Recent Diagnosis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well, I’ve finally got the answer as to why I’ve got a constant chronic cough and the 10th chest infection this year.

I was told I had asthma a couple of years ago and prescribed inhalers and steroids. I’ve never really been convinced I had asthma.

I got referred to respiratory medicine at the hospital and after umpteen tests, X-rays, mri scans, different medications, was told by the consultant I’d got Bronchiectasis. Never heard of it before, but was shown my scan pictures of my lungs and saw the damage. There’s no cure, but there’s ways of managing it.

Went to do some shopping straight after and decided to buy a couple of bottles of wine. Husband was away, no grandkids so I thought I’d console myself and wallow with wine. I gave myself all sorts of reasons to justify this, after all I’ve drunk a bottle of wine socially and had no problems! So what was the difference?

Got home, unpacked shopping. Put a bottle of prosecco in the fridge and opened the other. Took a large glass to have in the bath and relax.

Thankfully, I only had a couple of sips and common sense took over. Bit of a waste, but poured the bottle down the sink and phoned my daughter and told her what I’d done. She came round straight away with a take away and ended up staying the night. She was so happy I’d told her and took the other bottle home the next morning.

Would this have turned into a binge, I hope not? My problem was not drinking a bottle of wine, but breaking my golden rule of not drinking alone. The dreaded slippery slope.

The temptation will always be there, but I know I can stop myself. The diagnosis is still the same, wine won’t alter that and I’d have felt even worse

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So well done Vicks.As I started to read your story here I began to feel a deep worry of the possible outcome Phew ! Good on you for hitting that alcohol demon over the head good and hard and then and quickly getting the support of your daughter, what a lovely understanding girl you have there .

I smiled when you said you poured the prosseco to drink in the bath , to relax I guess.So many times I have done this in the past kidding myself it was 'normal'but from the first sip ( oops no great big gulp ) it started the next binge.

All the best for controlling the Bronchiecstasis , at least at last you know what you are dealing with and get the support to help you. Thanks for sharing your story Vicks , a stark reminder to many of us how important it is to keep mindful 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.