Really struggling one week after TKR

Posted , 21 users are following.

Morning,

not sure anyone can help but just just need to vent. I had total knee replacement one week ago and I'm really struggling. I am aware that it's early days but I am feeling very low and tearful.  It's so painful. As day goes on, I can just about get on top of pain, however, the mornings and night times are unbearable. I dread going to bed. I can't bend it at all as it's so swollen, I am trying very hard but am stressing myself out as I can't bend and am worried about having a MUA. I can't stop crying and am wishing I never had this done. I am hoping it will be worth it in the end but have been reading stories about how people are in worst pain after.

I am not expecting anyone to have magic answer but needed to vent as my family have been so so supportive and I am trying to paint on brave face in front of them.

I have physio on Tuesday but might ring to see if they can fit me in tomorrow 

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I feel for you and it sounds like your doing  as well as expected. You're main goals early on are to ice with elevation, take it easy and stress less! Try to stay on top of the pain meds as that is exactly what their for.  It gets  much better  as the weeks go by and if you feel  like crying, let it all out!! You will see it was worth it in the long run.  Hang in there! 😊👍

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply. When pain is under control, I am able to reflect that this was only option. I’m only 41 and have had so much trouble with knee. The pain and lack of sleep doesn’t help. 

Thank you for advice. I do think I am stressing too much. My mother had this operation but left hospital with 90 degree bend. My operation was more complex due to previous surgeries. 

Am finding this forum so supportive 😊

• Edited

hi

i am in exactly the same position. had TKR a week ago. no real knee bend due to swelling and tight muscles. ive found that as soon as i take medication and its kicked in that that is the best time to do my exercises and then rest. like you pain is worse thing at night and morning... i bought a long maternity style pillow to lay next to operated leg at night to stop it twisting, and sit in a shower first thing in the morning to help..

like you i burst into tears when pain hits, so you are not alone. keep your chin up

• Posted

Hi Victoria,

At this stage it is horrendous. But it does get better.

It can take up to a year to make a full recovery, but after that everything is certainly much better than before the operation.

Keep your head up. Keep using ice packs and keep your leg raised as much as possible. Which painkillers are you on?

• Posted

Hi Ben, thank you for your reply. When the pain is under control, I am able to focus that it’s early days etc. I’m on paracetamol, ibuprofen and codine, although I keep codine for night times. I’m am constantly icing. I currently have large ice pack on and have rolled up towels under knee and think there maybe small bend. 

Everyone said it would be painful but don’t think you can prepare. I’m only 41 and have had pain for so long that I know this was only option. My mother had the same operation but left hospital with 90 degree bend. 

This forum is so helpful. 

Thank you 

• Posted

I dont think you are meant to put rolled up towels under knee...please consult with a professional, as I am not one. But I am sure I read that somewhere. Because not good for that area to be compressed due to risk of DVT. Please check it out.
    • Posted

Oh ok, thank you. I know they said use a small one under knee to get the straight leg raise. I was only doing it for short periods but will stop until I speak to someone tomorrow. I am also sitting on edge of sofa and using a carrier bag under foot to try and bring it back a bit. 

Thank you for advice. 

• Posted

I was told by the hospital not to put a towel under my knee
  • Posted

Good morning, I went through the same thing as you, I promise it gets better, you will have good days and bad days. It will be worth it in the end. This forum has been great support

I wish you the very best of luck

• Posted

Hi Deb, thank you so much for your reply and kind words. I agree that the forum is great. It’s kept me focused at 1am when I can’t sleep. 

How long ago was your operation? Did you have trouble bending too. They the bit that’s really worrying me. My mother had same operation last year and left hospital with 90 degree bend. 

I’m currently icing with towels under knee and think there maybe a very small bend! 

Thank you 

• Posted

Hi I’ve just joined this forum - I’m mark in Coventry .

i am 52 and having tkr next month but reading this forum will hopefully help me prepare for what’s in store - I’m nervous about it as have never spent a night in hospital before and I’m hoping to have the spinal anaesthetic .

i hope you feel better soon Victoria - I’m expecting a painful Xmas as op is on dec 14 

• Posted

Hi Mark, 

Thank you for reply and welcome to forum. 

The hospital stay was good as they helped to manage the pain and Physio’s were at bedside within hours. I had spinal block and have also had GA. The spinal block option much better for recovery. 

Thank you for kind words and good luck with operation. Will look out for update. I am hoping that I will have more positive news by then.  I’m seeing consultant on 20th December for review. 

• Posted

Hi mark if you're having a spinal ask for a catheter, I wet myself twice because I had no feeling down there and ended up in retention so had to have one anyway.  I have to say I can't remember much about the operation I think the anaesthetist got carried away with the sedative drugs good luck X 

• Posted

Hi , thanks although the thought of a catheter doesn’t sound pleasant , I’m going for the pre-op on the 29th nov so should know a bit more then 
    • Posted

I am 56, I had my operation on the Tuesday I was home on the Friday.

You will possible sleep quite a bit because of the pain killers. Remember to stay on top of the pain killers, other wise to takes longer for them to work. Do your exersice. Elevate and use ice pack. You will get out of helping with the cooking of the Christmas dinner this year..... and if you lucky the shopping

• Posted

Hi I'm having my second one on 13th dec this forum is amazing it Will support you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.