Recovery after a varicocele embolization

Posted , 33 users are following.

I had a bilateral VE 2 weeks ago. It went well but I am still having a lot of testes discomfort (they hurt to the touch)and my bag of worms on the left testicle has not improved. I was wondering what the recovery has been like for other guys who have had this procedure. Am I expecting good things too quickly? How can you tell if it has in fact worked? Thank you. Howard

3 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hey, truly appreciate all the feedback I've been reading from this discussion. I've been reading many negative reviews from Varicocele Embolizations & its really re-assuring to read these positive experiences too. I've been debating on doing Surgery vs this embolization. After seeing my Urologist, he suggested that maybe I should look into doing a embolization because I have added risk being so lean & it may be more risky not having more body fat to cushion against my organs. I've also spoken to my radiologist & have been seriously considering doing this embolization instead of surgery. After doing 2 ultrasounds, apparently I have a grade 2 (even though I think it looks more like grade 3) with some definite aching & I feel its been affecting my testosterone levels (Total testosterone: 489ng/dl & Free testosterone: 60pg/ml. Im in my 30s). I would really like to hear more updates as this forum hasn't been updated in 6 weeks. How's everybody doing after their VE procedure? Can anyone please re-assure me of their experiences as I've been reading a lot more negative reviews than positive. I definitely plan to keep everyone updated with my outcome as there doesn't seem to be too much reviews online. Thanks again!

• Edited

Hi Tony,

So it’s been 10 weeks now since I had mine, and I have had no issues what so ever. I too am very lean and athletic, had the emobilization and have had 0 issues with pain or anything. I even went back to training heavy after 5 days.

As I said in my previous post, my testosterone has gone up, although I haven’t paid to have it checked again yet.

My opinion is that all these horrible stories you read online are from either really unfortunate people, or these people have some sort of health anxiety. Not enough people write up success stories, and why would they? Since having it done I’ve gone back to normal life and never thought about it! I only reply to this as I get an email when people comment and I know how worried I was.

My opinion is get it done, you won’t regret it. You’ve got this far to get it checked out etc, and if you don’t get it done, you’ll always be thinking about it!

• Posted

Hi Tony - The VE procedure is certainly a good procedure but before you get it done check out an online blog by googling against varicocele embolization. The potential problem is that the coils used in the procedure can attach themselves to nerve fiber bundles over the years after the procedure which can lead to debilitating chronic nerve pain. There is now a new industry around removing the coils to relieve the pain.

There are VE procedures done in Europe mainly by IRs who do not use coils and they have had a good track record in no pain later on. But you have to get an IR who has done a lot of them. In my case, I used an IR who had no experience in VE w/o coils. My right side varicocele was fixed ok but the left side had some sclerosant get into the testicle which has left me with chronic scrotal that is far worse than the original varicocele!

The other option is to use a urologist who will just cut the spermatic veins that emanate from the testicle. But there is a high rate of recurrence of the varicocele after a few years as bypass veins develop.

I live in Canada and if I had to do it over again I would have flown to Europe and used an IR that specializes in VE without coils. The cost would have been worth it. Good luck.

Howard

• Posted

Thanks Luke for the re-assuring post. I'm definitely leaning towards VE than the more intrusive sounding surgery route now. We'll see how everything goes with all this craziness in the hospitals right now but hopefully I'll still be able to do it soon because my health insurance is supposed to end next month. Wish me luck 😉

• Posted

Lol Howard. That blog is exactly the reason that prompted me this post & all this fear in doing the VE.

Wow. I was just reviewing that blog which lead me to some Youtube videos and reading all the comments is seriously scaring me again. Looks like I have a lot more research to do. Damn.

Thanks Howard.

• Posted

Hi Tony! I had my VE with coils in January. I had very intense side effects right after the operation, my belly was inflated and I had adbominal pain, very difficult sit for long and to wear jeans with a belt. Then it seemed it had gone back to normal. Now, a few months later, the tests seem fine, not perfect but fine and with no pain, but this abdominal swelling and pain is back. I have no clue why. I have to wait I cannot give you any advice...

• Posted

Hi Tony, how are you getting on now?

• Posted

I think patient.info made a big mistake by not sending emails to notify people of responses to the threads they are interested in like this one. They have really destroyed this forum because now we only get emails notifying us of direct responses to our own postings. For long threads like this one it makes it all but impossible to keep up.

Anyway, to your question. If you are going to get the VE ask if the IR can do it without coils as the coils can lead to severe nerve pain if they move. Also make sure that the IR has done a lot of VEs without coils because if sclerosant gets into the testicle it can cause a lot of pain.

However, if you only have mild discomfort I would suggest to wait and see and do nothing. Sometimes these things resolve themselves over time. You should keep a log of when your pain gets worse and if it is related to certain activities/clothing/stress etc. Then you may be able to control those to limit your pain. ALL surgeries have risks.

Your T-levels look good and you should not worry about it until you are trying for kids. Good luck. Howard

• Posted

Hi Howard,

Thank you for this info. I'm also looking to get Embolization done in Canada and want to ensure I get a good IR. May I know who did your Embolization ?

• Posted

Mine was done in Toronto by Dr. Robert Beecroft at Mount Sinai hospital. You can reach his secretary at 416-586-4800 ext 4666. I do recommend him but he will use coils so you can discuss that with him. Good luck.

• Posted

I had a left varicocele embolization with sclerosant agent yesterday. My left testicle is very swollen, twice its normal size. Did anyone else have this problem? What should I do?

• Posted

You need to contact your doctor asap to get some antibiotics. I had the same problem after mine as some sclerosant got past the pressure point on the inguinal canal and got into the testicle. It left me with chronic scrotal pain ever since. You MUST speak with your IR who did it.

• Posted

Hi Howard:

I am also in Ontario Canada. I have varicocele with pain in

spermmatic cord near head of left testicle. Right has thicker vein but less pain. Waiting for appointment of IV Radiologist for embo. Previously a high grade varicocele was fixed by a laparoscopic surgeon in 1999 and after that it was perfectly ok until 3 weeks ago. Where your IV embo. was done? What about your microscopic denervation which was suggested by your urologist?

• Posted

Hi,

My IR who did my embo was Dr. Beecroft at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Toronto. My uro at the same hospital who does MDSC procedures is Dr. Jarvi. For the past 2 years he has been trying Botox injections into the spermatic cord instead and they have worked very well for 6 months each time with no pain. So so far I have been able to put off the MDSC. The varicocele procedure did not help with the chronic scrotal pain - in fact I think it made things worse for me. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you Howard.

My case of IV in Brampton. But fortunately last week,I found the name of Dr. Jarvi as expert so I contacted him and he gave me very kind response and soon I will get his appointment. My US indicates normal eidymous and normal testicles. Specific urine test for infection in epidedymous also negative.No UTI either.

What is infilteration procedure . Is this same which you are receiving?

• Posted

Good for you - Dr. Jarvi is the world's expert.

I am not familiar with the "infilteration procedure".

• Posted

Hi:

I got appointment for Embo. from Brampton hospital. I am very confused, because I didn't speak with Dr. Jarvi yet. I am interested in micro. surgery but not sure if I can get this procedure as I have low grade vaicocele. 2.5mm.

Please advise.

• Posted

Hi Gera,

Which procedure did you get done ? How are you feeling now ?I'm also in the GTA and looking to see my options.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.