Reason meds take so long and why you feel rubbish

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hi everyone, here’s something I found online which you may find intersting.  Its about why you feel so rubbish when taking these meds, why your mood is up and down, why it takes so long and the process it all goes through.

Sorry its a long post.

When starting an SSRI or increasing it's dose often makes people feel really rubbish, which can cause a great deal of stress as you begin to wonder whats happening, why is their illness getting worse, are these meds working etc.

Somone recently posted a great post explaining what these meds do in our brains, and I’d like to add further to this.  So, as already posted ….. the brain is basically a big dense bundle of nerves which carry electrical signals around our brain and body.  The nerve cells don’t touch each other, leaving a small gap between each cell, called a synapse.  So how do signals get from one nerve to another?

Neurotransmitters are chemicals released by nerve cells that tell a neighbouring nerve cell to pass the signal along.  A bit like pass the parcel.  Serotonin is one such neurotransmitter.   So when an electrical signal reaches the end of a nerve cell that deals with serotonin, that cell releases serotonin into the gap (synapse), which then crosses the gap and interacts with the nearby nerve cell and tells it to pass the signal along.

Once the serotonin has done it's job, the serotonin is then reabsorbed from the gap so that no more signals are passed until the next one comes down the nerve.  SSRIs, (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) interfere with this reabsorbtion process and thus it stays in the gap longer, which equates to more serotonin and more signals.

So furthering on from there ….. why do you feel so rubbish?

So, along with the releasing of serotonin, and reabsorbing it, nerve cells also have parts that detect an increase in serotonin level and tell the nerve cell to stop producing anymore serotonin until the level drops.  These are called autoreceptors, which are the reason you feel like so rubbish.

So the SSRI will increase the amount of serotonin that’s gathered in the synapses between nerve cells, but unfortunately the autoreceptors of the nerve cell pick up on this increase and tell the nerve cell to stop producing serotonin.  The result of this is that when you first start taking an SSRI your serotonin levels drop.

How do they go up again?

Eventually with continuous use of the SSRI medication, the autoreceptors become desensitised, that is to say they've continually told the nerve cell to stop producing serotonin but yet serotonin is still there.  In short they simply give up.  They stop telling the nerve cell to stop producing serotonin and your serotonin levels start to increase.

This desensitisation takes time, it doesn't happen over night and it won't even begin to happen until the SSRI levels have stabilised.  This is why you feel so rubbish, and is why your mood drops and your anxiety increases (also fuelledd by the fear of not knowing whats going on).  Your mood will be up and down as the seronotin continues to try to stablise.

So, to summarise:

SSRIs cause your serotonin levels to drop when you first start taking them.  Your serotonin levels will not rise until the autoreceptors in your brain have stopped working (become desensitised), all of which takes lots and lots of time.  Everyone is different, so for some it can be many weeks and other months.

I hope this helps some people to understand what these meds are doing and why you don't get instant results, compared to other meds that work in different ways which is the reason they can have a more immediate effects (benzos for example).

K x 

16 likes, 145 replies

145 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Could you repost this under success on citalopram Kate? That's my thread as I am so much better and trying to help others like you have....and that's an excellent description for all those who are struggling to get there. Your right there was another excellent post too but yours puts them all together 👏👏

• Posted

You mean my long post on Reasons Why You Feel Rubbish?  Yes of course I will.  I copy it over.

K xx

• Posted

Yes. It's funny when your back in the loop on this you become quiet an expert in its mgt. especially second time round. But whilst your still climbing out of the hole you aren't! I am medical too but when it's yourself...😉

• Posted

Yes exactly.  When you're up out of the hole you can see this illness for what it is, but when it hits you again, you fall back into the hole and lose sight of everything you know.  It all goes out the window. 

• Posted

Hi Kate

Do you know if your brand of Citalopram changes can that affect you as I've had a cold and thought it was that but I started on a different brand on Friday and for about 4 days have felt a bit anxious and didn't want to go out as much but getting better again now thanks x

• Posted

Me too!!!  Change of brand on Monday and feeling really crap today.  Been great for at least 4 weeks. Very odd! X
    • Posted

Interesting you say that, because I've read many post about this.  I looked into it last year sometime as was curious, and read that though different brands have the same active ingredient, sometimes the inactive ingredient (the outer shell) can differ, and that maybe some people react to that.

