Recovery after a varicocele embolization

Posted , 33 users are following.

I had a bilateral VE 2 weeks ago. It went well but I am still having a lot of testes discomfort (they hurt to the touch)and my bag of worms on the left testicle has not improved. I was wondering what the recovery has been like for other guys who have had this procedure. Am I expecting good things too quickly? How can you tell if it has in fact worked? Thank you. Howard

3 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Everybody, how is it going now on a longer time?

I'm interested to know how everybody is doing after this tough beginning...

I had embolization yesterday.

Best Regards,

Gary

• Posted

Hi Gary, I'm doing great. How is your recovery going?

• Posted

Hi Tom! Thanks!

I think it's too early to know... it was only a few days ago. I'm taking it easy.

So far I have a strange big belly, but I'm taking it easy and I'll stop taking the painkillers cause the might be the reason of this strange side effect....

• Posted

Hi garyword, Has the embolization worked, any side effects from the metal coils? I've opted for the surgery method instead of embolization with coils, I understand surgery has a higher success rate for right sided varicoceles.

• Posted

Hi We, at the moment it's too early to speak I guess, it was only one week ago. I had some side effects from the painkiller they gave me so I stopped it. I can tell you more in the next weeks. And how are you? Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks garyword, all the best to you, keep us updated. 😃

• Posted

How is it going bro ? I had VE procedure done today . please share your experience.

• Posted

Hi We5t! Getting back to you after a whiIe I had my VE with coils in January. I had very intense side effects right after my belly was inflated and I had adbominal pain, very difficult to wear jeans with a belt. Now, a few months later, the tests seem fine, not perfect but fine, but this abdominal swelling and pain is back. I have no clue why....

• Posted

Hi Manish! Getting back to you after a whiIe I had my VE with coils in January. I had very intense side effects right after my belly was inflated and I had adbominal pain, very difficult to wear jeans with a belt. Now, a few months later, the tests seem fine, not perfect but fine, but this abdominal swelling and pain is back. I have no clue why. How are you doing?

• Edited

Hi - Had this procedure carried out 4 days ago and must say very little pain has been experienced. The only thing I do have is a tenderness when walking. Hard to describe but a bit like an aching muscle after overdoing it on the weights at the gym. It can also feel a little strange when sleeping on my side. It's still early so hoping this will pass in time.

• Edited

Hello guys, I had embolisation 5 days ago. It was a grade 3 varicocele on my left side. The procedure was honestly fine and the aching since has been fairly minimal - but I do feel it sometimes. I am abstaining from masturbating and the gym for the next week. Will keep everyone updated.

From everyone's experience that has had the procedure, is sex/masturbation painful? For those that have had the relapse of the varicocele after the procedure, do you think there's any reason why it relapsed? Thanks

• Edited

I should also add that the main reason I had the procedure was not for the pain but because I did a sperm test which said I had a low count. Providing that in 3 months the varicocele has not come back I will do another test and see if it improves.

• Edited

Hi All,

I just had my VE this morning, they ended up going in through the jugular at the neck as it’s supposed to be an easier route and quicker to heal.

Was all very painless, barely felt a thing! So anyone reading do not be worried about any pain, I casually chatted to the Radiologist throughout the whole thing. Ended up being only 1 vein that needed blocking and he used 2 coils, the second coil he wasn’t overly happy with as he thinks it could how unwound better, but this was just a aesthetic thing he would have liked to see on the imaging. It did the job.

Arrived at the hospital at 8:30am and was discharged by 11:00am! Very easy smooth experience.

Will update in a few weeks times once/if I start noticing any changes. Apparently I should be back to normal routine in 48hours.

• Edited

Great to hear - went just like mine 3 years ago. Mine was also through the neck jugular vein. I had a sore neck for about a week but no problem after that. Let us know how it helps with scrotal pain. Howard

• Edited

Hi buddy, i didnt really have any pain before just discomfort when trying to sleep. Since the operation, I rested from the Wednesday to the Sunday. My consultant said I was fine to return to training.

Was back in the gym bodybuilding and a bit of CrossFit on the Monday with no issues. By the end of the week I was back to my normal self.

I tested my Testosterone 3 weeks after the operation, it has increased by 25%. Before the op I had readings of 12.1 & 14.3 nmol/l. It is now at 18nmol/l and it’s only been 3 weeks!

No issues my end. So far it’s going well and I’d recommend no one be scared of having it done. I have NO dull aches, side pain, back pain.

• Edited

bro , i had bilateral VE on 6th of march . there is not much pain but little discomfort in groin and back . is it normal ? for how many days this pain lasts?

• Edited

Give it 2-3 weeks it will settle. Rest up for the first week.

• Edited

bro , did u experienced the same , i mean the pain in abdomen especially on sides and on back ? Also my 1st surgery was a failure . I am feeling very bad .

• Edited

No not personally but I know someone who had it and had the same as you and it took two weeks to settle. He was told it was because the blood was finding new routes. You could also have some inflammation from the catheter which I believe can take some time to settle. Try taking anti inflammatories. I had mine after my surgery failed too and it worked great so hopefully you will be the same. My advice would be to try not to focus too much on it and do things to take your mind of it. I know how tough having a varicocle is both mentally and physically. If you are really worried though get in contact with the radiologist and they should be able to give more advice. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

hi luke how much does surgery cost? and where did yoy have it donee?

• Edited

It was free on the NHS, and I had it done at RD&E hospital in Exeter, UK

• Posted

oh okay cool do you know if varicocele is the cause of sagging? my pain isnt too bad just sort of like a dull ache but they sag like most of the time intake it because theyre so hot from the blood? i find this emvarrassing

• Posted

and if so does sagging go away after surgery and was the testosterone test free also?

• Edited

So unless you have a varicocele on both sides, which is pretty rare as it’s usual the left. 1 side should sag more then the other. For me, the sagging wasn’t due to heat, but due to the weight of the veins, you could make out the clumpy veins in my left testicle just by looking, hence it looked like it was ‘sagging’.

The veins are still slightly inflamed as it will take a few years for them to reduce, but it is much much better then before, but still slightly visible.

I never got much discomfort, just annoying when I was trying to sleep at night.

The testosterone test, I paid for myself as I have an interest in this myself for sport.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.