Recently diagnosed with diverticulitis- advice on fybogel and how to not get ill again! :)

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello all smile

I was diagnosed with suspected diverticulitis 10th Feb this year. Had pain like I've never had before all in lower left stomach. Had constipation which I don't get and fever. Pain so bad I couldn't take a deep breath or laugh or walk well or move basically!

Was given 7 days of co-amoxiclav and co codamol, they nearly kept me in hospital.

The pain went only a few days ago and now I only get pain very Occasionally if I take a deep breath.

After much perusal on these boards I decided to try fybogel and 3 billion acidophilus tablets. I started these last Saturday, 3 days ago.

Fybogel overnight made it softer although bulkier but easier to go. However today I am constipated and it's a huge huge strain to try and go. I know I'm not supposed to strain.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I eat a very high fibre diet as I'm on slimming world. Eat tons of fruit and veg and whole grain. So I cannot understand why I have this? I had the pain very mildly occasionally at Christmas so I know its Diverticulitis, plus my mum and dad have had it.

Could it be too much fibre that has caused this? Should I quit the fybogel altogether?? Docs have given me no advice as they're not 100% sure it is diverticulitis as I'm only 31 they say. I'm sure it is.

Or should I carry on taking the fybogel?

I'm much better I just want to do the right thing so I don't get ill again. It was horrendous as you all know.

Sorry this is so long! Thank you in advance smile xx

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi again.

Well,

Back to eating normally although no more bran flakes!!

I am still a bit constipated. Before this all started I was regular as clockwork.

I've been taking dulcoease but it's doing nothing.

Still having occasionally pain when trying to go, I know I shouldn't strain.

So now I'm back on the dreaded lactulose. I just don't know what to do for the best? When will this constipation end?? It went for a few days and now I can go a few times a day but sometimes it's a real strain.

Haven't got a doctors app till next week. It'll be 3 weeks today this started. Am I just asking too much??

Thanks for any advice guys xxxx

• Posted

Unfortunately it does take a while, my episode was 5 weeks from start to finish. I am drinking more water and taking a probiotic daily which my doctor recommened to help digestive tract get healthy again. If I am constipated I take a stool softener for a day or 2 and that helps. I am back to my normal diet but not eating nuts, whole seeds, corn or raw vegetables for now.
    • Posted

Hello Linda, smile

Thanks for your reply.

Can I ask what stool softener you use?

I just worry there's something wrong as I'm still constipated.

I've had two weeks of acidophilus tablets now. I might try the aloe Vera juice xx

• Posted

Is nutbutters okay? I been eating organic almond butter on bread ? When you all say nuts do you mean the actual nut itself? 
    • Posted

I would keep taking the acidophilus. I just buy the generic brand of stool softener.
    • Posted

Hi Katie

I too am a Slimming World Diverticular Disease sufferer.  I actually got in touch with Slimming World and asked.  This is the bit of their reply  that might help, and any other SW sufferers.

"When you’re managing an attack of your diverticular disease it’s important to continue to follow any advice you’ve received from your healthcare team. We understand from your email you need to follow a low fibre diet during these times. We have some information around low fibre diets which you may find useful with adapting Food Optimising to help keep the plan flexible for you.

Although it requires a little more thought, especially around the Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice, achieving a low-fibre diet when Food Optimising is possible. The Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice is included within the plan to support members with getting a healthy amount of fibre each day and contributing towards the recommended intake of 30g fibre daily. As you’ve been advised to follow a low-fibre diet, you may want to avoid these fibre-rich choices, but there are steps you can take to make sure that you don’t feel limited within the plan, or are denied choices. For instance, you can have the same measure of a low-fibre Healthy Extra alternative such as low-fibre (ie white) bread or a low-fibre cereal (e.g. cornflakes or rice crispies).

However, it’s important to be aware that:

•             These low-fibre options are not as filling and don’t have the same health benefits as the high-fibre Healthy Extras.

•             To protect your weight loss it’s important to stick to the same measure as a standard Healthy Extra.

•             It’s up to you whether you want to choose to have these every day or at all – the aim is just to give more flexibility.

Fruit and vegetables also need to be considered when following a low-fibre diet. Removing the skin or peel is one way to reduce the fibre in fruit and vegetables, as this is where most of the fibre is. Cooking fruit and vegetables will also make the remaining fibre easier to digest. Cooked fruit isn’t Free within the plan because it loses its filling power and becomes much easier to overeat. However, as long as you are consuming the fruit in the same proportions as if you were eating whole, uncooked fruit (eg one apple at a time), it is fine for you to do this without counting it as Syns, if this is the only way you can tolerate fruit. Cooked fruit as a snack is still far better than chocolate or crisps.

We hope this general information is useful to you. We are unable to give specific advice on individual medical conditions and we always recommend that members discuss their medical and any dietary needs with their Doctor or Dietitian. Should they suggest any specific dietary requirements this should be able to be easily incorporated into Food Optimising."

In other words you don't need to stick religiously to the plan, although it may slow down your weight loss.  Or if you are stuck on the loo all day, that might not be the problem!!  I always drink more water after the runs, to prevent dehydration and constipation.

I use Fybogel every morning as a stool softener, plus occasionally in the evening if I don't think I'm emptying properly.  A couple of times a month I have resorted to good old fashioned Ex-Lax (don't know the SYN value!! lol)

So I'm sticking with SW as I need to lose several stone.  I wonder if sufferers who have lost weight and kept it off have found their symptoms and flares reduced - can't recall seeing any comments about that.

• Edited

Hello Felinia!

Thank you so so much for your helpful reply!

I've lost nearly 4 stone with slimming world and have 2 to lose. My diverticulitis journey started over Christmas when I was eating Bran flakes every day and at least 2 hifi bars a day too.

I'm wondering if too much fibre has done this too me? Since this whole ordeal started I've only lost 2lbs which is unbelievable really.

I never had this problem when I was fat and ate like crap lol! Xx

• Posted

Have you ever gone a couple of days and no bowel movement?
    • Posted

No never.

I didn't go the day it was the worst, when I started the antibiotics. Then I was going at least once a day but it's really hard work. Tmi I'm sorry! Xx

• Posted

I know what you mean!!!!  At least it tells me that losing weight is not going to help my DD either!!!!!  I'm struggling to lose as well since I can't have the recommended healthy b). 

Incidentally if you were having both Bran Flakes and Hi-Fi, that's two healthy b) per day (I hope you counted one set as SYNs), so it could be too much for your inner workings in their current state.

• Posted

Hi, Yes I obviously syn'd The hi fis. wink

I had weigh in this morning and half lost 1.5lb in last two weeks. Which is better than a gain anywho xx

• Posted

Hi all,

Just spouting off again.

Had a meal (bland, rice etc) and immediately started getting pain lower left side especially breathing in.

Oh and sometime I've had pain after having a bowel movement.

Joy.

Back to the docs on Thursday. Looks like I've got diverticula disease from the info on this website. I'm 31, I can't live the rest of my life like this?! I think with me it's amount of food rather than which food.

Meh xxxx

• Posted

Have them to do ct scan with contrast so you know for sure
  • Posted

Personally I can't stomach the stuff.  I recently saw a gastro consultant, and he told me to take magnesium to keep the stools soft - I also have a 10cm stricture.  I'm awaiting a sigmoidoscopy within the next couple of weeks, before he decides a plan of action.  I was so ill over Christmas, I thought I was dying, and never want to feel that ill again!

• Posted

How much magnesium did he say take a day that fiber drinks tear me up too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.