Recovery advice please

Posted , 6 users are following.

12 days since A&P prolaspe surgery, can anyone help with advice on what I should be doing to help my recovery, I have peiced together what I should not be doing thanks to this marvellous site, but keep reading about walking daily, as the only advice I receive on discharge from hospital was don't lift anything heavy and follow physio's advice any help on this would be really helpful.

i dint want to do the wrong thing and end up back where I started.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi kay I'm 2 week post op p@a repair, I'm just being careful at the min my husband has been amazing washing ironing cooking ect looking after kids , but I must say i get frustrated and I try little things but then I suffer , recovering so far not been too bad I find I'm bathing 2/3 times day , I have this strong odour and discharge apparently it's normal ? And past 2 days I've noticed some fresh blood , but I must say I don't regret the operation cos I have noticed a massive difference, of u can do noyhing
    • Posted

Hi Joan, thank you for your reply, like you I am trying to take it easy, big mistake on Thursday was convincing myself that I could quite easily get the evening tea in the slow cooker as there was no lifting involved, but of course this turned into me then washing a few things up and wiping down worktops,needless to say I suffered later in the day.

My main thing at the moment is not really knowing what I should be doing as people keep talking about going for walks and increasing the length of walks they are doing,should I be trying to walk around more than I am at the moment? If so how far and for how long? Were you given any advice on this as I known wasn't.

• Posted

I wasn't given any advice kay this forum has told me everything I need to know , the help advice and support from everyone and how much I can relate to many women , all I was told was don't forget u av had a major op .
  • Posted

Hi Kay, I am coming up to 4 weeks post op anterior and posterior repair and bladder sling. I have found that if you try and do more one day and your body tells you it's too much you have to rest all day. Keep smiling as I found I got very tearful sometimes as frustration set in because I felt I should be able to do more. This discussion website has kept me going so try and have friends over, keep busy by reading books or some crafts. Its good to walk but only if you feel well enough. I am finding out a lot about how the body tells you what to do. I did too much yesterday, at the time I did'nt think so eg putting a full bin of rubbish in the dustbin, felt a bit of a pull yesterday, did not think much at the time but have had to rest all day today. 

You are right about the lack of support from the post op advice but you have all of us to advise 24 hours a day cos there are people around the world to chat to.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Exactly jane I know I'm only 2 weeks post op but I know if I've done too much and it's only a little , but got to admit yesterday my husband went shopping and I saw the ironing and I sat and did the kids uniform and my god I knew abt it I never sed a word but my husband kept asking me if all was ok he thot he did something wrong , then this morning he realised I did some iron he went mad and to me her getting a sitter for me
    • Posted

Hi Jane, thank you for your reply yes thank you your reply did help as it makes you realise your not on your own, I have found myself getting quite tearful over the last couple of days especially when my wonderful husband is trying his best to do all the things I usually do and it hard not to say just leave and I will do it.

I do think it the lack of infirm action given out post op that's the main problem as you get worried about doing the wrong thing and ending up back where you started.

I was given a six week sick note but after reading many of the post on this site I realise I may be off work for a bit longer than that as recovery does seem to take a while longer than I thought.

• Posted

Yes, I know what you mean. My doctor gave me a sick note until early November on the day I had my op in September but my consultants appt is not until December so I have asked for an extension on the sick note. I do not think it is a good idea to go back to work until fully checked out. At the moment I could not do a full day at work as I sleep most afternoons. 
  • Posted

Yes, I did a similar think. I hovvered the house, trying to help my husband and to keep think

gs clean, but maybe not a good idea. My husband does a lot am now having arguments with him about walking the dog. He wont let me hold the lead! I feel like a child. But I know he is right but it is frustrating.

• Posted

Yes feeling like a child u hit the nail on the head , but they r right
    • Posted

At least we have all these lovely ladies to chat to especially when we feel we cannot share with the partner.
    • Posted

At least we can talk and ask for advice without getting embarrassed cos we know we all gone thru the same
    • Posted

I find it so helpful to talk to ladies who have had the same op done so they really do know what you mean.

• Posted

Ru using laxatives, if so how many a day? I am taking two laxulose and it semms about right, do you know if we have to take this badly tasting stuff forever? 
    • Posted

I don't take anything and I've been absolutely fine couldn't go for 4 days and took laxido from my doc but only took it 2 days
    • Posted

Luckily enough I have been good in that respect, once I'd managed to go in hospital I have been OK mind you I make sure I have my Shreddies every morning and a fresh fruit salad and yogurt thanks to my husband at lunch time as that is one thing that does worry me, I have however been suffering from a far amount of wind which is quite uncomfortable.
    • Posted

I am still in pain when going so it helps to have a soft movement, but when I have the urge to go I must go immediately, dash to the loo and then the pain is gone. Do you have the same problem?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.