Recovery question bunion surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had bunion surgery on both my feet March 22,2017

they used wires rather than pins to realign my big toes

my question is did you wear the boots(wedge shoe ) all the time or just when you were walking to washroom ....

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all very good comments and recognise most of them!  I think the main thing is DONT try to overdo it - you pay for it if you do!  For the first time yesterday I had my trainers on and walked with them. It was fab.  I only had one bunion and toe done - other later - and it's so worth it no big lumps sticking out from toe or bunion.  

Just one one question though does anyone have a horrible feeling as if something inside your foot moving like a bit of bone and cotton would.  It's between my big  toe and what was the hammertoe toe.  I mentioned it at one of my appointments but was told it was probably nerves and would settle.  Nothing showed on X-ray.  

Ive to go for CT scan though but unsure what for.......

Jane

• Posted

Hi Jane!

I do have that similar feeling you get. I can only describe it like it's maybe my stitches getting caught on my skin near my big toe, also trickling sensation and hotties here and there! My ankle aches more than anything! Am having my bandages removed on the 6th April can't wait! 7days post op today!!

• Posted

Hi I'm now eight weeks in and that feeling not going.  Getting the bandages off was such a relief but don't be too disheartened if feet don't look great - I gasped lol- but I'm very pleased now things have settled down.  Still a few twinges but not pain.

Jane

• Posted

My ankle is very dry! 😭

Did your foot look swollen and bruised when you first seen it?

• Posted

Any questions concerning post-operative care should alwways be addressed to the surgeon. Not every patient will have the same requirements. In general, the surgical shoe is used ANYTIME a patient is weight-bearing, to protect the foot.
    • Posted

Yes if I had an issue of extreme importance I would contact my surgeon,

• Posted

Well had stitches out today,they pulled it out as the stitch was inside not the outside...I honestly screamed it hurt so bad ....a bit of bruising and swelling. Now I get to wear a splint on each big toe bunion area and the Velcro boots
    • Posted

Hi I've been told I now have a stress fracture near to joint so have to be very careful.  I've to go for CT scan to make sure it isn't going to cause any problems.    Now on third type of shoe but much more comfortable than previous ones.  Have stiffness but no pain.  The thought of getting the other one done gives me the heeby   geebies lol!! 

• Posted

I was always told to do both or you won't go back for the other.

I am glad I did both at once, sucks not being able to do things but thankfully I have four older girls 12-20 in age and a hubby who have done lots for me.

• Posted

Hi! my friend had one Done and now 3months later she's going to get the other one done! She's had no problem! 😊

I have to now wear the removable foot cast it's like a shoe thing! Not very comfy when walking around in it as it's already dented the bunion boot as I have to still walk on my heal! I've had ( plate, 2screws & one pin in the big toe) not had pain yet just sometimes I get an unusual sensation we're the plate is & my big toe is still a little stiff, but it's only been 2weeks and 2days! I am just not looking forward to walking on the front part of my foot for the first time as it will feel so strange won't it 😳

Do you or did u develop any small water like blisters on your big toe?? Just noticed I have a small one under my big toe!! Is this normal do you no??

• Posted

No blisters, however my incision is really sore and start of an infection has started I have to wear splints on each foot and the walking boot but it was rubbing on incision when I was walking. 

how often do you you have your feet uncovered each day, I never realized I should of been doing that and never took splint off except to shower. Was afraid my big toe would move. The fresh air will help it heal ,the scar is so ugly 

On antibiotics now and back to not walking so much, I guess I was over doing it 

• Posted

I'm looking forward to getting out of the surgical shoes - have been told I need to wear them for 3-3.5 weeks so nearly there!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.