recently diagnosed

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a 60 year old male from the United States.  After 2 years and 2 doctors telling me there was nothing wrong I was finally diagnosed.  I am beginning steroid cream therapy. After a few days now I think I am having some relief but it is difficult to tell. 

I hid my problem for as long as I could. I thought it was somehow a sexual transmitted disease but couldn't think how. 

Now I've been diagnosed I have done a little research and found there may be a genetic link and not contagious. 

4 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Circumsision is often quoted as a "cure" but some information says LS just recurs on the cut site. Claims for never appearing on circumsized males seems to be inaccurate. Only seems to be done (UK) when resulting phimosis is a problem.
    • Posted

As a matter of fact that is exactly where it appeared.  Along the cut site extending to the penis head.
  • Posted

In fact I couldn't get a doctor to say there was a problem.  I then began my own research using my symptoms.  I pointed out, again, my symptoms and asked if it could be LS. He did a biopsy and confirmed the diagnosis.  

I think many doctors use the "if I don't know it doesn't exist" form of diagnosing. 

• Posted

I think many doctors are unfamiliar with the illness.  Many people are too. Before my diagnoses I had never heard of LS.  Let alone the debilitating it eventually leaves a person with. Earlier on I was optimistic and talked to my doctors about my findings.  Even put info on a CD and passed it on.  But since I have no medical background I don't think my doing had much cloud. 
    • Posted

Seems a common method.

Mine said not sure (fair enough, & honest), so I ended up getting the refernces for him and then he agreed. Others who should have known better had no idea. I thought I would have a long explanation with another Doc. but a brief telephone explanation was sufficient and she prescibed what I was asking for.

• Posted

I agree.  Plus, honestly, when it comes to the genitalia most doctors prefer the see nothing know nothing approach to both sexes. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.