Recently diagnosed with diverticulitis- advice on fybogel and how to not get ill again! :)

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello all smile

I was diagnosed with suspected diverticulitis 10th Feb this year. Had pain like I've never had before all in lower left stomach. Had constipation which I don't get and fever. Pain so bad I couldn't take a deep breath or laugh or walk well or move basically!

Was given 7 days of co-amoxiclav and co codamol, they nearly kept me in hospital.

The pain went only a few days ago and now I only get pain very Occasionally if I take a deep breath.

After much perusal on these boards I decided to try fybogel and 3 billion acidophilus tablets. I started these last Saturday, 3 days ago.

Fybogel overnight made it softer although bulkier but easier to go. However today I am constipated and it's a huge huge strain to try and go. I know I'm not supposed to strain.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I eat a very high fibre diet as I'm on slimming world. Eat tons of fruit and veg and whole grain. So I cannot understand why I have this? I had the pain very mildly occasionally at Christmas so I know its Diverticulitis, plus my mum and dad have had it.

Could it be too much fibre that has caused this? Should I quit the fybogel altogether?? Docs have given me no advice as they're not 100% sure it is diverticulitis as I'm only 31 they say. I'm sure it is.

Or should I carry on taking the fybogel?

I'm much better I just want to do the right thing so I don't get ill again. It was horrendous as you all know.

Sorry this is so long! Thank you in advance smile xx

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Extra bit sorry xx

I'm normally regular as clockwork. I'm only constipated when it flares. So should I not bother with the fybogel?

• Posted

Fybogel is great but not when you have a flaire up . Try to watch your food keep a way from popcorn .seeds. windy veg.etc other wise it sounds like your doing all the right things
  • Posted

Fiber supplements increase your need for water and if you don't get enough extra water, they can be constipating.  Do you think that could be the problem?

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am drinking tons of water a day, a good 6-8 pints. But may not be enough. I think I'll leave the fybogel for now. smile

• Posted

Here is what I was told, I'm at 6 weeks now and feeling almost myself again.Stick to a low fiber diet for a few weeks and lots of water then slowly back to normal diet. No fiber supplements for now to rest the colon and I am taking a probiotic pill once a day to help get the digestive track back to normal.

• Posted

I will do that thank you Linda.

I thought I've done it too soon, the fybogel.

Will go very easy on the fibre. Have had porridge today, silly lol!

• Posted

Suspected Diverticulisis they didnt do a CTScan with dye to confirm it?  It needs to be confirmed on knowing how to treat it. 
    • Posted

No they didn't. They gave me tablets and sent me home. Said I was too young so if it happens again I'll have scan or colonoscopy. Joy x

• Posted

Insist on a CT scan so you know what you are dealing with and how to treat. My doctor ordered one to be done the same day I was in his office and another 4 weeks later to be sure it cleared up.
    • Posted

Hi Linda,

I have an appointment with my doctor in a fortnight so will try. I really don't want a colonoscopy sad still needing lactulose even today and barely any fibre at all. sad

• Posted

You can't get a colonoscopy while you have diverticulitis, it can cause damage to your colon. I have to wait 8 weeks for mine.

• Posted

I have to wait 8 weeks to mine is sceduled for March 22
    • Posted

Hello Katie,don't worry about a colonoscopy,I was so scared,I asked to be sedated,I must say everybody was so kind,and I never felt a thing ! Hope everything goes well for you.🙋🏼

• Posted

Hello Katie,I too have been a member of S.W. but found all that fibre wasn't good for me and gave me constant diarrhoea,so I am on soft food diet to give my colon a rest for a while,I had to leave S.W because I couldn't follow their exact diet,it seems most people have constipation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.