Recently diagnosed and increasingly scared

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hey there everyone. I was diagnosed by my gp a couple of weeks ago. Am using the steroid cream nightly after bathing in water and baking soda, using water spray after peeing and moisturising with olive oil/ coconut oil, all thanks to advice gleaned on this incredible forum. The area around my bum is white, so are the insides of my labia, I have no ulcers or tears and not much itching  but it’s all pretty scary down there and although I really I thought I was coping with this diagnosis and the new routine, I am daily becoming more anxious about cancer. I look with a mirror and have no idea what is going on, it all looks so different and weird, that I’m really starting to dread the evenings when I have to put on the steroid cream. So far after 2 weeks, there’s been no improvement of the white patches and my heart is sinking. I’m not sure how long I’ve had this, maybe 6 months, maybe longer and I have this awful growing fear. How quickly does fusing happen, in days, weeks? And when people refer to scarring do they mean the white patches? Are the scarred parts/ white patches where cancer is more likely to occur? I’d be so grateful for any help, I’m just getting more and more confused and upset the more I learn about this condition. 

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello,  

You voice my sentiments.  I'm  72 and have had LS for about 11 years.  I had a brief remission of maybe 2 years and now it is back like a vengence.  I too don't recognize what is happening down there.  I'm afraid to look because it is constantly changing and I don't know what normal is anymore.  Next week I am seeing an acupuncturist and someone who practices Chinese pharmacology. I'm hoping he can change the energy in my body.  I've been reading online about this course of action and healing from LS, so I am encouraged.  It is an expensive process, but I literally can't stand it anymore.  I think I lost my last boyfriend a year ago because intercourse was pretty much impossible.  I use Clobestol sparingly because of the side effects, but when the itching is unbearable I use it.  In between, I use Caster oil to stay moist.  There is lots of good advice on this site and it is very nice to know we are not alone.  I can't believe how many women have this. I did have a biopsy to confirm my condition and it is advisable to check in with your doctor to get checked every once in a while. 

Stay tuned to my experience with the acupuncture and his advice.  Hang in there.

• Posted

I’m sorry to hear about your boyfriend. I’m single and fear that any relationship is now completely impossible which is a hard pill to swallowXx
    • Posted

Hi sue 

Have you ever had abnormal cells after a cervical smear in the past, some types of Lichen planus are caused by hpv virus. So it's autoimmune and it causes us to have other problems. I'm almost 60 and had colposcopy years ago after an abnormal smear, it's linked X

• Posted

Hi Karen,  I have had abnormal cells after a pap smear, but that was years ago.  Turns out it wasn't cancer, just hormonal stuff going on.

• Posted

Yes it's definitely linked sue, donyou gave Lichen planus any where else or any other health issues, I can't eat anything spicy now have it in my mouth so have to avoid certain foods X

• Posted

Oh my Karen.  I don't know about Lichen planus.  Never came up in my exams.  Besides watching your diet for the issues in your mouth, what meds can you take?  Is your mouth itchy? So sorry you are going through this.

• Posted

No it isn't itchy Susan just burns when I eat anything spicy so I need to watch what I eat, there's mouthwashes for this. Do you have any other Heath issues, LS and LP are autoimmune so I blame everything I get on this! X

• Posted

Hi Karen,  I don't have any other issues, at least at the moment.

• Posted

Hi hun, please do stay calm and try and relax as much as you can. Worrying endlessly Doesn’t help, I’m in exactly the same boat as you can as only diagnosed in April so still coming to terms with everything. My white patches have increased but the itching as stopped. I’m trying different things like all the others using this site. I’ve noticed destressing your self helps the condition. Sorry I can’t be if more help, as I’m still new to this, I am using the steroid cream daily. Which country are you in ? 
    • Posted

Hi Blueplum, thanks for posting, I’m in the uk. I think my patches have increased, certainly around my bum. I guess I’ve been in denial the last couple of weeks, somehow imagining it will miraculously disappear after a bit of treatment. It’s becoming obvious that acceptance is the way forward. Hey ho. I do appreciate everyone’s responses xx
  • Posted

Try no to worry so much. Fusing happens slowly and gradually. It doesn't happen overnight. It is better to avoid looking everyday give it a week then you might see an improvement. Cancer is quite rare you can't keep in stressing about it, Stress is a real factor in causing

flare ups. You will earn to live with this and to take it one day at a time. You will probably always have this but

if you can see it as an inconvenience rather than a life sentence your life will go on and you will adapt. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Ann. I do need to reframe it somehow. Good to know the fusing is a slower process. X
  • Posted

ajay, I am a male with LS and have been treating mine for 7+ years.  The scarring you are asking about is completely separate to the white patches, as the scarring will most likely form where there has been greatest trauma to the skin, including the white-patch areas.

As you do not seem to be getting any benefit from the steroid make sure you are using Clobetasol - most often this is in the Dermovate or ClobaDerm brands.  If you are not on this ask your GP to switch you to it.  If you are getting no long-term benefit from steroid use ask for a referral to a Dermatologist.  If you happen to be on Clobetasol already, maybe you are not working it into the skin sufficiently - don't forget, this is your skins 'rescue life-line' - be good to your skin and it will respond positively.  If you are able to tolerate showers, have a warm (not hot!) shower, dry thoroughly, then apply the Clobetasol working it into the skin.  Once you have applied it to ALL the affected areas of skin, use a massage action (no additional Clobetasol) to really ensure the skin can benefit from the steroidal action.  Good Luck ...

• Posted

Thanks duggie. That’s cleared up a few concerns. It is the clobetosol I’m using, I’ll rub it in more.warm not hot baths is good tip, I’ve always loved a hot bath, so most surely that’s got to stop! Xx
    • Posted

Hi, if it isn't too personal, from a male perspective, has LS been an interference in your relationship(s)? A number of women have had lots of issues in how to tell a boyfriend or start dating again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.