Really scared omezaprole might be masking cancer

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm new to this group, and just wondered if anyone might have had similar/relevant experiences to my own. I started getting indigestion symptoms a week ago, and didn't think anything of it at first, but after 3 days with no sign of it going away, I started to worry, whether it's a symptom of cancer (stomach or oesophagal). I went to my gp to voice these worries, but was told that "because I'm not 55" (I'm 52) he wasn't able to send me straightaway for a gastroscopy. Instead, I was prescribed omezaprole (20mg) for 28 days. The dr told me that he would refer me "if the indigestion returns after I've finished the medication". I'd never heard of omezaprole and am not sure why I've been prescribed it at this stage, so I looked it up on the internet. I'm now really worried that it could mask the symptoms of a serious illness like cancer and lose me precious time for getting my condition further investigated.

The indigestion symptoms I felt at the start are best described as "constant low level discomfort with occasional burping". I have rarely suffered from indigestion in the past and it has certainly never gone on for days.

Right now, I'm feeling nauseous and not sure whether it's a side effect of the medicine or down to the stress and anxiety I'm feeling. I'm sick with worry and planning to return to the gp on Monday and insist that I'm referred for a gastroscopy straightaway.

I'd be really grateful to hear from anyone with similar experience to my own

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

indigestion symptoms Jane are very very very common and if thats your only symptom don't worry, in fact I wouldn't at this point be asking for any tests. Have you had a  gastroscopy before!!! there not nice and carry risks and can only see the stomach and the first part of your intestines, so theres your bowls etc that are off limits anyway.    omezaprole is very very commonly prescribed and yes it does have side effects and if taken for long periods (over six months) can be a swine to come off of, but thats another story. I haven't read all the replies but it does sound as if you MAY have the start of an ulcer, dont panic I'm afraid you're at that age when our bodies can start playing up a little.  And lets put this in some sort of light, what if everyone who had indigestion symptoms was sent for a gastroscopy!!! Sometime to wait and see what occurs in the next month or 3 is the prudent option.  I know its not what you wanted to hear but maybe it'll settle you a bit. Just monitor the situation. 
    • Posted

You are probably right that coming of omezaprole presents problems. If I stop for mor than two days I get a lot of acid pain. I try usually to take it just every second day.

A doctor I used to have had taken it for eight years. He said that he only stops taking it when he goes to 'Mucky' countries on holiday.

Then he wants to maintain his somach acid  to prevent tummy bugs. During that time he takes Gaviscon. We used to go to mucky countries and I tried it but Gaviscn does not control it for me.

• Posted

Correct Derek, you have to 'wean' yourself off so to speak slowly or you do get acid BAD.  In fact it can be worse than the original symptom you started taking for.  I have to take it for around one year every few years and start to come off by taking 20s instead of 40s and then like you 20s every couple of days and then extend to 3 days and so on.  It takes a good 4 weeks to come off.  Gaviscon is as much use as a chocolate fireguard agreed.  I could drink a bottle and still have acid.  There are other options to Omezaprole but most GP just op for it, must be cheap. lol.
    • Posted

I tried all the other PPI's and they did nothing for me. Now that generic versions are prescribed I sometimes wonder if the Indian and Slovenian versions are the same.

I recently queeried the side effects of a drug with the British company named on the packaging. The reply came from an Indian company. Surely the country of origin should be on the packaging? 

• Posted

Thanks guys for your comments - it always helps to hear the experience of others to put things in perspective. Although I still feel a little nauseous, there don't seem to be any other symtoms ATM so I've decided to stay with the omezaprole until the 28 days is up and monitor the situation.

thanks again and good luck to you all.

• Posted

Keep in touch as your diagnosis may be of help to other in the same boat.

• Posted

Will do Derek - am having a blood test also next week, will let you know the outcome of everything 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.