Really struggling one week after TKR

Posted , 21 users are following.

Morning,

not sure anyone can help but just just need to vent. I had total knee replacement one week ago and I'm really struggling. I am aware that it's early days but I am feeling very low and tearful.  It's so painful. As day goes on, I can just about get on top of pain, however, the mornings and night times are unbearable. I dread going to bed. I can't bend it at all as it's so swollen, I am trying very hard but am stressing myself out as I can't bend and am worried about having a MUA. I can't stop crying and am wishing I never had this done. I am hoping it will be worth it in the end but have been reading stories about how people are in worst pain after.

I am not expecting anyone to have magic answer but needed to vent as my family have been so so supportive and I am trying to paint on brave face in front of them.

I have physio on Tuesday but might ring to see if they can fit me in tomorrow 

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Victoria

As others have said first weeks are horrible, do not worry about crying as its a good release, most do the same.

for most 6 to 12 weeks is the course, not that anyone tells you this upfront. Some are even unluckier and it goes past 12 weeks. On the other side really lucky ones are only 3 to 6 weeks.

However we are all different so somehow as other have said you need to find something that takes your mind off the pain and discomfort.

Sleep when you can as nights can be the most frustrating time especially if you are used to getting a full nights sleep, prior to your operation.

I would recommended the Aircast ice bucket and knee wrap, as it makes changing the iced water in the knee wrap so much easier after it starts to become an oven at night without getting out of bed.

Good luck and Good healing

This is a great forum!

• Posted

One week.... don't be anxious about the extent of your bend....

It is alarming but you just do what you can.

How swollen is it?

A lot, I bet.

Try and get the swelling down as much as you can, elevate and ice.

When you see physio they will reassure you i am sure.

• Posted

Hi Jenny, thank you for message. It’s very swollen. I was only worried as the Physio originally said I shouldn’t go home until I had a 90 degree bend. 

I am constantly elevating and icing. Ice gives so much relief. 

• Posted

Mine was less than 90 when I went home from hospital.

Some have come home from hospital with 70 degree bends...I think as long as they feel you are going in right direction they let people out earlier.

Your physio will no doubt really help you!

• Posted

Thank you. I did 60 degrees on CPM before I left but struggle to do anything manually. I have had numerous surgeries prior it this so always knew my journey to recovery would be difficult. 
  • Posted

I was at 60 degrees at 3 weeks when I first saw the physio thank goodness it's improved  since then. I just need it to continuously improve other wise I'll be going for a MUA 😱

• Posted

I wish i could give you a big hug.  I know how you feel.  I’m 7 wks from tkr and I’m 70. After day 3 from surgery when that great stuff they inject into your knee during surgery wears off and the pain sets in it gets really tough.  I dont think any of us are prepared for how long it takes to totally recover from this surgery. I know i was not prepared for the magnitude of this surgery and how it would effect the rest of my body and mind.  

I’ve only had 1 full nights sleep since my surgery. I get leg cramps and spasms and have to get up and walk around at night. Sometimes i have to sleep in a recliner. When in bed i sleep with 2 body pillows and a a heating pad.  My doctor doesn’t believe in using ice but only heat and I’m at a 120 bend now.  

Everyone is different.  I find this site so encouraging.  It’s so great to read these posts and find out that others experience what you do.  You dont feel so alone.  Chico Marx is a wealth of information so be sure and read his posts.  

God bless you and when you feel like crying sweetie, just cry.  We all cry.  I cry during PT sometimes and believe me the Psyio’s are used to it.  It goes along with the recovery.  

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I agree with not understanding how hard surgery would be on body. I anticipated it being hard but not this hard. Sounds like you are making progress. 

I also agree that this group is very supportive. 

I had another good cry last night. Hopefully things will ease up a little soon. 

• Posted

Hi Victoria

I had my tkr March 15. My advice is ice, elevation and pain relief. It is important to keep on top of the pain. I juggled pain meds, codeine and tramadol for several months, especially at night. The first few weeks are the worst, and it will get better. With regards to bending, I had real problems and eventually had to have physio. This may sound stupid but I bought a children's skateboard on the Internet and used this whilst sitting on a chair to move my knee backwards and forwards, the best £5 I ever spent. I also bought a small foot cycle and just pushed against the pedals every day until I eventually was able to complete the cycling action. You have gone through a major operation, being younger doesn't make it easier, my surgeon told me that being younger means the density of the bones is higher which increases the level of pain during the healing process. Just take it one day at a time and sleep as much as you need. Your sleep patterns will be all over the place for some time. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Carole, thank you very much for your kind words and advice. I love the skateboard idea! 

I think the lack of sleep is really affecting me. I am going to speak to GPsoon regarding the medication. Thanks again for support. Glad I found this forum. 

• Posted

The first few weeks are pure hell...period...accept it.  You have only three things to do: 1. Manage your pain with your meds.  If something's not working, talk to your doc about the meds.  There are plenty of options.  You should expect pain but it should NOT be unbearable.  2. Start your ROM work early at home before PT.  No, you may not get far but it is a start.  Get the thought of an MUA out of your head...you are a looooong way from having to deal with that decision.  3. Everything you're saying and thinking is COMPLETELY NORMAL!!!  We've all been there.  The good thing is that you will start feeling a lot better pretty soon.  So here's some light reading...

