Recovery question bunion surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had bunion surgery on both my feet March 22,2017

they used wires rather than pins to realign my big toes

my question is did you wear the boots(wedge shoe ) all the time or just when you were walking to washroom ....

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi - I wore my boot all the time for the first few weeks even in bed although I stopped wearing it in bed once toes were less tender.  I am only just out of boot eight weeks after surgery but had hammertoe surgery too.

hope that helps.

Jane

• Posted

I have been wearing mine all the time as well with the odd break during the day but was told by someone I am to only wear them when up and about and not while I was sitting/laying down with my feet elevated. 

Looking forward to the bandages coming off and wearing just the splint and  boot. 

• Posted

Hi! I am 6daya post op now! I have had very very little pain since day 2 😊

Just have discomfort from the bandages in the middle part of my foot, I feel like there getting looser & it's gone horrible in the middle part!

I have been using my bunion boot they provided me with at all times when am up, but when laying elevated I have It of!! I've been elevated most of the time apart from going in the car & bathroom and making a wick meal!!

• Posted

my pain subsided after day 3 thankfully as the pain med was constipating me ,I feel when my boots are off a little bit of pain/ tingling/ swelling comes back. 
  • Posted

I had surgery on 20th of February for bunion and two hammertoes. I had pins put through my toes. I didn't wear the big shoe when I was resting only when walking around. Had pins taken out yesterday and glad to bin that shoe

• Posted

What did your foot look like the 1st time you seen it after bandages were removed?
    • Posted

When bandage came off foot was a bit red and toes bloody but I went against doctors orders and had a shower when I got home. Taking care to put clean fresh tepid water over operated foot before I got out of shower. It took ages to wash as had to be very cautious (put towel on base of shower to ensure didn't slip) but no adverse problems. So pins out and now have a very low level surgical shoe so just need to keep wiggling toes until they get back to normal. I'm back to driving at work on Monday so need to be positive.

• Posted

Back for 2 weeks! They gave me a desk job only working 5 hrs a day which was helpful . Biggest hassle was getting to bus stop and back. The usual 5 minute walk took about 15. I'd put foot up for couple hours once home. Doesn't seem to have caused any problems and consultant saw my x ray then took pins out a week early woo hoo

• Posted

I took mine off at night as I presumed they were to take the weight of the toe when walking. I put them on the second I was going to put my foot to the floor Doing OK on that. I did only keep the sheet over my toes as I didn't like the weight of the duvet. Op 6th March and counting the days to the 6 week marker. 

• Posted

How are you walking around?

What did you foot like like for the 1st time after seeing it after the op?

Sorry all the questions!!

I can move my toes now really well apart from my big toe!

My bandages feel much looser and it's making it more uncomfortable 😣

I can walk on my heal About 40steps before sitting down, I can also walk up & down the stairs properly but on my heal, things are getting easier but I do get aches and pains in my legs & ankle from been laid up so long!!

• Posted

First two weeks i mainly had my feet up, at three weeks the swelling is minimal so I divide the day between resting and moving around. I go out with sticks for balance and keep weight off but the exercise feels good. I do move my ankles around and gently move my other toes. I won't walk without boot before 6 weeks as the bones won't be properly set. I did have both done.

Good luck.

• Posted

Ouch! Both feet together!!

I walk with one stick! Did your feet look very sore & swollen when you seen them after 2weeks? I can't wait for this to be over!

I get so bored & my bum is numb at times from sitting too long, I do lay on the floor and do sit ups & leg movements to help though! Just quite depressing at the age of 26 & not been able to take my 5yr old boy to school or take him out as I get exhausted & feel pressure in the leg and foot of I stand too long! Just a long waiting game I guess!

• Posted

Yes, they didn't look that brilliant. I made a bowl of warm water and gently washed them off. that made them feel and look better. I'm 70, somewhat older than you and can probably sit still for longer. I try to arrange something every day - visitors, a film and always my saving grace, writing.

It must be very difficult with a 5 year old boy, I hope you have lots of help. At 3 weeks walking is easier. I like to keep the wounds protected as they can rub on the splints if I walk very far. Keep counting the days you've done and not the ones to be done.

• Posted

My bandages feel uncomfortable as the swelling has gone down so I think they have gone a little baggy underneath which is so horrible! I do ice my feet at times if I've been up too long doing bits of house work that I can do!! I just hope my scar looks ok when I have the bandages changing!! Am not looking forward to looking at my foot for the first time of that makes sense??

• Posted

i haven't done stairs yet ,op was March 22. My doctor told me not too,do you find the stair climbing hard and painfull

• Posted

Yes I would leave stairs for 10 days as you feel vulnerable in that big shoe
    • Posted

I found it difficult for the 1st 4days going up and down the stairs in. Y bum, but now I can walk up & down without pain but been extra careful and slowly!! 6days post-op I had (bunionectomy 1st matatarsal basal osteotomy, soft tissue release and akin osteotomy)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.