Recovery from fractured ankle

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

wonder if anyone can give me some advice?

I broke my ankle in 3 places at the beginning of November . I required surgery ( metal plate and 4 screws) I was in a heavy cast for 4 weeks ( no weight bearing). The cast was removed 23rd December and i was given an airboot cast - I was advised that i should still be no weight bearing for a further week and then to remove the airboot and start gradually weight bearing . i was not giving any physio assessment or x-ray that visit and told i wouldn't need to return.

Needless to say , 2 weeks later I cannot walk without crutches . My leg is very weak and the calf muscle has shrunk . I found some exercises help on line but find my calf and achilles area of ankle hurt and i get pins and needles in sole and two toeswhen i try any weight bearing ( ankle is still very swollen ) . I'm taking ibuprofen daily to mask the pain and feel abit at a loss.

I'm in the process of trying to get physio from the hospital i was at but this is proving very slow .

I've never broken anything before and have no idea what's normal recovery in the situation, or what aftercare I should have been given ?

Also,the airboot seems to have aggravated the back of my heel and calf causing it to be tender . I've been wearing a sprain support and strap round my calf , so i can walk round the house without the boot . This is helping me get back on my feet but is it bad for my recovery?

Has anyone else had anything similar , or could give me advice? Anything appreciated .

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow, I would say the ankle still needs repair. None of that sounds normal for an ankle that's recouping. I think the air-boot cast caused the problem. I think they took the other cast off too early.

I had both knees replaced Dec 2007 (both on same day). 3 years ago I just had the joint removed below my left thumb (thumb arthroplasty). I was in a soft cast. I was outside on the grass walking and my toe got stuck in a mole hole. I started falling forward slowly (in my mind) while trying to decide if I'm going to use my left arm to break my fall or have my knee hit the ground first. I chose the knee. (stupid me). I broke my femur from that. The doctor put a rod in my femur and I could not do therapy because my knee kept twisting in place and locking. Because of so much metal in my knee/leg no medical tests would show any problem. It took a whole year for me to convince these doctors there is a problem. Finally I told the doctor to replace the knee again. (2nd replacement on left knee). He did and told me that my ligament was not doing anything for me (that was to be attached to my knee). So all that time I was right and I lost an entire year of being on my feet more then a simple walk to a car or in a store (usually with crutches).

Doctors don't always know stuff. Especially if it's outside their peripheral vision. Be in their face about the issues you're having. I was too nice thinking the doctors knew what they were doing. One doctor told me, is the bone fixed? (yes) "then I've done my job".

• Posted

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for your reply . Looks like you've had a time of it too . That bit about your fall sounded all too familiar . I was walking in central London and started to slide on wet leaves ( this also felt like slow-mo!) I decided i didn't want to fall on my knees and went sideways instead - snapped my ankle in 3 places. I agree as well about Doctors , I don't want to be trouble ( or sound like a hypochondriac ) so you think they know best and accept what they tell you but after reading on line , I was shocked at how little treatment and aftercare I'd been given .

I'm currently waiting for a call back from Hospital tomorrow, to arrange an appointment, as ( after being a pest on the phone and emailing Patient Liaison Service ) I've finally got a referral.

Hope you have recovered well and don't suffer side effects . Can i ask, how long was it before you'd say you were fully recovered after the break?

• Posted

I broke my ankle in 3 places in July

Surgery screws and long screw in back of ankle to stabilize the break

4 weeks in cast Cast removed, stitches removed at 4 weeks I was given boot and had crutches Told I could bear 25% weight

Boot made me develop a small swollen bump which was painful but I did as much weight bearing as possible

At 7 weeks xray showed bones were healed Can now full weight bear with or w/o boot

Started PT First time at PT I was in boot and using crutches By mid September I could walk in the boot with no crutches

Slowly began wearing sneakers around the house with no boot

What I can tell you its a slow process and some days you feel like you arent making any progress but it takes time

Good luck and be patient!

Definitely do PT!!!!

• Posted

I'm sort of laughing cause you think I'm recovered. but then I'm not laughing cause I'm not recovered. I have had too many surgeries in a short amount if time. 6 in 2 years. most in my hands. all of this has knocked me down. I'm trying to recoup but struggle. I now have Afib, fibermyalgia and dupetrens conjecture in both hands. The amount of pain I have off and on is the biggest challenge. I am on gabapentin (like most humans out there) but maybe not a strong enough dosage. doctors keep telling me DON'T FALL. but every medication they have me on causes dizziness and balance issues. also every medicine causes blurred vision. so looking through my progressive lenses most of the time wont help. DON'T FALL keeps playing in my head. life is certainly a challenge at times.

• Posted

sorry ! wow so much surgery . i admire that you keep going .