I never had a problem myself, but then again I don't remember ever having a different brand.

It could also be that you're having a blip - the body is very sensitive, so maybe its reacting due to the cold?

But yes - interesting that others have also reported a change of brand affects them.

• Posted

Hi Kate.  This is the other Debbie!!!

Just an update really on what Debbie18265 has said.  Ive just been given a different brand, Accord, and started taking it Monday.  Yesterday I suddenly went very hot and panicky for no apparent reason!  Since then have felt shaky, waking up, cant sit still, no appetite.  Ive been great for a few weeks now so cant figure this out.  Went to the Pharmacy who cannot get the same prescription.  Went to another pharmacy who did kind of agree that the fillers and coatings can be different in each brand and can cause a reaction in sensitive people!!!  He is going to try and get the same brand for me but as Im now 4 days in, I'm thinking that I may as well carry on with this brand.  So confusing!!!  Wish I knew the answer to some of this as I guess the manufacturers will just deny there is any difference.  Trouble is, if I carry on on this one and then go to get another prescription and it changes again....!!!

I have a telephone call with my doctor later.  Im going to ask if she can keep me to one brand and then see what happens I guess.

• Posted

I am medical as well as a citalopram success😉😀

in my work it was policy to acquire the same brand of meds each time, for this very reason. So I think there is something in that. But you can't always achieve it. My husband takes a beta blocker that gives him awful leg cramps. He too drove round 6 chemists to get the good ones. No luck !

😔🙁Re insomnia yes mine was dreadful first few weeks   It got better tho. I changed from 11pm tabs to morning which either helped or I had passed the insomnia stage. I know put lavender spray on my pillow and if I wake in the night inhale the smell and breathe back to sleep. I also use the herbal Rescue spray at bed time to help ensure a good nights rest. If I have a blip I don't fret about it. Just relax and go with it

you will be dancing on tables at the end of this journey 😀

• Posted

Hi Gillian

I love you guys, the veterans I call you!!!

i think you're right, there is something in that.  However, my doctor has just phoned and said that because the active ingredients are the same, it wont make any difference.  Im not convinced!!! He wants me to carry on on the new prescription and see how I go.  I guess as i'm now 4 days in, I may as well carry on.  If I get back to normal again on these, I will insist on staying on them.  

Is a beta blocker like Diazepam?  I have those for emergency moments but havent had to take them for a while now.  Its very odd how different brands can cause issues but my doctors do not appear to accept it.  They talk to me like im an idiot!

I take mine in the mornings too and have been sleeping great until last night.  Im feeling a bit more normal now but very tired.  x

• Posted

No diazepam is used to give a calming effect for anxiety issues and I don't think it should be used long term personally. So well done.

my gp gave me propranolol which is a beta blocker and I took it for 7 mornings at the 6 week phase with my morning tablet to get over the initial hump

i also took one when I was obviously having a panic attack heart racing feeling rough and within ten mins it calmed me down. It's an as and when ..PRN ....drug for me. I haven't needed to take them since. But I carry them in my purse! 

Am amazedwhat Gp and Chemists tell you to be honest. The brands can be diffearnt despite the same ingredients . Some of them are still saying you can just come off it...just like that..Errr no!

i had a conversation with another Citalopram user friend about the perils of forgetting to take a tablet. She had forgotten 2 during chemo sessions and became almost suicidal and up the wall

we know carry two in our purses....you never know where u may get stranded 😂 OTT I know but..

and every month I swop the 2 around so they don't get out of date 

it's a medical thing 😉

Yes you may as well carry on I agree

hopefully your body will build in an adjustment level 

• Posted

I hope I do t have to use them to be honest but although I feel very anxious, I do t feel that bad that I need to take one, like last time when I increased.

good idea carrying them around, I'm pretty sure I've never forgotten to take one but I do sometimes get half way through the day and think have I taken it??!!

ive been on cit before, years ago for post natal depression. It worked the. Immediately and I only had dizziness for about 3 weeks when I stopped it.  This time is a whole different ball game and I if I do come off them, it will be super slow just in case!!

