Recovery advice please

Posted , 6 users are following.

12 days since A&P prolaspe surgery, can anyone help with advice on what I should be doing to help my recovery, I have peiced together what I should not be doing thanks to this marvellous site, but keep reading about walking daily, as the only advice I receive on discharge from hospital was don't lift anything heavy and follow physio's advice any help on this would be really helpful.

i dint want to do the wrong thing and end up back where I started.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kay,

I did absolutely nothing for the first 10 days post-surgery as per surgeon's instructions.  For the next two days, I walked around the house for as long as I wasn't uncomfortable.  At day 12, I went outside for the first time, went up my laneway which is a hill (about 100 feet straight up!) and came back down.  The next day, I got up the laneway and to my next door neighbour - 200 feet away and back.  By the end of 3 weeks, I was walking a little further each day - always remembering I had to get back.  My surgeon told me that walking - even slowly around the house - strengthened all your muscles and helped in recovery.  I had the usual constipation, leaking and fatigue I think most (but not all people) get post surgery.  I also had a blood clot from the bladder resection which they did at the same time as the hysterectomy and anterior and posterior repairs.  That too is gone and I have been totally fine.  I was not allowed to lift anything over 10 lbs for 6 weeks and followed that rule to the letter.  And no housework or even cooking - just walking.  It helped my morale to be moving and I don't know if it helped in my recovery but my surgery was July 3rd and other than that scare with the blood clot, I have been totally fine since then. I have gone back to my normal diet and level of activity - which is heavy.  I am 71 years old.  I returned to my desk job after 4 weeks with no lifting or heavy work.  I do valet parking which involves walking but that was no problem.  Also different for me here in Canada, I was told NOT to do Kegel or pelvic floor exercises for 6 weeks as this could aggravate any possible problems.  At the 6 weeks check-up, I was told to start doing the Kegel exercises at least 5 times a day but never while voiding.  I was told not to try to stop and start peeing until at least six months.  And no pelvic floor exercises in my case.  Total healing will take one year.  I think we are all different though and I would check with my surgeon.  But if you were told to walk by your surgeon, I would encourage you to do so.

All to say, you asked for advice to help in your recovery.  This seems to be very different from country to country but 12 days is very early days anywhere in the world and I am just passing on the instructions given to me which certainly didn't seem to do any harm.

Hope this helps.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Nickie

• Posted

Hi Nickie, 

Thank you that's great advice, tomorrow it will have been 2 weeks since my op, I have been walking a little around the house, so I think I will start to try walking out in the garden, weather permitting a bit each day. 

I like you was told by my consultant to wait 6 weeks before starting my pelvic floor excercises and my post op check has been arrange for 6 weeks to the day from my hospital discharge. 

Luckily I have a very good husband who is doing all the cooking and housework even makes my breakfast and lunch before he leaves for work, so hopefully everything will be fine for me as well. 

Not sure when I will be able to return to work but certainly won't be going back before I'm ready.

I think boardom is one of the biggest things at the moment as there is only so much day time TV you can manage and even reading becomes tiresome after a while, but I'm sure I will overcome that hurdle once I start moving around a little bit more.

I have my granddaughters christening coming up on the 1st November, so that's something to look forward to with a little bit of apprehension to be honest as I'm hopeful I will feel ok on the day but as long as I'm not on my feet for too long hopefully I will be fine.

• Posted

Hi Kay, I am 4 weeks post op. Please Please do not do too much too early. I have had 2 incidents when I have lifted things that are too heavy or walked more than i should and it has taken me 2 days to recover from each one so please don't do too much. Today i walked too far and felt like my prolapse had come back. At home I had a look with the aide of a mirror and torch and the swelling went down when I sat down again. I think the boredom that you spoke of is frustrating and day time TV is boring. A book always helps or even write those christmas cards early! I also do not know when I will be returing to work but as the saying goes your health and family are the most important things NOT work! 
  • Posted

I am maiking all my christmas cards, covering chocolate bars to look like snowmen and making a quilt so don't dispair there is a life after the op I am sure.
  • Posted

Hi I will be two weeks post op for laporoscopic assisted vaginal hyster and bk wall repair!i have been walking a little further each day!yesterday I started losing a little blood which has panicked me!so feet up for me today after ive had my dressings changed at docs!i am in East Sussex and have been told very little!!other than to start small pelvic floor exercises by the physio!!ive also been told not to have a bath for 4weeks!but other than that not really a lot !xx
    • Posted

Hi Alison, reading though the post on this site the lack of advice about post op care seems to be a normal thing mores the pity, but having read a lot of the old post on this site has really helped me, I am now doing very little and putting my feet up as much as possible, which to be honest I have found quite hard as normally dashing around at a 100 miles an hour, I have read one post about boardom and the lady surguessed adult colouring books, so I am going on Amazon and a few minutes and ordering one of them and pencils, I will give anything a try if it means I don't have to watch anymore daytime TV.

i think I did a little too much yesterday and was quite sore last night, so today is a do next to nothing day for me, I also have a strange sharpe feeling but I think that's the stitches tightening up, as it's not really painful I have just taken my paracetamol and made a peppermint tea.

keep reading the site as the advice you get from all these lovely ladies is great and it does make you feel that your not on your own.

• Posted

Your feelings are just the same as mine. I have also done too much yesterday and have had to sit down on the sofa. This op takes so much time to heal! I trying to do some patchwork and am now watching the builders opposite building a new house- not hot enough though!!!! 

My stitches are also tightening up, feels wierd.

• Posted

I've just been on Amazon and ordered a colouring book and pencils, at least give me something else to do other than watch the telly.

Ive been drinking peppermint tea yesterday and today and it does seem to help with the wind I've been suffering.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.