Recently diagnosed and need some help please

Posted , 10 users are following.

After more than 2yrs backwards and forwards to the GP with what feels like constant constipation and horrendous burning back pain, I recently had a ct colonoscopy and finally told I have some diverticulitis and avoid constipation. That was it, no discussion or follow up, just a letter. 

Mostly I am reading of people who have the opposite to constipation or alternate between both.

I went to my GP today as the burning pain in my back is getting me down. She told me that I have to take a laxative on a regular basis, which now makes sense, as I take something one night, ok next day, then it builds up again. 

Do any fellow sufferers have the same symptoms as me, and have a prefered method of relieving them?

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

Where abouts in your back is the pain the upper part or lower part

• Posted

Hi Kelly, the only way I can describe it is, like a stone stuck in my lower back, along with tingling nerve pain going upwards. 
  • Posted

Sorry but did your GP checkup it bloods. I had burning and stitch where I could feel it and landed at a and e with a severe infection. I didn't even think I was that bad as I'd become so used to the pain and feeling like I was not being listened to!!! And I didn't have hard poos at all.... If you are the slightest bit worried go right to a and e. Thank goodness too. And finally I feel nearly human again after so many months of suffering - long story short but it was the trip to the hospital that got the ball rolling!
    • Posted

No, no bloods taken, didn't even examine me. I thought it may be an infection as I have read of others needing antibiotics, but I don't actually know what a flare up is or how it feels. I am going to use movicol over the weekend and if no improvement I will go back to the GP. I was told a couple of years ago that I had mild spondylosis, so maybe the tingling/nerve pain has something to do with that.
    • Posted

I was given a foam for colitis back in Jan and it burned. At one point I could feel it actually moving past that spot like the feel of running your hand over ummm bumps. Then that just became the norm for me so I didn't make a fuss. All of a sudden on a Friday night I woke up with a 'stitch' then it stopped. It came and went and then on Monday I reached for something low and it was a much stronger stitch... I even wrangled with going to the hospital because I didn't think it was all that bad but with hubby saying well maybe u should I did. Bloods showed high degree inflammation, infection, was sent for a chest X-ray pronto to ensure nothing had burst. ... I still didn't think I was really that bad... and only because I had been drinking energy drinks was I well enough hydrated to go home... Though I did get worse while at a@e. Put on 2 meds.. Penicillin... And yup my bones ached... I have arthritis in my neck and other joints too. Any stitches it they seem just that bit more 'stab-y' then a@e is a good place to be to have it checked properly. 🙃 I do hope it is just that but I have to say that with my initial pain I could have explained it away as norm. Take care.
  • Posted

Hi there , i find that a product called Lepicol from Holland and Barratt is really good at keeping things moving normally wether you suffer from constipation or diarrhea,it contains psylium husk and lots of good probiotics aswell and is very gentle on your stomach,it has been a life saver for me,you do need to drink lots of water though as with any high fiber diet or product,try it you wont be disapointed.
  • Posted

Hi there Angelina you can get it from Holland and Barrett in the uk or from Amazon
    • Posted

Oh okay cause I suffered earlier this week with diverticulitis and today I'm recovering thank goodness, but today I have not moved my bowels and I'm sure I'm going to need something to hel me go, I think it's from the medications that I was taking
    • Posted

You do need to take it on a regular basis but its ok for that ,I have used it for over 12 months.
    • Posted

Oh okay thanks so much for this information. I will go on Amazon now and order it. I'll need some relief
    • Posted

I'm on Amazon and there are many, is there a particular one?
    • Posted

My messages keep on getting deleted,Google Lepicol and go the site for lots of info.
    • Posted

Its the one in the green tub,the powder rather than the capsules is the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.