Reason meds take so long and why you feel rubbish

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hi everyone, here’s something I found online which you may find intersting.  Its about why you feel so rubbish when taking these meds, why your mood is up and down, why it takes so long and the process it all goes through.

Sorry its a long post.

When starting an SSRI or increasing it's dose often makes people feel really rubbish, which can cause a great deal of stress as you begin to wonder whats happening, why is their illness getting worse, are these meds working etc.

Somone recently posted a great post explaining what these meds do in our brains, and I’d like to add further to this.  So, as already posted ….. the brain is basically a big dense bundle of nerves which carry electrical signals around our brain and body.  The nerve cells don’t touch each other, leaving a small gap between each cell, called a synapse.  So how do signals get from one nerve to another?

Neurotransmitters are chemicals released by nerve cells that tell a neighbouring nerve cell to pass the signal along.  A bit like pass the parcel.  Serotonin is one such neurotransmitter.   So when an electrical signal reaches the end of a nerve cell that deals with serotonin, that cell releases serotonin into the gap (synapse), which then crosses the gap and interacts with the nearby nerve cell and tells it to pass the signal along.

Once the serotonin has done it's job, the serotonin is then reabsorbed from the gap so that no more signals are passed until the next one comes down the nerve.  SSRIs, (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) interfere with this reabsorbtion process and thus it stays in the gap longer, which equates to more serotonin and more signals.

So furthering on from there ….. why do you feel so rubbish?

So, along with the releasing of serotonin, and reabsorbing it, nerve cells also have parts that detect an increase in serotonin level and tell the nerve cell to stop producing anymore serotonin until the level drops.  These are called autoreceptors, which are the reason you feel like so rubbish.

So the SSRI will increase the amount of serotonin that’s gathered in the synapses between nerve cells, but unfortunately the autoreceptors of the nerve cell pick up on this increase and tell the nerve cell to stop producing serotonin.  The result of this is that when you first start taking an SSRI your serotonin levels drop.

How do they go up again?

Eventually with continuous use of the SSRI medication, the autoreceptors become desensitised, that is to say they've continually told the nerve cell to stop producing serotonin but yet serotonin is still there.  In short they simply give up.  They stop telling the nerve cell to stop producing serotonin and your serotonin levels start to increase.

This desensitisation takes time, it doesn't happen over night and it won't even begin to happen until the SSRI levels have stabilised.  This is why you feel so rubbish, and is why your mood drops and your anxiety increases (also fuelledd by the fear of not knowing whats going on).  Your mood will be up and down as the seronotin continues to try to stablise.

So, to summarise:

SSRIs cause your serotonin levels to drop when you first start taking them.  Your serotonin levels will not rise until the autoreceptors in your brain have stopped working (become desensitised), all of which takes lots and lots of time.  Everyone is different, so for some it can be many weeks and other months.

I hope this helps some people to understand what these meds are doing and why you don't get instant results, compared to other meds that work in different ways which is the reason they can have a more immediate effects (benzos for example).

K x 

16 likes, 145 replies

145 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Good evening Miss Kate. So does this all mean that when you come off Cit that the reverse happens. Today is exactly 4 weeks since I took my last 5 mg tablet of Cit. And to be honest I dont feel that great. My head is just ringning and i also have a dang cold. I just want to feel like my old self again before I started taking all these AD's!!!!!! Hopefully the blue cloud that follows me around will be gone soon!!!!!! Enjoy your day and thanks for that great explanation.

• Posted

Hi there

Mmmmm could be that the cold has affected you - its surprising what things can upset your body.

Since I've been off meds I've taken 5-HTP which is a natural SSRI and doesn't have any of the nasty side effects or withdrawl either and can be started / stopped anytime without having to wean on / off.  These are bought over the counter.  I do know I need something because I do get flat and also get that cloud hanging over me.  5-HTP keeps me well wink

SSRI's hang onto your serotonin so sometimes comming off them can make you feel flat again.

See how things go after the cold has gone - its probably your head to feel strange.

K x

• Posted

Hmmmm....well yes I agree wait until cold has gone. Bad timing that isn't it. You must feel lousy 

My last final dose was1.25mg for a month then alternate days for a month ....but but but. As I said 6 weeks after I felt the low feelings return and black dog barking!

i tried cbt mindfulness st jons wort meditation over next three years

stj didn't work although I so wanted to believe it was

katecogs suggested 5 htp and I did get couple of jars OTC

from a reliable health food shop

however  the effect of that I read was not long term with constant use and did I read there was a reason you had to stop it after several weeks then re-evaluate. ??Kate may know more...

i didn't feel that was going to sufficiently control things for me and was too ad hoc.  Purely a personal thing. 