I feel like a flake, as I've only had this and 7 years ago a throat tumor(benign) Which , after removal , I had to have a metal plate in my jaw and yearly check-ups under MacMillan but I feel that my ankle break is far worse and having more of an impact - lack if mobility etc.

i can't begin to imagine how you cope with all that happening to your hands

I do hope you can continue to dig deep and stay positive .

• Posted

wow so sorry to hear you are having all these issues. I broke mine on July 3rd and had a plate and two screws put in. The surgery wasn't until the 23rd during that time I was in a cast. I was non-weight-bearing for 6 weeks and they had removed the cast and put me in an air boot. when I went back after 6 weeks I was still non-weight-bearing but given physical therapy. they also gave me an ankle brace and I was supposed to start wearing that once Physical Therapy got me moved out of the boot. when I went back at 12 weeks I believe they told me I could do full. weight bearing. which when I try to do it I wasn't ready and it was extremely painful. it does get better but. I would think you are early especially with no therapy. I would definitely call your doctor back and if you can get into the therapy that's a big help because that's how they got me from being completely off my feet into walking . it's a long slow process. Good luck and keep us posted. It will get better.

• Posted

Hi ,

Thanks for the info and support.

I am currently expecting a call from the hospital tomorrow to arrange assessment appointment ( I got a direct number and have kept chasing )

I also wrote to PALS , so its officially documented now . Hopefully, physio will start soon .

• Posted

I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure you'll do great in your recovery once this issue is taken care of. 😃

• Posted

sounds like you had the same break and repair as me except l have a rod too. my accident was 11weeks ago . i had my cast on for 8 weeks now im in a moon boot but was told to still not completely weight bare just rock the boot with crutches. if l do try and weight bare i simply cant, i too have pins n needles down my toes and l have like a burning sensation. the swelling is only just starting to go down, sounds to me like what your experiencing is the same as me but l do feel they took the cast f too early.

im starting physio in a few days lets hope we will both be back to normal very soon x

• Posted

you need physical therapy assistance. they work with injuries like this all the time and will give you the advice you need to help with your recovery so you would not do something to re injure yourself... your doctor should be monitoring your progress at least every two weeks to gradually add weight to your ankle. i would recommend you report to your doctor for x rays and then go to s physcal therapist please

• Posted

Thanks for the reply and support .

I've been contacted by the hospital and have a appointment for Thursday morning as a pre-appointment look to see what's going on . I do have an official referral now as well ( appointment tbc) , so hopefully will get the help I need .

Just wish it hadn't happened like this and gone a bit smoother but hopefully i haven't added to my injury trying to walk on it early .

• Posted

I'm glad there is a direction fir you regarding this issue. ya, don't hurt that ankle further. if you aren't getting the answers you need then push for them. I'm serious. wishing you well!!

• Posted

I was none weight bearing for 8 weeks in a fibreglass cast.

I wasn't x-rayed at the point they took the cast off, but was at 4 weeks in.

Try not to take medication. It dulls your pain and lets you push harder than you should and possibly cause more damage.

I'm wearing trainers (Skechers shape-ups, they're old but not worn so still have a decent sole) as the shape helps to walk. Try just getting around at first, doesn't need to be 'walking' as such; I started with a sort of waddling limp, that has gotten more like walking the more I do.

The muscle isn't going to come back unless you use it, so get cracking! If you're struggling to physically walk, you need to loosen off the muscle/tendon/ligaments.

Practise drawing the alphabet with your ankle with your foot in as many positions as you can (pointed, heels down, in between etc.)

Practise standing on one leg and build the time up. Then try standing on both feet and just lifting up onto your toes. Then when you're strong and stable (more than Mrs May anyway!) try standing on one foot on your toes.

This all takes time to build the strength- I'm currently only a week out of a cast, but have done the other one 2 years ago!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice and insight . i can stand on the leg and I am getting around on crutches in the house.

my issues are, the airboot has aggravated my achillies heel area and this is swollen and tender when i try to make the walking motion with my ankle or any kind of flex . My calf is quite wasted ans tender as well .

I have tried putting weight on the foot ( while on crutches ) but get pins and needles sensation along the bottom of my sole and two of my toes are either hot , cold or numb ?? Is all this to be expected?

I've finally got a hospital visit tomorrow , so will make sure i discuss all the above. I know some of it is 'normal' healing but still shocked at how the consultant that day , just took the cast off and ended it there .

Hopefully answers and recovery start tomorrow .

• Posted

the pins and needles I think are normal but hopefully the hospital will be able to help with everything. I found with my experience and what others have said here that many times they don't give enough info on what to expect.

• Posted

Thanks Susan .

yes , I wish I'd been given more information before being sent home . It felt like I was rushed through the cast being cut off , given an airboot ( which now I think maybe the wrong size ) and then told to go home and get on with it .

Also, the lack of instructions about starting to weight bear/exercise and the idea that I could just remove the Boot and start walking on it.

This site has definitely been a help , as has Patient Liaison Services . I hope others can gain help for reading these messages too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.