Recovering from urethral sling

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I had bladder prolapse surgery dec 5 of last yr then I fell in feb and started having issues with urethral prolapse.I had sling surgery done a week ago,Im still having allt of abdominal pain,groin pain and now terrible lower back pain.CT SCAN done today everything looks fine.Anyone else have this surgery done that can let me know if this much pain is normal?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Do you both think the hysterectomies played a big role in your issues? I had mine at age 28.Im 47 right now.Im so sorry to hear about all the complications you have had to deal with.I have had the same urologist for 16 yrs,I trust her 100% which certainly helps matters.I live in Michigan and I took a bad fall on the ice after my first surgery that has possibly contributed to some of my problems

• Posted

No.i.dont hun as i had my anterior r epair done first then needed hysterectomy 2 years later when my womb came down.

It can cause prolapse but for me it was other way round.

I feel my back wall was like this after first repair but dudnt think.it at the time.x

• Posted

I think a hysterectomy does contribute to prolapse yes, theres nothing to hold everything up. But I had a bad delivery years ago with my first child, a forceps delivery can also make a prolapse more likely. Im seeing a different gynae to the one who did my prolapse repair, the original one gave me no advice at all, I got most of my advice on this forum.

• Posted

These forums are great!!!! I Cant thank you both enough for responding.No one I know has gone through any of this,so its just nice to be able to speak to someone that gets it! I got no relief whatsover from my cystocele surgery and due to starting a new job and switching health ins I went a yr with a huge bulge in my vagina.The pain and pressure was almost unbearable towards the end.Also thankfully my husband is amazing because there was no way we could even have sex in that yr,the prolapse was so bad

• Posted

Yes these forums are great but as lobg as you get a fi nal answer from your consultant.. We are all so.different and wh at works for one won't work for another,and s ame for outvomes of surgery too.

My.mum.had a hysterectomy at age 39 then took hrt for 25 yrs. She suffered with no prolapse and no isdues with the hrt and risks associated with tsking it for so long.

Goes to.show how even genes can be different. I had my first anterior 2 yrs ago and t hat didn't hold f or long,within the 2 yrs my uterus wad on its w ay down too hense why it w as be st to remove it.

Take care x

• Posted

yes it is great to be able to talk freely about such personal issues, you can talk about anything on here and there will usually be someone else who's had the same or a similar issue. if nothing else you get reassurance when you aren't sure if its normal to feel a certain way. Families can't and don't really understand the levels of pain we go through after these surgeries, how can they? my husband is great too, and helps as much as he can, but at times I feel its not fair hes got stuck with a wife that is in constant pain, and can't do what we want to as a couple. I don't moan and apart from my daughter don't go into detail about stuff, then people think you're fine, when you're really not. you cant win.

• Posted

yes Laura!!!! that is exactly right! I also have spent most of our married life in some sort of pain.First it was terrible endometriosis,then it was Interstitial Cystits which is a nightmare too.Just like you I carry on and suffer mostly in pain.I work a FT job,my children are grown now but I have an almost 2 yr old granddaughter who I watch on my days off.Life goes on but its nice to be able to vent who people who get it.One of my dearest friends I met on an IC forum.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I had my 2 wk follow up today.Dr was kind of surprised at the amount if bruising I still have.She said everything looks good,just healing still so theres still swelling.So,I guess I need to not expect too much too soon.Hope you are hanging in there!

• Posted

Hi Angel

Gosh 2 weeks.is nothing hun. You have at least a month before you feel more yourself.

Have patience and rest and you will be very surprised how you feel.

Your stitches take around 6 wksto heal and ibternal up to 12 mths.x

• Posted

Hi, hope you're not too sore after yesterday. Like welshgirl says, two weeks is very early in recovery, you need to continue to take things very easy and rest as much as possible.

I have a hospital appointment tomorrow, not looking forward to it at all.

• Posted

Thank you so much!! Thats exactly what my Dr said! I appreciate all your feedback

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Def a bit sore after exam ystday but also very relieved to hear that everything looks good.I will def continue doing what Im doing(nothing lol)She gave me some diff pain med and it helped me sleep much better last night.Please let us know how your appt goes!!! Take care

• Posted

Sorry, just looked, Michigan, should have remembered, my aunt and uncle lived there.

• Posted

So,you are in the UK? best of luck to you! Please let me know how it goes

• Posted

Hi, it was at a vulval clinic, gynae and dermatology consultants. I have been diagnosed with Lichen Planus, which was suspected anyway, I am so sore. Super strong steroid ointment to get it under control.

• Posted

So sorry to hear that,I looked it up and it looks painful.Just what you needed huh? I hope the ointment helps you.Hang in there as best as you can,if you ever need to vent.....Im here xoxo

• Posted

thankyou. you have your own problems, vice versa, I'm here too. Keep on taking it easy, youve a long way to go yet.x.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Just wanted to update you.Had my 6 wk check up(few days early)things are looking pretty good.My bladder has fallen very slightly,nothing to be concerned about Dr says.I will be returning to work Tues.How are you feeling? Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.