Depression (PS: It's fake...)

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-post-operative-depression-604195

ROM Work at Home (Necessary...)

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

For your head (get your mind off the pain and onto something else)...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-ptsd-569521

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-power-of-rest-some-great-strategies-to-try-on-a-tkr-617892

Sleep (Try some of these tips)...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

Finally, just remember...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-strong-594566

Give up all your expectations and timetables...this takes a year...period...  Stay strong, do the work, give it time, embrace patience.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your advice. I contacted hospital today as I had been managing on ibuprofen and paracetamol as they only gave me a small amount of codine. They have given me more codine and said I have to take every 4 hours. I saw physio who was great. She said I need to relax.  I have had around 13 previous surgeries so am carrying lots of hang ups from previous surgeries. 

Thank you for all the info. I will read through it all. 

• Posted

I've had 29 surgeries in the past 18 years.  I fall asleep in pre-op...my heart rate is 56.  I'm so used to it, the nurses wonder if someone already gave me anesthesia!!!  I actually bring music from my daughter and my bands into the OR for them to play while they work...they LOVE it!

Codeine seems to be the drug of choice in the UK.  In the US, it's hydrocodone (Vicodin, Norco) or oxycodone (Percocet).  They are a bit stronger than Co-codomal...you may want to talk to your doc about using them short term.

By all means, relax.  I know that's tough given the pain.  I had an automatic icing machine on my knee virtually 24 x 7 for the first months.  Helped a lot.  There's also Voltaren Gel (RX in the US), a great topical anti-inflammatory.  Just don't put it on the incision until it's healed.

It does get better...promise...

• Posted

What she said really. Ice, elevate, MEDICATE! Moving is important but it's ok to take it easy, that's one of the reasons why your on blood thinners.  Do what helps you to pass time. I read, listened to music, research watching utube documentaries, etc. And yelled occasionally, cry, prayed.  And  cookies 😀

• Posted

Hi Victoria.i know exactly how u feel.i am post op 20 days.i came on this forum about a week ago as I was feeling so awful.i was so sick from the meds that I couldn't eat.had constant nausea.meds didn't work and I was exhausted from lack of sleep.had bad reaction to new med and nearly ended up in hospital.on top of this I had to put my 10 year old dog to sleep.all in all a terrible time.

the people who commented on here really helped.it was nice to know that everything I was going through was normal..one week later I am much better.im am eating a bit better.a lot of the bruising whilst still there is starting to come out.i was getting really bad tingling and stabbing pains around my scar as well.last night I realised they seemed to be easing off.i actually slept 6 hours which I havnt done in months.dont fret about bending your knee yet.concentrate on elevation and lots of ice.try to stretch out your knee and get your leg straight.i started using bio oil at the weekend a few days after getting the staples out(was dreading it but not too bad)and am trying to massage my knee to help keep it supple.can move around the house without crutches and been out twice on them.get plenty of rest.dont try to do too much.sorry for long post

• Posted

Hi Barbara, 

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I’m sorry that you have had such a tough time and sadly lost your loved pet. 

Great that you have managed a good nights sleep. 

I agree that this forum is very supportive. 

I’m trying not to be too hard on myself but physio thinks that the lack of bend is psychological.  

I’m constantly icing and elevating. I can get leg straight easily but still can’t lift it. The physio says not to worry about the lift. 

I am hoping I will turn the corner soon. I think the pain and lack of sleep is really affecting me. I’m like you and find the pain meds’ don’t always work. I have no appetite either. Family are ensuring that I do eat something. 

Thank you again for the support. 

• Posted

Get someone to buy u an adult colouring book and good markers.u can really lose yourself in it for an hour.
    • Posted

I was the same.i was in so much pain with it and then everyone going on about bending my knee.on top of no sleep was so hard.ive been trying to not sleep too long during the day this week(3)so that hopefully I can sleep better at night.trying to massage my knee more as well.week one u think you'll never touch it

• Posted

Hi Barbara, thank you for message. How much could you bend in first couple of weeks. 

I’m just feeling overwhelmed. Been in tears most of today as my head will not allow knee to bend. Trying to be strong. I didn’t want to sleep today as like you thought it would help with the night but ended up sleeping for nearly two hours. 

Am really waiting to turn the corner so to speak. 

• Posted

Hi Victoria, I’m at eight weeks from TKR and I have experienced all the things your experiencing as well... the not sleeping, loss of appetite, the crying, the negative feelings, the frustration,.   Unfortunately these all come with after surgery.

Try purchasing the new Ensure which is packed was 17 g of protein and only 130 cal to supplement your diet. It’s important to get lots of protein in your diet and if you’re not eating well this will help supplement.  

Also, sleep when you can. If your body needs to nap then do it..it’s OK.  

This is a long recovery road and we are all on it together. We have to encourage each other ❤️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.