Recovering from pnuemonia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all, I caught a fairly serious case of Pneumonia in December and was absolutely out for the count for three weeks. I had to spend some time in the hospital once it got to a point where my throat was so swollen from the coughing combined with the pnuemonia meant I couldn't breathe.

Fast forward six weeks and i'm still not fully recovered although I am feeling a lot better.

The blood streaks in the phlegm have gone and I only cough extensively in the morning and night.

But the reason I'm here is because I'm a little concerned about the mild return of chest pain.

It was really bad for three to four weeks with the doctor's believing it was pleurisy and possible pericarditis.

But I took their advice, rest, anti inflammatory medicine and it's gone away enough to the point I thought it was gone.

However, the last few days there have still be random spikes of pain there, usually in the morning.

I'm turning 38 in a few weeks and although I will go back to a doctor if it gets worse again, I'm just curious if these recovery sounds normal.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi Katie,

if you don't mind how did you get with this? my husband has just had a severe pneumonia but describing the same things you have said its been three weeks but still getting niggles they did say it affect the nerves and the pleura because of where it was right upper.

are the twinges of pain to be expected during recovery?

any reply or info appreciated thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.