Recent Diagnosis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well, I’ve finally got the answer as to why I’ve got a constant chronic cough and the 10th chest infection this year.

I was told I had asthma a couple of years ago and prescribed inhalers and steroids. I’ve never really been convinced I had asthma.

I got referred to respiratory medicine at the hospital and after umpteen tests, X-rays, mri scans, different medications, was told by the consultant I’d got Bronchiectasis. Never heard of it before, but was shown my scan pictures of my lungs and saw the damage. There’s no cure, but there’s ways of managing it.

Went to do some shopping straight after and decided to buy a couple of bottles of wine. Husband was away, no grandkids so I thought I’d console myself and wallow with wine. I gave myself all sorts of reasons to justify this, after all I’ve drunk a bottle of wine socially and had no problems! So what was the difference?

Got home, unpacked shopping. Put a bottle of prosecco in the fridge and opened the other. Took a large glass to have in the bath and relax.

Thankfully, I only had a couple of sips and common sense took over. Bit of a waste, but poured the bottle down the sink and phoned my daughter and told her what I’d done. She came round straight away with a take away and ended up staying the night. She was so happy I’d told her and took the other bottle home the next morning.

Would this have turned into a binge, I hope not? My problem was not drinking a bottle of wine, but breaking my golden rule of not drinking alone. The dreaded slippery slope.

The temptation will always be there, but I know I can stop myself. The diagnosis is still the same, wine won’t alter that and I’d have felt even worse

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good for you! You beat the demon and feel better for it. I wish the best of luck with the Bronchiectasis. Let us know how you are doing.
  • Posted

You did so so well to override the temptation and throw it away and call your daughter. And such a lovely supportive daughter to comeback round and stay with you. Well done you! Xxx
  • Posted

Well done and I hope you and the docs get to manage your chest problem effectively
  • Posted

Good for you Vickylou.  Awareness is your guide.

Wishing you all the best for managing your condition. x

• Posted

Thanks for the nice comments and good wishes. I’m looking positive today, ok it’s a shock and no cure, but with medication, careful monitoring and physio, it can hopefully be controlled.

There are people with much more serious diseases who cope, so no reason why I can’t.

It has made me paranoid about cancelling arrangements at the last minute, and letting people down, as I’m sure folk must think I’m back on the booze. Got to accept I know I’m not as do my family, and close friends, and they’re the ones that matter 

• Posted

Brilliant!like you, I would never drink alone and have had two small glasses of champagne at work. At work. With colleagues and BIG celebration! 5 years soon. Keep it up!
  • Posted

Forgot to send wishes for controlling chest problems with your doctors 😯

• Posted

Thanks Robin for your good wishes.

Any plans to treat yourself for achieving 5 years? Knowing you, seeing your twins happy faces on Christmas Day, will be your reward. A fantastic achievement, done without medication. Sheer determination and willpower alone. Brilliant 

• Posted

Show with family 31st DEC Cinderella! And my mother flying in, sister in law. Live shows with dancing are ace!
    • Posted

Sounds good to me. Fun times ahead 😄😄😄😄

• Posted

Well done, Vickylou! I'm proud of you for handling this bad news and staying on course! Have you looked into vitamin D and Bronchiectasis? There appear to be some interesting studies on it. 

• Posted

Hi ADEfree

Many thanks ADE!

No I’ve not heard anything about vit D and bronchiectasis. I’ll certainly have a good trawl and read up on it. Will get back to you on this. Nothing was mentioned at the hospital and nothing in all the information they gave me.

Thanks again

• Posted

ADE

Thanks so much for this information. I’ve just had a quick look and there’s loads of information about new research.

Very detailed information about the correlation between Vit D deficiency and bronchiectasis which I will read through later. Certainly looks like interesting information and research studies between the two.

Thanks again for telling me

• Posted

I hope you find some useful info in there! You're more trained in medicine than I am, so it would be interesting to hear your take on it. I'll PM you a link to a video that has to do with Vitamin D, B vitamins, gut biome and sleep. I thought it was rather interesting.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the advice and link you gave me. Was really good of you to go to so much trouble.

Have trawled through all the info which I’d never have found if you hadn’t told me.

To cut a long story short, I also have lichen sclerosus, insomnia and psoriasis, as well as the bronchiectasis. They are all linked in some way to deficiency in vitamin D.

I had follow up appointment with respiratory consultant and also dermatologist last week and whilst the dermatologist knew about vit d, respiratory consultant didn’t.

Am starting uv treatment (no not a sun bed lol!) light treatment next week and now added extra vit d foods to my diet. Psoriasis has already improved. Will keep you updated and thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.