Recovery from fractured ankle

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

wonder if anyone can give me some advice?

I broke my ankle in 3 places at the beginning of November . I required surgery ( metal plate and 4 screws) I was in a heavy cast for 4 weeks ( no weight bearing). The cast was removed 23rd December and i was given an airboot cast - I was advised that i should still be no weight bearing for a further week and then to remove the airboot and start gradually weight bearing . i was not giving any physio assessment or x-ray that visit and told i wouldn't need to return.

Needless to say , 2 weeks later I cannot walk without crutches . My leg is very weak and the calf muscle has shrunk . I found some exercises help on line but find my calf and achilles area of ankle hurt and i get pins and needles in sole and two toeswhen i try any weight bearing ( ankle is still very swollen ) . I'm taking ibuprofen daily to mask the pain and feel abit at a loss.

I'm in the process of trying to get physio from the hospital i was at but this is proving very slow .

I've never broken anything before and have no idea what's normal recovery in the situation, or what aftercare I should have been given ?

Also,the airboot seems to have aggravated the back of my heel and calf causing it to be tender . I've been wearing a sprain support and strap round my calf , so i can walk round the house without the boot . This is helping me get back on my feet but is it bad for my recovery?

Has anyone else had anything similar , or could give me advice? Anything appreciated .

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Shirley,

I had a very similar injury at around the same time as you, just a few more screws etc. I was in a cast for 6 weeks and then airboot 50% weight bearing for four weeks. I have one week remaining in that and then have been told I'll be in an ankle brace and trainer to start fully weight bearing. I cant imagine being able to do that!

It does sound like they moved you on pretty quickly. Perhaps you should get another opinion if possible. Also I don't want to worry you but I think I should mention that I was told not to take ibuprofen for pain relief as there's evidence to suggest it interferes with bone healing. you'd be better with paracetamol

Its been a terrible experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!

Good luck

x

• Posted

Hi Michelle ,

Thanks for sharing your experience and the painkiller advice - no one at the hospital mentioned that about ibuprofen. Luckily , I'm not one for taking medication unless absolutely essential , so have been mostly using Paracetamol . I have used Ibuprofen sparingly when the back of my heel was so sore last week from using the airboot .

I'm now thinking that the consultant on that day ( hadn't seen him before ) didn't read my notes at all and was maybe in a hurry ( it was 2 days before christmas day) it's the only way I can see how I got such poor after care. Well, tomorrow is hopefully the start of proper treatment ...fingers crossed!

• Posted

just an update ...

was seen by a physio at the hospital today.

she agreed that my ankle is still quite swollen and the back part of heel is as well I'm still l not completely happy with outcome but will try to do the exercises.

She has told me to start full weight bearing as well but i can use a sports support around my calf . she has said to just make sure i take pain meds ( yes ibuprofen ) .I'm glad to ditch the airboot as I feel that was doing more damage .

i have an appointment for the 28th jan , to see how I'm doing .

I'm hobbling round the house on one crutch ,in a very ungainly (painful) manner, so just hope it gets easier and I have given in to taking pain killers . Still don't have much range in ankle movement though due to swelling . I'm considering paying for private physio for a few sessions , just to get another opinion and some one on one guidance .

Thanks again for all the replies and advice .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.