Recovery post ovarian cyst and ovary removal

Posted , 53 users are following.

Hello all, 

I'm 42, fit (a personal trainer) and have 4x5cm simple fluid filled cyst on my left ovary, been there for 10 years but only now symptomatic and has grown. I'm scheduled for surgery in the next few weeks. My surgeon says she won't know until she goes in through keyhole to make sure the cyst hasn't adhered to anything else in my abdominal cavity if she can get it all out by keyhole. I may have to have a laparotomy. I'm not scared about the surery itself, I'm just gonna be glad to have some relief. 

What I am terrified of is the recovery time off of work! I know, we're all different and have such different circumstances but I just wondered how anyone else got on post surgery. Thanks in advance for any replies. 

3 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I've just had a dermoid Cyst removed only 14 days ago and am already up and about, I found the first few days a pain, but that was mainly due to wires and tubes, and it being awkward getting in and out of bed, but I was out within 4 days, I hope yours went well too.

• Posted

Hello,

I wondered if I could get some advice/info from someone. I have had an ovarian cyst on my right ovary for about 8 years but it has just started to grow quite rapidly and causing me a lot of pain, particularly around my time of the month. I have been seeing my gynecologist for the past few years and they have suggested a laparoscopy to remove it as I am in agony. I am quite a busy person, I work 3 jobs (1 in an office and the other looking after children) I also go to university. I know both jobs will be flexible with me returning but I am so worried about uni as it is my final year and I do not was to be deferred. Whilst recovering, do you think it would be possible to get assignments done and attend lectures? My gynecologist also said that depending on what they find, I may need open surgery so I am quite concerned about uni although they are extremely good and I know they will be understanding. I just want to graduate at the same time as the rest of my class. Thank you in advance smile

• Posted

I am 1 week post op for a robotic procedure to remove both ovaries and both tubes and a 6cm fluid filled cyst. I am 49 years old and in good health. As I read many of the horrific recovery stories I was terrified to undergo the needed procedure. While I had no symptoms with the large cyst I was advised by my doctor there was a threat of rupture. I  am thrilled to say that I had surgery (4) incisions on Wednesday, went home same afternoon, was up walking to the mailbox same day and back to work the next day (I work in an office so no big deal - but kept me on the move and occupied my mind). I never so much as took a tylenol. There was no real "pain", definitely discomfort from the gas and abdominal swelling. Everything improved greatly each day. Gas was gone by day three and swelling mainly gone by day 5. I am a runner and was walking a few miles by day 3 and able to do moderate housework as well. My doctor was great - he said listen to your body - if it hurts stop - if you feel ok moderation is good. By day 6 was walking at a good clip. Had some bleeding for a few days but I think this was the last period due to timing of surgery. Went for my 1 week post op and was cleared to resume all normal activity. I agree with everyone above who stated to get moving as soon as possible. Incisions were a little tender but stubbing my toe hurt more. Listen to your body. We all heal differently. So thankful for such a quick and easy recovery.

• Posted

Hey there, I've been reading this forum and it has some great information. I am 31 and am going to have laparoscopic surgery in 2 weeks to remove a 9cm cyst that is either attached to or near one of my fallopian tubes (I believe it is called a para tubal cyst). Hopefully they will not have to take one of my ovaries/fallopian tubes but it is a possibility if it is damaged. I am not in my pain which is a plus but have not been able to really workout due to being careful not to twist or rupture the cyst. I have already taken the day of surgery off and the following two days, as my surgery is on a Wednesday, and will also have the weekend to recover before going back to work on Monday. I know everyone has a different recovery time but am wondering if I will be able to go back to work after 5 days of rest. I teach PreK (4 and 5 year olds) and will be on my feet most of the day.

Also, I know some of you have talked about feeling and looking bloated after surgery for a while and am wondering if I will need to buy some new work clothes that are larger than what I wear now so that I will feel comfortable.

Oh, also how long before I will be able to drive? And if anyone has any tips for pre and post operation for a quicker recovery time that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

• Posted

I had the surgery on Tuesday for a 10cm cyst that I didn't know was there. To be honest I feel very uncomfortable still and stayed in hospital until Friday due to terrible constipation and painful trapped wind that was more painful than the incision itself! I also had a lot of dizziness and sickness from the anaesthetic. I'm home now and walking like an old lady, even though I'm 49. I was slim and fit, so I'm hoping that I will feel better next week, as boredom is my biggest issue. The shoulder pain is very strange, and I still can't take a deep breath as my chest hurts. It's the gas that they pump in, my back and neck feel like I have over done it at the gym! I think you'll be a bit ambitious to think you'll be back at work in 5 days, I couldn't even get off the sofa last night I was like a beetle stuck on its back! And as for coughing or laughing, you 

feel like you are going to burst! I will have another week off and do a bit of work from home, the excess wind is a bit uncontrollable....

