Recovery question bunion surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had bunion surgery on both my feet March 22,2017

they used wires rather than pins to realign my big toes

my question is did you wear the boots(wedge shoe ) all the time or just when you were walking to washroom ....

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello there! I had both bunions removed Mid-October 2016, so I'm 5 1/2 months post surgery. I wore the boots whenever I needed to get around, so if I was sitting with my feet up, I took them off, mainly because I found them heavy. I did try sleeping in them but, again, the weight of them made it uncomfortable. I slept on my back with my feet elevated on pillows, outside of the quilt. I wasn't comfortable with the quilt being over my feet for quite a while. With regard to walking around, for the first couple of weeks, I did a lot of bum-shuffling (because it was easier somehow) if I needed to go upstairs to the loo, but there were times when only the boots would do, i.e. going to the kitchen to prepare dinner, etc. My kids are a little older (12&14), so getting them to school wasn't a problem, because they take themselves. Six months down the line, I'm so pleased to be rid of my bunions. I'm told that it could take up to a year for my feet to get back to normal, but so far, so good :-). Rest up and elevate those tootsies!!

• Posted

How long did it take for you to walk without needing to rest & elevate? Glad to hear you are well now! It is so boring isn't it!! I get fed up at times..

I've been cleaning up today with resting in between with ice pack on my foot!! 1week tomorrow it will be from surgery! My bandages are very awful as the swelling has gone down so the bandages have gone very discomforting!! Hope my scar looks ok when I go have the bandages changed!!

• Posted

Oh, gosh! You're only about a week post surgery! I was pottering around for the first couple of weeks and off work for 6weeks. I think I wanted to run before I could walk, if I'm being honest......If I stayed on my feet for too long, I certainly knew about it. My feet would swell up and become quite uncomfortable. I would say that they started feeling better after about 4 months (I am on my feet all day and went back to work full hours after Christmas). I know it's hard, but, please, put your feet up and rest them as much as you can (you're a mum and will find that bit tricky!!): you'll get the best results and healing if you do. I do have scars (2 on each foot - I had scarf and akin osteotomies) but they're not that bad ; certainly not angry or ugly like the bunions that used to be decorating my feet :-)! Looking forward to the summer and wearing nicer shoes!

I know you're probably tearing your hair out because you can't do what you normally do, but each day is nearer to the day when you can. Just be a little patient and you will be so pleased.

Take care.

• Posted

it sounds like you maybe doing too much, try to rest and keep them feet up.

although I hate just laying around its the best thing we can do for the first bit

i was told to stay off feet for 2weeks and only weight bare on heels with crutches to use the bathroom only    

Just be careful not to over do it 

• Posted

If you're worried about scarring, there's good evidence that even just putting medical tape over the scar can relieve the tension and improve the appearance of the scar. Prob as much as the more expensive silicone sheets. I'll be hedging my bets and using silicone tape...

• Posted

I can wiggle my toes, & ive just tried to wiggle my big toe and I did 😳

I don't no if am right, but I sometimes feel a damp sensation and my bandages a little loose around my big toe area?? (Hmmm)

I can see all my toes right To were they start on my foot and they look fine no blood or anything 😊 Or brusing!! Hope this is a good sign! I've had it elevated for 6days even through the night I've tried to keep it high up on lots of pillows!

But my bandages at the sole of my foot feel so uncomfortable and piled together! Does your ankle ache??

• Posted

Ohhh I will try that then once am bandage free!! I can wiggle my toes, & ive just tried to wiggle my big toe and I did 😳

I don't no if am right, but I sometimes feel a damp sensation and my bandages a little loose around my big toe area?? (Hmmm)

I can see all my toes right To were they start on my foot and they look fine no blood or anything 😊 Or brusing!! Hope this is a good sign! I've had it elevated for 6days even through the night I've tried to keep it high up on lots of pillows!

But my bandages at the sole of my foot feel so uncomfortable and piled together! Does your ankle ache??

• Posted

My surgery was (Bunionectomy,1st metatarsal basal osteomy, lateral soft tissue release and akin osteotomy)

I can wiggle my toes, & ive just tried to wiggle my big toe and I did 😳

• Posted

Are you having both feet or 1?

I hope your surgery goes well!! I stayed in overnight which I was happy about really as it's uncomfortable & the anaesthetic made me not feel my bottom half of my leg for many hours!

But I am pain free & I have been pain free from the 2nd day of surgery, I am not even needing any pain relief 😊 codeine made me poorly so I took only panadol!!

My foot only feels heavy if I've been up too long!

Keep me updated 😊

• Posted

Good luck! You will be absolutely fine. Just think - straight, pain-free feet :-).

You may be a bit fragile at first, but it will be worth it!

• Posted

Good luck with your surgery , first three days I had pain but as long as you stay on top of your pain meds it's manageable,only thing I find now is boredom from just laying around,I am 7 day post op

• Posted

Good wishes from me too. Sure it's sore for 2 days but stay in bed and take the painkillers. After that it's just a case of hobbling a little resting a lot hobbling a little resting a lot. Almost 6 weeks on and I'm going back to normal job but think foot won't be normal for a month yet

• Posted

I find it's so boring too 😭

Am getting aching legs and hips and ankle from all this rest 😐😣😩😩

I've been doing a bit of core work on the floor and leg raises to help my aches!! My ankle is so annoying though!! When do you get your bandages changed??

• Posted

Do you feel trickling here and there around your big toe or is it just me?
    • Posted

Both feet - austen bunionectomy. Had a large hernia repair 2.5 weeks ago so still taking paracetamol for that and occasional ibuprofen. Tramadol or tapentadol can help a lot with nerve type pain - trickling sensations (!), burning, stabbing type pains. 

My bedroom is upstairs so I can either stay there for a couple of days or sleep in a recliner downstairs if I wnt to be around my family. But a bit oncerned about how I would manage stairs early on!

• Posted

Thank you - see post above, I'm still taking it somewhat easy after a big hernia repair, but figure I may as well bundle my recoveries!!

Pain not so much of a worry as I am an anaesthetist for a foot surgeon so know a lot about drugs and have them all organised!!

I have had 2 weeks of doing very little, up and about this week but try to rest in the afternoons. My friends have been great about taking me out or visiting, as well as dropping off meals!

• Posted

Oh wow you have good friends 😊

Gosh you have been through quite a lot recently then! At least your resting plenty!

I get the occasional burning sensation and trickling like it feels wet underneath or something! But am not in pain thank god, but I do get funny sensations inside, I am just more worried about what it's going to look like when I have my bandages removed!! My toes don't look bruised yet & it's been a week tomorrow since operation!! Hope the brusing doesn't come!!

• Posted

bandages come off april 7th then just splints and boots for another 4-6 weeks , how about you
    • Posted

Am 7days post op today 😊

& I just recived a text from hospital to tell me my appointment is the 6th April 😊 to have bandages removed and checked! I can't wait as the bandages are uncomfortable now! Are yours?

I keep feeling a little hotness underneath too & sometimes a trickling sensation! But no pain 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.