Recently diagnosed and need some help please

Posted , 10 users are following.

After more than 2yrs backwards and forwards to the GP with what feels like constant constipation and horrendous burning back pain, I recently had a ct colonoscopy and finally told I have some diverticulitis and avoid constipation. That was it, no discussion or follow up, just a letter. 

Mostly I am reading of people who have the opposite to constipation or alternate between both.

I went to my GP today as the burning pain in my back is getting me down. She told me that I have to take a laxative on a regular basis, which now makes sense, as I take something one night, ok next day, then it builds up again. 

Do any fellow sufferers have the same symptoms as me, and have a prefered method of relieving them?

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Laxatives on a regular basis could lead to more irritation. When I absolutely have to take them, they usually give me really bad cramps.

I really try to increase my water intake (you really need to stay very hydrated with this condition). Start taking a good probiotic pill to help with good bacteria. I try to increase the fiber as most doctors say, but if you do too much and don't hydrate, the extra fiber only binds me up.

• Posted

Whenever I took a laxative I always felt as though it irritated my bowel, it felt like inflammation, so I wondered if what I was taking was too severe. but the GP said it would be the dry stools causing it.I have been trying to drink more water over the last few days but as yet it hasn't helped, and I feel as though I need some movement soon. 
  • Posted

With diverticulitis such as myself I suffered with lower left side pain, I was able to use the bathroom, I think a little too much. There are many people who have spoken about being constipated. But the burning you are experiencing I'm not sure. 
    • Posted

When I explained the burning sensation to my GP, she seemed to think it was the dry stools that would be causing the pain. I will try movicol and see if I can get into some sort of regular pattern. She did say I would have to see what works for me, ie, taking it every day or every other day.

• Posted

Hi, I experience similar symptoms to yours. I was told the burning, stitch like pain and lower back pain was due to the inflammation. Generally speaking I don't experience constipation and have been told to keep well hydrated. Depending on which doctor I see there is different and often Conflicting advice so between the great advice and support from people on this forum and figuring as much as I can myself through trial and error. I am trying to manage this painful and debilitating gcondition. I wish you well and sorry I can't offer more specific help to you.
  • Posted

My daughter experienced constipation and she was feeling very bad, not sure if she experienced burning but I know she couldn't go to work and she tried everything from drinking coffee to stool softener eventually she got better. Overall I think things like this is a process just like my situation. I want this to go away immediately but that's not going to happen unfortunately. As you stated try several things something will work but in the meantime stay home and get well. Sorry your going through this. 
  • Posted

Hi Shazz. I my self have diverticular disease. I am sure it is slightly different to diverticulitis. I myself use manevac at night. It is very gentle on the bowel and needs to be taken with plenty of water. It is granules, which are quite easy to swallow. Have a word with your GP to see if you can try this. I have never looked back. I still get pains, but they are nothing like they used to be. A couple of paracetamol usually clears it up.

You also need to watch what your eating as seeds, pips and nuts can give you a bad flare up. Things like tomatoes, seeded grapes, seeded bread are all no not.

See if you can get a list of things to avoid from your GP too. Failing that, you can always search online.

Take care.

• Posted

Thanks Lesley, thats exactly what I said to the GP today, I want something that will act gently, as I felt movicol seemed a bit severe, almost like a mini explosion if you see what I mean smile, and that seemed to make me feel more inflammation as if it had irritated my bowel. As I'm new to all this,I did think she might have said it was a flare up and given me antibiotics as I have read of others having them. I work in a chemist and we have an elderly customer who buys manevac, they are a bit pricey, but I may just give them a try.
  • Posted

I think my problem was not knowing what I was dealing with for all this time. I would take a laxative, then when it worked, I didn't bother again, but it would just build up again within a few days, like a viscious circle. 
  • Posted

I don't like the idea of taking laxatives regularly even mild ones. It may not suit everyone but I take psyllium husk daily which means your motions are always soft which helps when you have either diahorrea or constipation.

You get bloating and wind especially at first but it's worth it in the long run.

Good luck

Pete

• Posted

Hi Pete. Psyllium husk is what manevac is, exactly the same thing.
    • Posted

I buy the whole psyllium husk in 500g  or 1 Kg quantities from Amazon rather than a branded (more expensive) variety. Works out quite cheap 😊
    • Posted

Pete, I would like to look into these pills to keep one regular. Are these pills big in size cause I always have to cut them in order to swallow them
    • Posted

Hi Angelina 

It is not in tablet form. It is loose in a bag and you take up to 2/3 spoonfuls a day.

It is available in capsule form or in sachets but that works out more expensive.

HTH Pete

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.