recovery from laparoscopic gall bladder op

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi

Would someone be able to advise on recovery times for the above op please. I'm having my gall bladder out on 29th may and my husband insists I'll be able to drive and look after our 3 year old son the following weekend 5th June as he's supposed to be going away. I'm not sure I will but don't want to appear a wimp.

V

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had the above op less than 2 weeks ago, I know everyone is different, but to be honest I have felt week, tired, and everyday I have had an upset stomach!!

Stomach cramps also at different times of the day, I know I am feeling and getting better as each day goes by, my tummy button has still not healed as the other 3 cuts have, but to be honest I am grateful to be alive! and the dreaded gallbladder pain is now non existent

Good luck to you I hope all goes well for you xxx

• Posted

Thanks. I think he's being over optimistic I know I'm not supposed to lift heavy things and my son is nearly 3 stone so I'm worried I won't be able to look after him. My parents live 200 miles away and we have no other family nearby.
    • Posted

Hi Tamsin....I also had stomach cramps and nausea...my doctor just prescribed PMS-METOCLOPRAMIDE 10 MG.

I've also started taking enzyme pills and probiotic pills. Something is working because I have no pain or nausea. Hope it helps you.

• Posted

PS

I forgot to mention I am 52 so no spring chicken xx

• Posted

They kept me in hospital for 6 days for ERCP, further tests and for everything to calm down. They told me it'd take another week for the pain to settle.

On day 7 I felt tired & hungry a lot, it's also when I dropped the codeine & my constipation etc cleared.

Day 9 today - still kinda tired, I still get pains but managed easily with paracetamol. I'm not doing any kind of heavy lifting.

I think personally on day 7 I'd struggle taking care of anything.

I'm 21 and a dude, you're not a whimp, people don't know what the recovery is like until they actually go through it.

But every one recovers at a different pace, I certainly wouldn't want to place a date on it.

If he really has to go you should perhaps try getting a relative to stay over to help out. And what you guys need to take into account is that the hospital might keep you longer than expected. They told me it'd be a same day discharge or the following day. I was there 6 days.

• Posted

Well of all the selfish.....

Is your husband a health care professional? Has he pre-ordered a straighforward cholesystectomy without ANY complications during or after? Any operation is serious! Taking out a vital part of your body is no joke! Knowing how men get 'man flu' he is being extremely selfish and very stupid as he is leaving you in charge of your own health and a child's welfare!

Everyone's pain threshold and recovery time is different and you need to have someone you can call on if you are ill.  You will be in some pain as they inflate yoru body to show the organ and this wind causes some pain. You are not being a wimp. You are being responsiible not irresponsible and uncaring like him. OOOOH I'd like to stamp on his balls and tell him to 'get on with it'. If yoru husband thinks his trip away is more important , tell him not to bother coming back!!

• Posted

Hey designer girl. I'm a 34 year single dad and I've just had the same op a few weeks ago AND the same requests from my ex! After having to look after my 4 year old son for 9 days straight after a gallbladder removal I'd say that everyone is different in their recovery it seems and it also seems that every partner or ex partner can be selfish when it comes to their children MALE OR FEMALE ! Being a man though I just got on with it. 🙌??

• Posted

Ignore previous did not pre read.
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed on 6th May and my hubby went back to work today. I have a 7 month old and I'm still struggling to put him in his cot and bath him so have my mother in law helping out for this week too. I couldn't lift him at all this time last week and only started feeling normal ish 3 days ago. Overdone it today and a bit sore again tonight! You Def will need help for 2-3 weeks and I was told not to drive for three weeks either. Everyone is different but u need your rest! It's a major operation even though it's keyhole and u need time to heal. Good luck with your surgery and tell your husband to cancel his trip! Xxx
  • Posted

I just had my pre op this morning for my op on thurs and the nurse told me im not really meant to lift or do anything to strenous for 2 weeks. Not great condidering i have a 13 week old baby and a 4 year old son. Luckily my husband has taken 12 days off which has worked out better with it being half term. Everyone recovers differently but u will need to relax after the op im afraid xxx
  • Posted

Oh I'm so pleased I asked. I keep telling him I'm having an organ removed and have left the after care leaflet out and highlighted the no heavy lifting or driving bits. Our son is in nursery all week but weekends will be a struggle. Thanks for the advice ☺
  • Posted

I'm 29 and had my gallbladder out in January. 

They said since I was quite slim I'd recovery quickly, 

But they recommend I didn't drive for 2 weeks post op.

I have a 3 year old & 1 year old and was lucky hubby was on his month home starting the day of my op. 

I'd say that I was able to drive from about 10 days and on but couldn't lift the kids for about 2 weeks as my wounds were quite achy. Even though we're all different and heal differently I'd say you defs need a good 2 weeks to proper rest. Hope all goes well for your op. I'm so glad to be clear of my gallbladder, it's caused me 7 months of hell, 3 stone weight loss, 3 week long stays in the hospital one of which I nearly died from pancreatitis. Good luck with your recovery. Xx

• Posted

Hi, I had my gall bladder removed on Monday and  I'm still sore. It's a little like after a caesarean when it hurts to get up or turn over. I hadn't realised that even with keyhole surgery there would be 4 incisions.  I do feel tired but have soup and some simple low fat meals in the fridge and am taking it easy. The consultant was confident that I would feel better in 5 days and can swim next week. I take painkillers and ibuprofen every 4 hours. Everyone is different and I would feel ok about looking after a 3 year old. I'm a single mum with M.E. Did and having nursed my parents as well as looking after a baby I haven't had lots of support. I arrange my like around what I can do so I wouldn't drive around or lift a child. I work part time din a nursery and I generally go down to the child rather than lift at that age, unless in an emergency. Could you organise a few  playdates ? I'd organise lots of movies and activities where you can just watch ! Hope it works out ok for you. If your husband has to work and you don't feel up to it I'd hire a babysitter for a few hours - or bribe a young neighbour or neighbours older child to keep them amused or at least the afternoon til bedtime when your energy is low. Good luck !
  • Posted

I had mine removed in February. Was told not to drive for 5 weeks . As you won't be able to do emergency stop without causing complications. Lifting was a no no. I after a week hoovered and was in agony for a couple of days. I couldn't lift the rubbish out of the large bin without twinges. All your stomach muscles are affected as although it's keyhole they have made a small cut right through the muscle . Beware the first few days you really need total rest the gas they inflate your abdomen with takes 3 or 4 days to work it's way out mainly through your shoulders .... Yes very strange.. The stomach pains require dosing regularly on pain killers. Once your digestive system clears the gas out ...such a relief... I am now a new woman didn't realise how ill my gallbladder had made me.. Sluggish tired nauseous a lot .. Pain couldn't wear bra back pain etc... Took two months for my body to get back it's balance and now yippee....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.