• Posted

I really believe recovery is an individual matter. I was 49 when I had my procedure. 6CM cyst, both ovaries and tubes removed. I am in good health and was fortunate to return to work the next day. Was I uncomfortable for several days, yes I was from the air pumped in. However, even though I was uncomfortable, the more I moved around and the more I did the better I felt. Dwelling on the whole thing would have driven me nuts. By going back to work and having other things to think about made the time pass quicker and I think the activity made the swelling and gas pass quicker as well. By pushing myself within reason I was cleared to resume all normal activity after 7 days. It has now been 4 months. I know I am 100% but when I stretch I can still feel internal tightness where the incisions were. It is not painful, just there. Best of luck with your procedure and trust in yourself. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply!  Did you have laparoscopic surgery?  I am hoping that my recovery time will be fast but will listen to my body as to when I feel comfortable going back to work.  I am going to just see how the weekend goes and see how I feel on that Sunday before as to whether I will return to work the following day.  I know that I will not be able to pick up the kids or even lift a whole lot. I will be having my surgery on Wednesday and am a little nervous as I have never had surgery before.  The thing I am most nervous about is the anesthesia...does it take a while to wake up afterwards?  I don't know why I am so nervous about that part but I guess it is just because I don't know what it will be like.  Does it feel like you are just in a deep sleep?  Also, how long does surgery take? 

• Posted

Wow!!  I cannot believe you went back to work the very next day!  I do plan on trying to move around the most that I can because I know that the more movement I have, the less pain I will be in because I won't be thinking about it.  I really hope that I will be able to return to work after 5 days because I feel like I will be so bored if I don't.  Was it after 7 days then that you could drive, or were you allowed to drive sooner? Whether or not I can drive after those 5 days of rest is also another factor as to whether or not I will be able to return to work.  Also, is having anesthesia scary?  I've never had surgery and don't know what to expect.  I am not really so much worried about what type of pain I might be in as I am about the anesthesia.  Does it take a while to wake up afterwards and does the nurse wake you up or do you have to wake up naturally?  

• Posted

Hi, I actually drove the next day and didn't have any discomfort. The anesthesia was the scariest part for me as well. The only surgery I had previously was a C-section 21 years ago when my daughter was born. I was awake for that only had an epidural. I went back for surgery at about 12:30. They said the procedure took about 30 minutes or so. I woke up about 2:30 and was on my way home at 3. I was pretty nervous about being put under but all I remember is talking to the anesthesiologist and then I remember waking up. I was a bit groggy and slow moving but as the day passed I felt more like myself. Post op the gas was the worst thing but every day it improved greatly. By the 4th or 5th day it was all gone. The swelling was completely gone after about 10 days.

• Posted

Just joined in.. did you have laparoscopic surgery or a laparotomy??? I’m trying to get a feel for post op laparotomy!
    • Posted

Wow! I cannot believe you could drive the very next day!! That is a super speedy recovery. I really hope mine goes that well. I am going to try not to worry about being scared about the anesthesia because I know they are professionals who administer anesthesia all the time and know what they are doing. I will just try to relax and think of it as just taking a nap.

So I called today about my surgery to see how to prepare and had to leave a message. When  they called me back and left me a message they kept saying that the date of surgery was next Friday and not the Wednesday before which is what it was suppose to be. So tomorrow I have to call and see what happened and which date my surgery actually is. I am hoping they made a mistake and it is Wednesday, as originally planned. I am just ready to get his over and begin recovery.  I hate waiting.

Also, did you only have a cyst removed or did you have an ovary/fallopian tube removed too? They had mentioned to me that depending on the location of my cyst (the ultrasound and CT didn't show where exactly the cyst was as far as which ovary it was attached to because it is so large) that I might have to have an ovary/fallopian tube removed. I really hope I don't have to have anything else removed as I'm sure that will make recovery time longer. 

• Posted

Hi I’m new to this forum, o was recently in the Er last week with severe right sided ovarian pain.  I thought it was my appendix, couldn’t walk.  They did an ultrasound and I have a 6  x 5  cm hemorrhage is ovarian cyst with intermittent torsion.  They were  going to do surgery last Thursday but due to my history of 2 csections and a hysterectomy they chose to wait it out.  I just had another ultrasound today to see if the cyst decreased in size, but according to the tech it’s still there and the same size!! I’m in constant extreme pain.   My obgyn scheduled me to have a laparotomy on this coming Tuesday.  I don’t understand why they waited so long?  It’s been a long painful week, I feel the pain also radiating up to under my rib age on the same side.  Is this normal??? I feel blotted and the pain makes it hard to walk, or bend at the waist or sit upright.   At this point I’m very scared to have the surgery but do not see any other option.   I’ve already been out of work for a week just sitting on my couch please advise!! 
    • Posted

Oh my...that sounds very painful. I didn't know it was possible to get an ovarian cyst after having a hysterectomy. I wish I could offer advice but have never had surgery before. I guess the important thing to remember and focus on is how much better you will feel after surgery is over. I would just take it easy until then. Hoping you have a speedy recovery and are not in pain anymore. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.