Recently diagnosed with BV. Need advice!?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Long story short, I have had vaginal issues for almost 2 months now. I was diagnosed with BV and I was put on flagyl 500mg twice a day for 7 days. And told to have no sex for two weeks. I took all of medication as prescribed with activia yogurt. And finished them 3 days ago. While on the medication I masterbated clitorially, so there was no  penetration. I hurt however afterwards. Not sure why?

Also my husband and I had only anal sex 3 days after completing the medication. So again no penetration but I think some of his semen ran forward and a little might have entered my vagina. I immediately went to the bathroom and cleaned up with water. And then shortly after that because I was so freaked out I took a shower.

So could I have made the BV worse by masturbating? And by having anal? And could I in turn get an infection rectally from this? 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm not really sure if anal sex or masturbating can trigger a BV infection. However, I do suggest that (if possible) that you abstain from any kind of sex while your vagina heals. Even though you've completed the antibiotic, you have to give you body time to replenish the good bacteria. I'd also suggest that you use condoms in the event that you just can't seem to wait to have sex. Also, was your partner tested? I know that most doctors don't like to test men but it's been said that men can carry the BV bacteria in their urethra. Therefore, if there's precum or if he ejaculates inside of you then it could possibly trigger another infection. If the doctor refuses to test him the just ask for a refill on your prescription & give it to your partner. It won't hurt anything. Good luck! 

• Posted

I also forgot to ask if you know how your infections started?
    • Posted

So my story starts 2 months ago. I was at the end of my cycle and left a tampon in for to long. More than 12 hours but less than 24 hours. Felt a little irritated once I figured out what was going on and used some summers eves wipes and coconut oil and felt fine. A week goes by and I am sitting at work in horrible pain. I think it is  a UTI because I have never had a UTI or yeast infection or BV so it what a pain I have never experienced before. I went to urgent care and my urine came back fine. And they sent me home. Another week goes by and I'm still in pain. So I go se my primary doctor. Again urine comes back fine but then they do a pelvic. And he said everything was completely swollen. They did a swab and have me shot of antibiotics and 4 antibiotics pills to take and said if nothing changes or feels better in 48 hours come back. 72 hours pass and I'm still in pain. So he prescribes me 10 days worth of flagyl and cipro. And says he is treating me for PID/BV. I start taken both as prescribed and notice the cipro is making me super sick so I stopped taking it for a couple of days and felt better. I took a weeks worth of the flagyl and 4 days worth of the cipro by this point. But I know he prescribed both of them for a reason so I start trying to take the cipro again. As soon as i took the cipro I got sick I was up all night. My sides hurt so bad. I had my husband take me to the emergency room. We again they tested my urine and it came back clean. They did a pelvic which was fun because I was on my cycle again. Everything came back clean and negative. They finally did a CT scan and that's when they noticed the inflammation around my kidneys. That's when they did blood work and realized my kidneys where trying to fail. So I was admitted to the hospital and spent a week there on IVs. Being treated for kidney failure and sepsis. I was finally discharged from the hospital with only having to take on antibiotic Ceftin for a uti to continue to help with my kidneys. Because they said everything else had cleared up. I was home for a week and couldn't resist anymore and had to have sex with my husband because it had been a month at this point. Sex felt fine no pain during. But the next day I could tell something was wrong. I scheduled a follow up with my doctor for kidneys and asked him to do a pelvic as well. He said eve looked great no swelling no order and the discharge he saw was the normal amount for a vagina to function properly. A few days go by and my dr calls and says the pelvic came back positive for a yeast infection and BV so they called me out diflucan and a weeks worth of flagyl. Took everything like I said in the previous post.  I'm just concerned that, that little bit of seamen that ran down and came into contact with vigina cause another flair up because i am totally familiar with this pain now. There's no discharge or odor. But it's like a fire type of pain. And my cycle is getting ready to start again. I asked my doctor about my husband having it and they said there is no need to treat him.My husband and I have been together for 11 years and have had unprotected sex for 10 years we have a 7 year old son together. We have never had an issue. I have never had these issues before. And everything I read from other women says BV never goes away some women say they have been battling it for years. I am so scared. I want to be normal again. I want to enjoy my husband. 

• Posted

I'm so sorry hear that you had to go through all of that. Based on your symptoms especially the kidney failure, sounds like you had toxic shock syndrome which is caused by wearing tampons too long. 

• Posted

Maybe you should follow up with your physician for alternative treatments. Sadly, a lot of doctors like to "patch" things with antibiotics instead of trying to provide a permanent solution. 

• Posted

What other solutions are there? How do I stop this from being a constant problem? I am already at my whits end with this. I can not imagine being some of the stories I have read with women dealing with this for years. That's not fair to my husband it's not fair to me.My other worry is if for some chance my husband is carrying some type of infection could I also know have a rectal infection too?

• Posted

So is your only symptom right now the fire type pain that you mentioned or do you have any other symptoms at this time??
    • Posted

No others right now that I can tell. 
  • Posted

Did you take the diflucan before, during or after the last round of Flagyl?
    • Posted

I took one at the beginning and one the day after I stopped the flagyl 
  • Posted

perhaps your yeast infection didn't fully clear up. I know that a fiery/stinging pain is sometimes associated with yeast infections. I typically find that I get quicker/better results with OTC medications for yeast infections  or ask your doctor for another diflucan prescription if you can't deal with the creams. You were on a lot of antibiotics so your good/bacteria is probably still out of wack. If the yeast infection meds don't clear up your symptoms then I'd suggest you have your husband tested as BV can be found in the male's urethra. Although, most doctors won't because they THINK men can't carry BV just tell them that you need a refill & just give them to your partner. In the meantime, I strong I suggest that you abstain (which I know is very hard) or if you absolutely have to have sex then use protection as to not irritate you vagina while it's healing.  

• Posted

I have one more diflucan. Should I take it now or wait until my cycle is over? I plan on scheduling another follow after my cycle and asking for another pelvic exam just make sure everything is better or to see if I need another round of antibiotics
    • Posted

I also have 6 flagyl pills left because the hospital told me to stop taking them when I admitted a few weeks ago. Should I go ahead and take them to?
  • Posted

My first time having BV was from a new partner. I'd never had any types of STI/STDs in my life other than a yeast infection that that was caused after a round of antibiotics. Anywho, when my partner & I stopped using condoms I started feeling weird & that's when I noticed a smell. Because I'm so in tune with my body I googled like a psycho & diagnosed myself with BV, went to the urgent care & they took a sample & it came back positive for BV.  They gave me Flagyl & that cleared it up. Not knowing that my infection was coming my from my partner, I continued having unprotected sex & bam it came back. I started researching & it's very common for men to unknowingly reinfect women. Found this thread & told myself that I refuse to live with BV for the rest of my life. After my last infection (sept 2016) I make him use condoms on every encounter. I must say that I've been BV free for almost a year. PS:  none of the at home remedies worked for me long enough for me to recommend them to someone else. They simply temporarily masked the issue for about 2 days before the odor came back. 

• Posted

Since it's a pill then you can take while your cycle is on. It won't hurt anything. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.