type place for you so you can both have time  apart for a while?

• Posted

If you are enduring abuse and are not being believed perhaps you might want to consider turning on the record button of your cellphone.....
    • Posted

The problem is I haven't got a smart cell phone and can't afford one and wouldn't know who would listen to it anyway. My brother who is 80 and lives a long way away believes me but is too old to do much. He was appalled that my GP said it's normal for carers to be like this. My husband is seeing the same GP for high blood pressure, which he says I've caused and seems to be getting more help from him than I am

• Posted

Think I might look for a different GP...

It may be "normal" for carers to be like that and it is understandable - but that does not mean it is acceptable nor something that should be ignored. It is a sign they are not coping and need help.

I have no doubt (I hate to say) that your husband's "story" to the GP has undermined your position greatly and you need someone without preconceptions to be brought in.

• Posted

It looks like both you and your husband are overwhelmed and in need of help and support.  \if you have notified the social worker and the gp and have been advised to call the police - there must be a reason for your having decided not to do that....   if there is a local community organisation which deals with people who are being abused you should be able to get some advice about help and support for you both,  i am surprised the social worker did not suggest that.  the phone books will have some information and if you no longer have a  phone book you could probably get some information from the local public library.   keep trying.  there is help available for you. 
    • Posted

OH dear Porgi, I really feel for you. Unfortunately I can't offer any help that hasn't already been suggested by the others.

I do want to let you know, you definitely should be cared for in a loving way, even if the career is having a bad day.

You are very important!

I am thinking of you and remembering you in my prayers.

I very much hope for things to get better for you1

• Posted

The social worker didn't turn up and the problem is I live in a really isolated place, no family living within seven hours drive and no friends because here everything revolves around family. I have a number I can call if things get really bad but I don't think they'd take the dog and I don't want to leave her

• Posted

Many thanks Margot your prayers are much needed and appreciated.
    • Posted

As I've said to Ricky, the social worker my daughter contacted didn't turn up. Next time I see the GP I will ask him if he thinks it acceptable for him to be like that if his wife is ill. The medical practice is small, his wife another doctor there and one other partner a young woman who is as bad with her preconceptions but there is one other full time woman I've not seen before so I'll ask to see her. Other than that it's locums.

• Posted

This is a dreadful thing to say but I wonder, as you obviously care so much about your dog, whether  there are any animal rescue/help groups near you who would give you more help than the local surgery appear to be doing. If so  do contact them. Folk who get involved with these groups  are often the salt of the earth and care just as much about people as they do animals.
    • Posted

When I had a similar experience with a practice and the one decent independently minded doctor left, I left the practice. It is unusual for doctors from different practices to look after a couple but some will do it quite happily. It was the best thing I ever did - and within a few months OH had ditched them too and come over to us! The first practice had nearly killed him and believed only the person with cancer was the patient, the rest of us were ignored. Not good for a doctor/patient relationship.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.