Really struggling one week after TKR

Posted , 21 users are following.

Morning,

not sure anyone can help but just just need to vent. I had total knee replacement one week ago and I'm really struggling. I am aware that it's early days but I am feeling very low and tearful.  It's so painful. As day goes on, I can just about get on top of pain, however, the mornings and night times are unbearable. I dread going to bed. I can't bend it at all as it's so swollen, I am trying very hard but am stressing myself out as I can't bend and am worried about having a MUA. I can't stop crying and am wishing I never had this done. I am hoping it will be worth it in the end but have been reading stories about how people are in worst pain after.

I am not expecting anyone to have magic answer but needed to vent as my family have been so so supportive and I am trying to paint on brave face in front of them.

I have physio on Tuesday but might ring to see if they can fit me in tomorrow 

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I'm 7 weeks post op now the first week isn't pleasant. I'm 47 and after sharing my experience with other people of a similar age it seems that the younger ones have more problems with flexion. I didn't achieve 90 degrees until 4 weeks and that was after increasing pain meds, hiring a cpm machine and getting some physio. There is a part of me that wishes I'd left it alone but I have to remember what the arthritic pain was like and I'm hoping the flexion will improve. I went to a health club yesterday and sat in the jacuzzi for about 30 minutes and it helped the flexion so I think it's the muscles that are tight that causing the restriction. You'll have to wait until your wound is completely healed before you dive into warm water. Keep your chin up we are all here for you going through the same experience. You are not alone X 

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your message and words of support. I was told in hospital that younger patients struggle more with the bend and also the pain. 

It’s reassuring to hear that I’m not the only one who struggled with the bend. I had a great range of movement prior to operation but was in awful pain which prevented day to day activities such as walking and working. From everything I can read, it’s a long (painful) journey and we are clearly at the beginning. When in this much pain, it’s hard to reflect on how bad the arthritic pain was. 

The hospital mentioned hiring the CPM machine but I was not with it at the time. I will call them tomorrow. 

I am a member of a health club and the jacuzzi sounds a great idea but understand I am a few weeks away from that. 

Thanks again for supportive words. I’m so glad I came across this forum x

• Posted

hi snoozy - I have a plug in mini exercise bike which I use 90 minutes a day while watching tv and just put feet in pedals and switch on , do you think this will help after the op or will it be too much for the knee - I sit on the sofa with it on and it has various speed settings 
    • Posted

That sounds perfect for the knee start slowly though x
    • Posted

Thanks , I will put it on the slowest setting and see how it goes , in hoping 90 mins a day now at least gets it active and ready for the operation and I often forget it’s on as I watch tv , a good buy for £70 

• Posted

Hi Victoria!

Take heart! We are here for you!??

The first weeks are a rollercoaster ride, but you will begin to see progress which helps lighten the load.

Try to remember that you have undergone trauma to your whole system. Your body is working overtime to right itself again. It WILL achieve balance again, but there's LOTS for it to do!

I don't know whether you are a believer, but if you are it REALLY helps to pray. We as humans are fragile at these times, but God is NEVER fragile! He can and will provide great strength and calm and patience and give you what you need in every moment!

Sending prayers of comfort to you today!??

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I suppose I’m just feeling sorry for myself at moment 😊

• Posted

We have ALL been there, FOR SURE! Keeping focused on healing and looking for tiny bits of progress will help you feel that the challenge has been worth it!

Try cat videos on the Internet!🐈😺🐾🐾🐈😸 They are so funny! They offer a GREAT distraction and can get you laughing which causes endorphins to form in your body. The endorphins help not only with mood, but they help lessen pain, too!

Come back here often for support and maybe even some new things to try!

We are all here for you!??

• Posted

Hi Victoria,

It has been 12 weeks since my TKR and everything you mentioned has been experienced by almost everyone in this forum.  This surgery and recovery is no cake walk and had it not been for this forum I might of had to call my doctor everyday!  It does no good to worry (easier said than done), but it is so important to keep a positive attitude.  There is a light at the end of that tunnel, for some it may be a longer journey to reach that light, but it will happen.  There are many days better than others, but the good days will prevail!  

Pay attention to the veterans on this forum ( Chico Marx/Old Fat Guy), not just their advise, but their constant sense of humor because we need to laugh.  Reading others' posts make you realize how tough others have it and believe it or not, allow you to count your blessings.  Hang it there Victoria and know that we all feel your pain...keep us updated.

Many blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Hi sorry this is probably a bit late only just seen this though one week is early days your right but also it's an emotional time too your body especially your leg has been put through a lot of stress I'm sure everyone else has already told you this but alleviate your leg often with ice packs and pain Meds I'm 17 days post op now and been ice packing and alleviating my leg every single day yes it will bring out the bruising which will be painful but also it will reduce the swelling which I found was the worst part of healing once your swelling goes down you will find it easier to move good luck

• Posted

Hi SharonBeth, thank you fir taking the time to reply and your kind words. I am icing and elevating as much as I can. The bruising is reeling coming out. I think it will be easier once the swelling goes down. Did you also have trouble bending after operation? 

Thank you 😊

• Posted

Hi victoria yes I had a rough time after surgery couldn't bend my leg at all it actually felt really heavy too almost like it was stuck in a cement block or something I had to use two hands just to lift my leg onto the sofa or onto the bed first week or so is usually pretty rough but once that swelling has gone down a little it will slowly get a little more comfortable with movements I have a body pillow to help keep my leg comfortable especially at night that's the worst time for me but is slowly getting better good luck even though it might not seem it you are strong because you have come a long way since your surgery just remember baby steps don't try running before you learn to walk

• Posted

Hi SharonBeth, thank you, it’s helpful to hear other people’s journies. That’s how mine feels, it feels like a dead weight I am carrying around. 

Night times also worst for me. I will look into the body pillow. 

Thank you, when you are in it, you don’t see the sometimes very small steps you might be taking. I just keep thinking that each week must get easier. 

• Posted

It just all takes time the healing process and the strength that you have to rebuild up will all take time I'm afraid but it will be worth it in the long run this has been my first big operation never had to go through any of this before but now I just know that I must be strong to deal with this kind of pain and to be cooking and doing certain chores as soon as day 2 of being out of hospital shows that nothing is stopping me that and the fact I have a 6 year old I'm 42 so have no choice but to do what I can because my boyfriend is now back at work and things don't just stop because of a knee surgery I know that we all cope with pain in our own way it's just learning your own body and what you can cope with as well as handle just try and do the exercises that your physiotherapist has given you and keep icing elevating and taking your pain Meds I know it's hard to do the exercises when your so swollen heavy and stiff but just do what you can it shall get better when the swelling goes down more

• Posted

Hi SharonBeth, you are very young to have this operation too. I’m 41. Luckily my children are older but still need me in their own way. 

Wow, you are clearly very strong to be able to go back to doing the chores etc. I am doing what I can. I think you are right that things will get easier when swelling goes down. 

I hope you are managing to get some rest too. 

• Posted

Rest is very important and I'm getting plenty of it but also needing to do what I can chores wise what is it they say a moms job is never done lot of truth in that hope you get that swelling down soon and start having a little more relief

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.