Yes I hope so, after feeling so good, it's been a bit of a let down! X

• Posted

Are these the same type of doctors that tell their patients that they'll be better in a few weeks, that they won't get any side effects, oh, and just stop them when you want too lol biggrin

The different brand do affect people - the proof is out there.  So there's something that's happening, and if its not the active ingredient then the inactive ingredient must be upsetting some people.

K

• Posted

Hi Miss Kate. I think it takes too much time and money so the Doctors are sticking with the old book. Lol
    • Posted

Yes, that's the ones!! The ones that can't be bothered with you! 

Woken up this morning shaking all over again. Feel sick etc, can't sit still, you name it!  I go on holiday in a week and if I feel like this, I can't see me getting on that plane.

i guess I've just got to try and ride it out again. I'm going to try the doctors again this morning anyway to insist on my old brand back but if the pharmacies can't get it, Ive had it anyway! What a rollercoaster ride! X

• Posted

Well gd luck with that ! The GP has no control to be fair.  It's what the chemist  gets from the manufacturer     . My husband went down same route. It didn't work   You may be increasing your anxiety unnecessarily there   I am trying to look back and see how long u have been on it 

did u say u were given the Valium ? Sorry Diazepam. Is same thing.  U may find one of those helps. Even at this moment. If you can take one sit and be calm. But it  Sounds like a bit of a panic attack. Your pulse may be racing as well. That's what I took the propranolol for. It worked! As I reflect back I have had these panic attacks before and although I should know better ...had not identified them as such. I haven't had any more since the citalopram has kicked in at 6 weeks and I have to say I feel better every day...

it may not actually be the tablet but a panic attack. If your seeing your go maybe discuss sorting that issue ?

it will get better

i am trying to help people on this site as it gave so much comfort and reassurance to me

wink
    • Posted

I put it on my bedside table the nite before and anytime after 8 am I take it and go back to sleep.in theory! 

Yes its weird how it varies in "cure". It only took 2 weeks 3 years ago to feel better. I was going on holiday 2 weeks into cit in January and friends were joining us. I thought oh I will be dancing 💃 on tables but I wasn't. It took all my acting skills to try and maintain normality for those around me which became an anxiety in itself   . I had to tell peopl around me the problem so they could be kind no gentle with me.

I think I had fallen too far and deep. I should have addressed it earlier maybe. But we all struggle to be " normal" and not need anything don't we 

you can't always 

• Posted

I took mine at 5 this morning, then felt sick!!  

My theory on why it didnt work so well this time is that before it was for depression but this time its for anxiety and I think, but obviously dont know, that maybe anxiety is a very strong emotion if you like.  Im no doctor obviously but I cant think of anything else!!!  

I was really looking forward to my holiday and now I dont want to go.  I keep telling myself that if I panic on the plane, I wont see anybody again so who cares, but its not always that simple!!

I spoke another doctor this morning who did kind of agree that it could be the change of brand as it makes sense.  But she wants me to carry on now on this one to see what happens as its now in my system.  I can see what shes saying.  However, the other pharmacy has managed to gt hold of my usual brand of cit but I cant get it without the prescription!!  So now im going backwards and forwards in my head, one minute I say stick to the one ive now got and next its phone the docs again and insist you want the other one back!!!  Oh what fun!! x

• Posted

Mmmm you're probably right ..... sadly that old book then plays havoc with people's lives.  Think the system needs to change for this field. cry

• Posted

Yep - those are the same ones that think anxiety is just a little nuisance, not the huge, freakin scary monstrous thing it actually feels, the same ones that don't realise that the wrong word uttered from them can send you into a spiraling panic .........  There are some good, caring doctors out there too of course, so when you find one, hang onto them like there's no tomorrow wink

Are you nervous about going on holiday anyway?  It could be anticipatory anxiety you're getting about it ..... though of course it doesn't help having a different brand of meds if you're sensitive to them.

Yes riding out the storm is actualy the way through.  You can always try a different pharmacy - ring round and see if they stock the older brand.

