Recently had a DG-HAL hemorrhoid surgery, need some help and advice

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm 25 years old and had been living with stage II internal hemorrhoids for about 4 years now, and with a prolapsed thrombosis from one for about six months. It got seriously painful about three weeks ago and I couldn't sit down or do regular daily activites anymore. So I decided to visit a private clinic where they suggested the DG-HAL surgical procedure saying it was "non-invasive" and that they would surgically remove the thrombosis aswell. Fast forward, I had the procedure done this Wednesday and they said "Oh yeah it's a fast recovery, we do it on Wednesdays and Thursdays so that people can get back to their jobs by Monday"..so here I am, Sunday 4.45 A.M., haven't slept since the surgery, and I just don't feel like stuff is healing. I have no appetite but am forcing myself to eat more small meals and drink plenty of water and fiber and oil supplements to make the BM pass better. So my concerns are the following: it's already the fourth day and i feel more pain, and have the feeling like by bowels are full and trying to rip out of my torso. I'm taking antibiotics aswell as ketobrufen painkillers every 6 hours or so because It's just to unbearable. I have the urge to visit the toilet very frequently but when I try to push something out only small traces come out (it is soft and without blood though). It hurts like hell after I pass gas or a BM, the cut out thromb takes up most of the pain. When I try to go to sleep, as soon as I begin to doze off a spasm contracts in my rectum and the thromb starts hurting like hell and it wakes me up. They say the method takes about 3-4 days to recovery, but as you can see I call baloney on that. So if anyone has had a similar experience can you tell me if this is normal and if it isn't what should I do about it? I have a writtwn exam on Monday and I want to be functional to take it. Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I had this 9 days ago in Melbourne Australia.       Pain was as expected, controlled by Nurofen and 3 tramadol on the second day ... I stopped the Tramadol as they made me vomit

I ain't feeling good.   I have no appetite, going to the toilet every 30 mins to an hour and feeling mildly nauseous.   Everytime I go to the toilet I get a little more tired and a little more nauseous .. by the end of the day Im wrecked.   Food tastes funny when I do force myself to have a mouthful and everything smells stronger.

When I wipe on the toilet paper its a weird smell ... kind of an off medical smell .. does anyone else have this ?

Not sure if this is all normal, I have one more chance to get into my local GP today before 4 days of being closed for Xmas break.   My concern is that maybe there is an infection.   It certainly might be a difficult trip into to see her today though.    

I also have IBS and IBD so worried that might complicate things.

Does that all sound normal for day 9 and should I panic or sit it out (actually I cant sit ... lay it out).

• Posted

Hi there, sorry it must seem like a lifetime ago now but just wanted to ask how you were in the end. I'm day 5 after my HALO procedure and I feel like I'm dying. Exactly the same symptoms as you have described and haven't had a BM yet so double dreading that! Any reassurance would be greatly received. And importantly hope you are completely recovered!

• Posted

Hi Kate

i was in agony for 3 weeks, after that it started to ease off. i am so much better now, but to be honest I don't think i would have that op again! hope you start to feel better soon x

• Posted

Oh dear and there I was thinking that I might be coming to the end of this crippling pain! I fear I now have bad constipation which is agony. Can I ask were you given laxatives or anything before your op, can't help but wonder if that might have helped?

Glad you are better now, despite such a tough time

• Posted

HI Kate

before op i was given enema.

painkillers will stop you going to toilet properly, best to have warm baths, go to chemist and try get a cream that will ease pain.

i was taking so many painkillers it gave me stomach ache as well. drink plenty of fluids,.

Your pain may not last as long, if its so bad get in touch with your doctor. Don't strain when you go to toilet that will do more harm then good!

• Posted

I do wonder why I wasn't given anything before hand and why I was given codeine as painkillers as they are known to cause constipation.

How long did you have the urge to go to the loo after the op, at the moment the BM seem to have cleared but the pressure and sensation of needing the loo is very intense

• Posted

Hi i had my HAL 2 weeks back. BM's have been very painful. Had to poo atleast 4 times a day. how long will this last? when can i hope for complete recovery? pls help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.