Reason meds take so long and why you feel rubbish

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hi everyone, here’s something I found online which you may find intersting.  Its about why you feel so rubbish when taking these meds, why your mood is up and down, why it takes so long and the process it all goes through.

Sorry its a long post.

When starting an SSRI or increasing it's dose often makes people feel really rubbish, which can cause a great deal of stress as you begin to wonder whats happening, why is their illness getting worse, are these meds working etc.

Somone recently posted a great post explaining what these meds do in our brains, and I’d like to add further to this.  So, as already posted ….. the brain is basically a big dense bundle of nerves which carry electrical signals around our brain and body.  The nerve cells don’t touch each other, leaving a small gap between each cell, called a synapse.  So how do signals get from one nerve to another?

Neurotransmitters are chemicals released by nerve cells that tell a neighbouring nerve cell to pass the signal along.  A bit like pass the parcel.  Serotonin is one such neurotransmitter.   So when an electrical signal reaches the end of a nerve cell that deals with serotonin, that cell releases serotonin into the gap (synapse), which then crosses the gap and interacts with the nearby nerve cell and tells it to pass the signal along.

Once the serotonin has done it's job, the serotonin is then reabsorbed from the gap so that no more signals are passed until the next one comes down the nerve.  SSRIs, (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) interfere with this reabsorbtion process and thus it stays in the gap longer, which equates to more serotonin and more signals.

So furthering on from there ….. why do you feel so rubbish?

So, along with the releasing of serotonin, and reabsorbing it, nerve cells also have parts that detect an increase in serotonin level and tell the nerve cell to stop producing anymore serotonin until the level drops.  These are called autoreceptors, which are the reason you feel like so rubbish.

So the SSRI will increase the amount of serotonin that’s gathered in the synapses between nerve cells, but unfortunately the autoreceptors of the nerve cell pick up on this increase and tell the nerve cell to stop producing serotonin.  The result of this is that when you first start taking an SSRI your serotonin levels drop.

How do they go up again?

Eventually with continuous use of the SSRI medication, the autoreceptors become desensitised, that is to say they've continually told the nerve cell to stop producing serotonin but yet serotonin is still there.  In short they simply give up.  They stop telling the nerve cell to stop producing serotonin and your serotonin levels start to increase.

This desensitisation takes time, it doesn't happen over night and it won't even begin to happen until the SSRI levels have stabilised.  This is why you feel so rubbish, and is why your mood drops and your anxiety increases (also fuelledd by the fear of not knowing whats going on).  Your mood will be up and down as the seronotin continues to try to stablise.

So, to summarise:

SSRIs cause your serotonin levels to drop when you first start taking them.  Your serotonin levels will not rise until the autoreceptors in your brain have stopped working (become desensitised), all of which takes lots and lots of time.  Everyone is different, so for some it can be many weeks and other months.

I hope this helps some people to understand what these meds are doing and why you don't get instant results, compared to other meds that work in different ways which is the reason they can have a more immediate effects (benzos for example).

K x 

16 likes, 145 replies

145 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Miss Kate. I've just completed my 2nd week of being off Cit. Still get the light headed feeling but that will hopefully pass soon. Exercising everyday and that seems to be helping also. Sure do feel tired but will push through that also. Weather is a bit off and we need more sunshine. That always seems to help!!!!! Enjoy youre day!!!!!

• Posted

Hey that's real good John.  I suppose the light headed feeling could last a few weeks or maybe months ??  Long as its not bothering you ...... it'll fade in time.  It takes a while for these meds to get into your system so I suppose it'll take a while leaving too ..... even though you've done it so gradual.  Yes exercise is brilliant - glad you're keeping that going smile

Our weather is nice at the mo ..... had a sunny weekend, though cooler today.  I was only saying yesterday to a friend how the sunshine lifts your spirits - makes a difference indeed.

K x

• Posted

Hi Miss K. The sooner the websies go away the better. Just foundd out that my iron is low in my blood. So the Doc is sending me for tests. Dont feel bad but she insists. She is a great doctor. Actually cares about her patients. I guess you are right when you said it will take awhile for the meds to get out of my system. Oh well as long as they get the heck out. Lol. Enjoy your day!!!!
    • Posted

Hi John

Mmmm wonder if its anything to do with being on or withdrawing from the meds ??  Probably not.  I expect they'll sort it whatever the cause anyway.

Nice to have a lovely doctor.  Yes reckon it'll be a while before you feel completely pill free - even though you are.

K x

• Posted

Hope its not too long for me Miis Kate. Hate the weird brain feelings. I have a gastroscopy booked for the AM. We'll see what they find in there. Hopefully its nothing. My Dr just wants to be thorough and cover all the bases when it comes to low iron!!!!! I started taking multivitamins and see if they help. Enjoy youre evening!!!!!

• Posted

So are you getting brain zaps?  Hope the procedure went well this morning - do you get results immediately or have to wait?

K x

• Posted

Hi. I'm new here and finally understand how SSRI work 'thankyou for that.

I've taken Citalopran 40Mgs for 14yrs and have recently been referred for Pyschiatric referral after having a mental health crisis a few weeks ago.

If anyone has been through this or been on Citalopran for a long time and I may need to change meds - any advice would be helpful. I also take 700mgs of Pregabalin for pain control.

Regards to all.

• Posted

Hi Tuppence

I took Citalopram for 16 years so was also a long time user. Have you been well at all on the 40mg in all those years? Some people do find 40mg is too much and continue to struggle on it - and of course some find different meds suit them too. A high dose doesn't always mean you get more benefit.

K x

• Posted

Good morning tuppence

yes katecogs is right

you may be on too much....

it works very well for me at 20mg. This is my 13 th week second time around

good luck 

• Posted

Hi. Thank you both.

No I've been struggling really - am now in the position were it may be changed.

Dreading withdrawal and new meds prescribed.

I already take pregamblin (700mgs daily ).

Haven't started on the Buprenorphine patch yet 5mgs.

Don't feel my body can take any more - scared really.

X

• Posted

I'd certainly give reduction a go first before going into fully changing as often its just an alteration that can do the trick.  40mg is the maximum dose you can take on Citalopram and I know many struggle on it.  If you want to reduce try dropping first to 35mg - when I withdrew I did so by 5mg each time and I didn't get any effects (unlike the first time I did by a larger dose).  I bought a pill cutter and cut the 20mg into 4 (5mg each) and I stayed on each reduction for a good 4 weeks (sometimes longer) before reducing again.

I recovered on 20mg ...... some people don't need to the maximum dose to recover.  Everybody is different.

Try reducing first and see how it goes.

• Posted

I have just posted something similar elsewhere but I reduced by 2.5 mg a week using s pill cutter so I was down to 1.25 mg by the end

No withdrawel problems but took me a year coming down from 20 mg

A dose thatworked for me and that I am actually back again since Jan.

• Posted

That's great!!  I'd have gone less than 5mg if that hadn't suited me, but it was fine ...... it pays to go extra slow doesn't it.  Yes my last dose was 1.25mg too and crushed that and took the powder.  It was miniscule!! cheesygrin

K x

• Posted

Yes I'll bare that in mind.

Thank you both for your input.

Just looking for a pill cutter online.

Thanks again - enjoy reading your wealth of knowledge.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.