Yep a horrible rollercoaster ...... one you want to step off of.  Now. eek

K x

• Posted

Ha ha, yes, they do not have a clue and they wont unless they get it too!

I think i'm yet to find that doctor.  There was one at our Surgery who was absolutely brilliant but she retired and since then I havent really found a decent one who listens and is understanding.  They just want you out of that door as quick as possible!

I wasnt nervous about the holiday. In fact, when I felt better, I couldnt wait to go, got everything planned out for the two weeks.  Now I think I may have to resort to diazepam to get me on that flight as I cant let my family down.

Another pharmacy has found my brand and it was in his hand this morning, looking at me!!!  so near and yet so far...I need a damn prescription and as the doc this morning has asked me to try and carry on and see if this brand settles, I feel a bit of a nuisance phoning yet again and saying I want the prescription!!!  I dont want to be labelled a pain in the butt really!  I can hear them sighing from here!!!

One things for sure, I wont be going on any rollercoasters in America, I have my own ready made one! x

• Posted

Nope - nobody will ever understand what it feels like unless they've had it.  A friend once told me (when I was having a melt down) 'there, there, never mind, what you need is a nice little holiday and you'll come back all refreshed'.  I wanted to slap her.

Sometimes people will also say - oh I had that too, I just got out with friends, had a good laugh and I felt better after a day or so.  rolleyes  Yep .... now why didn't I think of doing that.

Lastly, another friend said 'oh I'd never take pills for that, I'd just get on with it.  It'll soon pass'.  .......... note, scrub 'friend' off my Christmas card list .....

I had a brilliant doctor when I was first ill, and he always had loads of time for me.  Years later he retired (I panicked) and once I was visiting the new doctor, he leaned back and said .... isn't it about time you came off these meds?  I said 'do you know me, have you read my notes' ........ 

Doctors should be retrained in this - its on the increase, mainly due to our ever increasing stressful world.  The more people I've talked to, the more I realise people close to me have had it.

I'd be inclined to phone the surgery and ask for the prescription.  You want to feel comfortable for your holiday and you can deal with different brands another time.  Let them sigh all they like wink  It's your body xx

Ooooh where in American are you off to?  Yep no rollercoasters biggrin

• Posted

Gah!!  Forgot to say - check the PL number on the side of your prescription box against the one on the original medicine box.  If they say exactly the same number then they have exactly the same ingredients.

I saw that on a TV programme some months ago when they were comparing big brand medicines to generic brands.  People prefer to buy 'named' cold remedies etc, thinking them better .... yet the own shop brands are exactly the same.  They showed you what to look for .... the PL (Product Licence) number.

K x

• Posted

Ha ha, everything youve just said above is so right!  There is nothing more infuriating to be told, oh you'll get over it, dont worry about it!!  I wish it were that simple!!

Anyway, Ive now managed to get hold of the other brand and at the same time a different person served me in the Pharmacy.  She asked about why I needed that particular make so I told her the story.  She nodded and said yes she has heard of that happening.  She said the active ingredients are exactly the same, as we know, but the coatings and fillers do differ with every manufacturer.  She said the main issue appears to be the salt content... I have no idea why that would cause problems and to be honest, I cant be bothered to even go there as I will probably be none the wiser!!

Im off to Florida for two weeks.  I will get on that plane even if I have to be pushed!  

xx

• Posted

Oh, Ive just seen this as well!  Mine are both generic brands, one is Accord and the other is Medreich.  This is really going to sound odd though... When I was increased, I was given 10mg of Accord and 20mg of Medreich.  I didnt question the different names, just took them as I was very panicky and anxious anyway.  After 3 weeks, I got better and better until I was fine for about 4 weeks.  It was this week that I got the new prescription and started taking it Monday and this time its still 10mg Accord but 20mg Accord.  So the same brand obviously.  So to me, the 10 Accord and 20 Medreich worked.  Then i started all Accord and thats when it all went wrong.  There was nothing bothering me, I was happy as a pig in poop and all of the sudden I started getting all panicky.  This is the only thing I can think of, maybe the extra 20 of Accord is just too much, I just dont know!!!  I could send myself mental just trying to figure it out to be honest.  So tomorrow morning I am going to switch back to 10 Accord and 20 Medreich.  i dont expect to feel better straight away as the other brand is obviously in my system now.  But it will be interesting to see how it goes.  

