recent update and options

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all.

?Brief update and options for those of you who've been responding to my posts. Absolutely no improvement or progress with condition and symptoms. Spoke with Dr. Undavia who performed balloon dilation surgery back on 7/7/2017. He advised me to cope with it as best as I can and we can discuss a second attempt at surgery in July of 2018 as medical and insurance protocol prohibits surgery any sooner,,,,,and it's never a good idea to go under General Anesthesia too may times in a shorter period of time.....Destroys brain cells and since I'm a product of the 70's and 80's I've done enough personal recreational damage on my own ( LOL). He also suggested a stronger dose or different type of anxiety medication. I'm currently on 1mg Xanax 2x a day. One observation is if I take them first thing in the a.m. symptomatically, they work for most of the day, Seeing my GP on 11/08 /17 and will bring this up to him. He's usually very accommodating in these matters. In the meantime just have to grin and bear it.  BTW .....went to see Waitress in NYC and YES in my hometown of Trenton NJ. No problems with my ear at either show and they were both outstanding !  That's all for now. Keep your fingers crossed. Will send out updates positive and negative periodically. Thanks for caring and I wish all of you suffering with this the very best in solving the problem !

Sincerely,

Merlin

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you.... what are the symptoms that you have? Do you have tinnitus?
    • Posted

Hi D,

?No tinnitus ! My symptoms are a 24/7 fullness in my right ear only. No Pain or discomfort just incredibly annoying ! Sometimes it's bad other times unbearable, hence the Xanax to calm my nerves and social functionality.Going to ask about the Nasule drops per Anne of this forum. Hopefully they''ll work or at least give me some temporary relief. I'll keep you posted!

Sincerely

Merlin

• Posted

This is what I have but in both Ears with crackling when I move my jaw.   No tinnitus thankfully.  That would put me over the edge!  

My ear issues seem to be a combo of allergies and TMJ.  I’m receiving allergy shots since none of the medications seem to really help my ears and I’m receiving splint therapy and physical therapy for the TMJ 

• Posted

Oh and tonight they feel like they have a bubble down inside them and they feel wet.  

I had a crown put on last Thursday and I have been having problems since.  

• Posted

Hello Ann,  sounds as though you could have a tiny perforation if you ear feel wet.  Sadly the hole probably is too tiny to drain all the muck out.

It's my left ear that gets so blocked and I wondered whether the cause could be a very deep filled top back left tooth, that was later crowned could be the cause of my ETD....evidently not, as my dentist X-rayed that tooth, then a big X-ray of the whole of my mouth.

I really think when people on this Forum are saying that it's TMJ, personally we can't all be suffering TMJ that also suffer ETD....wishful thinking I think !!

Could be just a coincidence

Anne

• Posted

From what I have read and discussed with my TMJ dentist and PT is that most (up to 90%) of TMJ cases are muscular in nature.  The xrays won't pick up the muscle issue but they should catch a joint issue.  When I was diagnosed I wasn't having any jaw pain but the way I described my ear issues and the pulling sensation in front of them made my ENT immediately think TMJ.  The TMJ dentist spent almost 3 hours with me taking measurements, poking around on my head and shoulders (TMJ has referred pain with trigger points) and using papers to check the bite.  He did other things too but that is all I remember.  It wasn't long after I was diagnosed that I started having muscle pain/spasms in my right masseter muscle.  When that muscle spasms it pulls and I can feel my ear acting up.  When I put in the splint my ears and the muscles will usually straighten up within 30 min to an hour.  I take it out and it starts all over again!  I wish the splint was comfortable so I could wear it more but it's not.  I actually start to feel panicky after a while.  sad  

If I'm not having muscle pain and my ears are acting up then it's usually allergies.  Last night I was feeding my grandson on a pillow and didn't realize the cat had slept on that pillow earlier!  That is when my ears felt like they had a bubble in them.  The splint didn't help at all.  After I took a shower and went to bed they got better.  

If you have a high filling and a crown it could definitely be throwing off your bite.  I have been miserable since I got a crown last Thursday.   Bite alignment can cause a whole mess of issues in some people.   

I feel like my allergy issues are getting better but my TMJ issue is getting worse!  TMJ isn't a quick fix.  I will most likely be put in a MORA splint worn 24/7 for months until my mandible is in alignment.  If that does resolve the TMJ the next step is crowns, bridges and dental work to make the teeth perfectly even.  Braces are a possibility.  

I had no idea TMJ could be such a horrible condition!  and dealing with the allergies on top of the TMJ makes it even more frustrating.  

• Posted

Allergies and TMJ what a rotten combination.  I definitely know that my problem is allergy relate, but will ask my ENT consultant when I next see him in February is TMJ could potentially be a problem with my left ear.  I'll have to take a look at the date it crown was put on and look when my left ear became bad....always worth trying to find out.  Happily, the Flixonase Nasules are working for me and \i'm now only using them every 3 days to lessen any potential side affects.

Thanks for that information Ann and I'm a nanny too, but my grandsons are young men now.

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.