Back on 20 mg since January 

I am AOK brilliant now....I think I need the chemical for life to be honest. But I will try reducing to a lower dose long term

but my life and others! Are better for me sticking on it. I am in my early 60 s 

• Posted

Using St Johns Wort - a lot of people who buy this product usually get the wrong stuff.  Herbal products come in different forms and qualities, and I've read that its important to buy one that is guaranteed to have a 0.3% hypericin content.

5-HTP - yes the effect of this can wear off after a month or so.  Its a bit long winded but in a nutshell its important to enhance it with 'Catecholamine Precursors' - and is suggested that you also take l-tyrosine (again bought over the counter).  This restores the levels of 5-HTP.

I've been taking both for 8 months and am having good results as I did some years ago.

I also need something for life, especially after 16 years of being ill, and I'd found that in taking SSRI's ........ took them for about 16 years and never thought I'd come off them.  I lowered the dose as far as I could and continued on them for many years.  However I eventually began to look elsewhere, found 5-HTP, read up on it, tried it and am amazed at the outcome.  5-HTP works exactly the same as SSRI's, but has none of the side effects.  5-HTP is not a synthetic drug - its a compound produced produced by the body from tryptophan, an amini acid foun in many foods, though it can be very difficult to consume tnough tryptophan in the diet.  

I'd never say no to prescribed SSRI's though and would return to them in an instant if ever I felt I needed to.  They were my saviour.  For now though, I'll continue with 5-HTP.

• Posted

That's great Kate that your doing so well

The Stj was from a good source but I think it was too mild for me!😏

I did try the 5htp but just felt I wasn't getting anywhere

such is life!

have a great day..which is what I am having 😎

• Posted

Maybe we all suit different things or maybe it wasn't the right time to try them?  I was on Citalopram for 16 years before trying it so maybe my body was used to feeling  the way it did?  We're all weird and wacky creatures at times haha cheesygrin

Citalopram is a good medicine though .... helped me twice now.

K xx

• Posted

Hi Kate

i have now been on an increased dosage of 30mg, up from 20mg for around 5 weeks i am still getting g morning anxiety (same as before the increase in dose) and nausea. Online it is saying that side effects should wear off after a couple of weeks. i am confused as to when i will know if the increase is working or not and when i should revisit my approach

many thanks for your help

ian

• Posted

Hi Ian

Realised I didn’t reply.

Side effects do wear off but its not always in a few weeks. Can be any time for each individual. And though the side effects may wear off you’ll probably still get anxiety symptoms for some time yet until you’ve healed.

My first time on meds took 6 months and second time around was around 9 months - it really is that slow.

It never feels like you’re recovering and it feels never ending - but recovery creeps in so slowly.

You don’t always see dramatic changes in an increase immediately, but if it were me I’d give it a good 3 months.

• Posted

Hi Kate, not sure if you can send pm's at the moment but I'd love to have the link to the book that is so popular! I absolutely appreciate your posts, you hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. I'm still struggling after 3 months on 20mg. Thanks to everyone that posts, it all helps

• Posted

Hi Julie

No still can’t send pm’s at the moment so can’t send any links. I’m also not allowed to post them on this forum or mention the author as they’ll get deleted by the Moderator. Annoying …….

3 months is quite early still but just keep going on the 20mg. Its a gradual process and some people start to notice improvements around 3 months onwards.

But keep going as things should begin to change for you.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate

Thanks for your reply. I shall keep battling on. Morning anxiety is the worst and the weird and wonderful thoughts that my mind can dream up! Just strange how you can go to bed feeling okay and wake up feeling horrific. You are an inspiration! Fingers crossed for everyone!

• Posted

OMG Kate... what happened to the messaging we used to do?

Do you remember me? My son Brooks who is autistic was on 20mgs and you and especially Lois helped me with weaning him off. I really hope you remember.

I am reaching out because it was 2 years ago this past May and he is still suffering from withdrawals! Honestly I don't know which one was worse, him being on it or being off of it. If he was the kid he was before he went on Celexa, I would be so happy. Two years. Has anyone else here had the same problem?

And I miss Lois...

• Posted

Hi jojo

Yes I remember you - and yes, the lack of messaging is such a pain - nobody can have private conversations now 😦

Goodness!!! Your son is still having withdrawals from the meds? Are you sure he isn’t having anxiety rather than withdrawals? I guess he sees a doctor about this?

Lois is still on the forum - I chatted to her recently on the forum. I miss chatting to he privately though ……

• Posted

Very helpful, thank you.

Is low mood part of the starting side effects? This is my second time on citalopram (only 2 weeks in) but I don't recall feeling so low last time. When the anxiety eases in the afternoon the low mood descends. I wonder if it is "normal"?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.