I will check both packs when I get home for the PL number and see what it says.  This will be interesting too.

I know what you mean about cold remedies and paracetamol too.  I always use the cheap paracetamol but have gone for more expensive stuff when that doesnt appear to work.  However, that never worked either!!! x

• Posted

Ok, checked the PL numbers and they are different! The Accord ones are the same on all packs except for 10mg has a 2 on the end and the 20mg has a 3 on the end, I guess because of the different strength.  The Medreich one is a completely different number x
    • Posted

Hi Gillian

ive only just seen this post, replied to the one below!

The doc ended up giving me the prescription with the brand written on it. 

So I now have it but feel better this afternoon so I'm in two minds right now!!!  I will decide when I wake in the morning as that's my worst time, I'm a complete angsty mess again in the mornings.

i haven't taken the diazepam, I was close but pushed through it somehow. I've actually been on cit since the end of November. It's not all been awful and certainly not as bad as when I went on it. That was horrendous. I was having full on panic attacks that just didn't end all day. 

Yes I've had a couple of panic attacks before but they've come on and then gone away very quickly and like you, I've just dismissed them as nothing to worry about I suppose.  This is very different, it's panic with that horrible angsty stomach and shaky body.  Lovely! I've just replied to katecogs below about whether it's just me or whether it is the citalopram brand change. I do want to try and stick to the same one fro now on though because I will probably work myself up if I get s different brand!!

aww yes, it's lovely when people help out. I've done the same. We are real people who have all experienced some weird issues on these meds and we can bounce off each other. We are definitely more knowledgeable than the docs lol x

• Posted

Tad-dah!!!!

There you go - different ingredients.  Whether that's the active or inactive ones, I'm not sure.  Wonder if you can google the PL number to see what's in them?

So the pharmacist has heard of that too.  What more can we say eh.....

Florida sounds great!!  Never been there. 

K x

• Posted

Ha ha! We may have found an answer here!  The pharmacist said it's the inactive ingredients. I might try googling!!

yes she had and she was very quick to say about active and inactive ingredients. The active ingredients must be 100% the same. The inactive ingredients can be anything, but she mentioned salt as a culprit...!!!

Yes it is great, I think me and the OH enjoy it more than the kids!!! X

• Posted

Goodness it's a minefield out there isn't it! 

well done for getting the tablets! They did that for my husband but never had the right brand delivered in our tour of the chemists!.."we get what they send"   

So  I know you have a relevant point here....

Have just got up to read these from overnite. Dashed off for my packet ...😂.it's Almus. And red box. And diffearnt to the one I had last time. White but I can't remember the brand. I always use the same chemist though  But I don't seem to be as sensitive to change as you. Try not to get too wound up by it or will increase your anxt! 

Hmmm am still not sure you ..may..be having some type of panic with what you descibe

the propranolol certainly helped me

lots of people take diazepam before flying..for fear of flying...so don't worry about that 

Last cple days I felt funny feeling in the afternoon in my stomach but it passed. Was very brief 

am week 12 today but as I got up to make ??This morning, looked out of the apartment window at the sunny day, I thought goodness I am even better today. You will get there

my journey is diffearnt to 2013 ..it's just the way it is.i think am better this time to be honest! But a build up of untreated anxiety does lead to a clinically. Depressed state.

am not sure the tablet chooses what your actually suffering from wether it be anxiety or depression....it just fantastically rewires my brain pathways. 

