Recently diagnosed with diverticulitis- advice on fybogel and how to not get ill again! :)

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello all smile

I was diagnosed with suspected diverticulitis 10th Feb this year. Had pain like I've never had before all in lower left stomach. Had constipation which I don't get and fever. Pain so bad I couldn't take a deep breath or laugh or walk well or move basically!

Was given 7 days of co-amoxiclav and co codamol, they nearly kept me in hospital.

The pain went only a few days ago and now I only get pain very Occasionally if I take a deep breath.

After much perusal on these boards I decided to try fybogel and 3 billion acidophilus tablets. I started these last Saturday, 3 days ago.

Fybogel overnight made it softer although bulkier but easier to go. However today I am constipated and it's a huge huge strain to try and go. I know I'm not supposed to strain.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I eat a very high fibre diet as I'm on slimming world. Eat tons of fruit and veg and whole grain. So I cannot understand why I have this? I had the pain very mildly occasionally at Christmas so I know its Diverticulitis, plus my mum and dad have had it.

Could it be too much fibre that has caused this? Should I quit the fybogel altogether?? Docs have given me no advice as they're not 100% sure it is diverticulitis as I'm only 31 they say. I'm sure it is.

Or should I carry on taking the fybogel?

I'm much better I just want to do the right thing so I don't get ill again. It was horrendous as you all know.

Sorry this is so long! Thank you in advance smile xx

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I'm joining in these discussions as I have one very poorly husband (70 years) who was diagnosed with Diverticulitis after visiting A&E twice over the last week. He's on antibiotics and co-codamol 30/500 mg. The pain keeps coming and going. One day he's OK and next it's back again. But, my real question is can you take Fybogel as he is very constipated and I think this is making it worse as he never suffers with this usually. I'm going to try to get Drs appointment tomorrow for a follow up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Katie i have divicular problems but dr told me to use Fybogel Citrus flavour . He explained that fybogel took water out of bowel and that dried 'bobbles' so they were able to plop out of hole . I took trouble to join Patient to tell you this as no other dr. has explained exactly how it works. He drew diagram which made it clearer which i cant do here . I take one every second day now . At first its not easy but gets easier and you will be surprised at amount of 'bobbles' in pan. Citrus flavour is best for some reason. I really hope this helps cimage

• Posted

Hi Katie i have divicular problems but dr told me to use Fybogel Citrus flavour . He explained that fybogel took water out of bowel and that dried 'bobbles' so they were able to plop out of hole . I took trouble to join Patient to tell you this as no other dr. has explained exactly how it works. He drew diagram which made it clearer which i cant do here . I take one every second day now . At first its not easy but gets easier and you will be surprised at amount of 'bobbles' in pan. Citrus flavour is best for some reason. I really hope this helps cimage

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis and ibs, i have constant diarrhoea every morning and I have been prescribed fybogel but I'm concerned that this being a laxative would it make it worse.

Any advice would be appreciated please.

Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.