Anyway we are off to London to see our boys 🚉so I must get cracking...but I can remember a few weeks ago NOT being in an inspired state to go.....I was just not "well enough" so I know where your coming from

take care and you WILL improve x

• Posted

It is a minefield and I think the more you think about it, the worse you end up!!

ive never heard of that brand but to be honest, before all of this, I didn't take any notice. I did realise they were different colour packs but didn't think anything of it. Another lady just messaged me and she told me she had a reaction on the Accord version too! At some point today I will get both packs leaflets and see if there is any difference...sad or what!!

i live quite near London and it's a great day out. You must be better to do that considering it's quite worrying after that terrorist attack. Can't stop doing things though because there are nutters out there.  Hope you have a lovely day with your boys 😀

Anyway, just to let you know, imfelt ok this morning! So I sat with my cup of tea trying to work out whether to carry on with the Accord or go back to the Medreich!! I ended up carrying on with the Accord...two hours later, started feeling anxious and shaky again!! Urge!! So annoying!

x

• Posted

Oh also meant to say I've no idea whether it's just panic or not! All I know is that I was quite happy at work, sitting doing my thing and then wham, it hit. Thought it was just a mad moment but just got worse and worse. I guess it may be thoughts in the back of my mind causing it though when I was 'normal', it didn't happen. God knows!!! X

• Posted

OMG another update. I've just discovered that I've managed to put my 20mg pack in with my 10mg!! Just counted how many 20's I've taken and 8 are gone.  I only started them 6 days ago! This means I have taken 40mg twice at some point this week instead of my normal 30!!! Oops!!! No wonder I feel like I did when I increased to 30. What an idiot!! X

• Posted

Hi Kate. 

Ive been an idiot I think... I've just discovered that I have managed to put my 20mg pack in with my 10mg pack.i have taken 8 since starting them on Monday when I should be on 6!!! Oops!! That might explain a lot! It means that twice this week I've taken 40mg instead or 30. I said to my other half that I feel like I did when I increased to 30 last time!!  What a plonker! X

• Posted

You know I've done this with 5-HTP I'm taking (over the counter meds).  One day my heart was racing,I felt agitated all day and couldn't keep still all day.  I have 2 bottles of these pills (1 is 120mg / 1 a day and the other is 60mg / 2 a day) ...... yep, I'd taken 2 of the larger dose.

Easily done.

wink

• Posted

Think our posts just crossed over wink  I answered then saw your current post.

Its easily done, but at least it answers why you've been feeling none too good.  Its not a blip but an increase.

I've also done the opposite and missed meds and wondered why I felt heady and nauseous rolleyes

K x

• Posted

Trouble is I have packs of 10mg and packs of 20. And I now think I've only done it once as I seem to remember taking a 20 out of my current prescription last week as I couldn't find the other box!! My guess is is that I did it Wednesday when I started feeling angsty again. India d feel ok this morning though for an hour or so but been a bit off since then, not too bad though!! Like you say easily done but I will be more careful in future!! Hopefully if it is the increased dose it will start to calm down soon!! X

• Posted

Lol what an idiot!!

Anyway, since then I still feel off and I've decided to go back to the other brand which I did this morning. Have read a lot of comments about Accord not agreeing with people. There are certainly different coatings and fillers as I've had a look at both leaflets but as to what they are I've no idea!!

Having said all that, I guess I'm never going to know whether it is just me, the brand or my slight overdose!!! I could go on. Driving myself nuts!!!

Hope you had a good day out yesterday x

• Posted

A change to another brand of generic citalopram 100% affects the situation in your brain. Had taken branded citalopram (Ciprimil U.K) on two separate occasions without problems before being given generic citalopram on the third. Everything was normal until I was given a different brand,then I experienced a dip in symptoms and side effects that lasted days. My suspicions were confirmed when the same thing occurred on the next change to another brand. Have since been on Citalopram for a fourth time and insisted on the brand Ciprimil to my doctor which he agreed to. After approx. 3 months on Ciprimil was mistakenly given a generic brand,within days my symptoms considerably worsened again so that I had to phone my doctor to change them back. I also believe that generic citalopram is not as potent as Ciprimil after that experience.There are many many different brands of generic citalopram and the NHS UK constantly change brands for cost reasons. After research,companies manufacturing generic citalopram or any other SSRI do not have to match exactly 100% the original, they can use different bulking agents which can affect the release to your system. After taking every branded SSRI since 1992 they are now all generic after losing their patent and never had issues. I now take Fluvoxamine,and fortunately there is only one brand issued.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.