Recovery time ?!??!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello

I due to have a robotic assisted laparoscopy hysterectomy soon (just waiting for a date) and I was wondering anybody that has had this what recovery time is like ?

I have a very active job I work in a warehouse and theres alot of lifting to past a back to work assessment I would have to prove I can lift a 10-15 kg box first I know alot of people said that they were back at work within 3-4 weeks but alot of them are office jobs but at the same time I amm very young im 24 years old so.....

Has anybody go any ideas ?

Xxxxxxxxx

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I have had a abodinal hysterectomy not a robotic assisted but I am in a physical job and needed 8 weeks off work if that's any help
  • Posted

Hi I just had robotic assisted surgery they left the ova ovaries. I have 2 very active jobs, preschool teacher and figure skating coach. I am heading into day 14. I had my surgery on a Tuesday and took 2.5 weeks off work just so that when I go back I could not have any set backs. I am returning to the ice on day 14 for 1 hr and day 15 for 2 hrs. Then teaching. The following week. The best advice is to do keigles as soon as your able as it's the standing more than anything that'll get you listen to your body. 😊
  • Posted

Hello. I had a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy. I am a nurse and took six weeks off. I wished I had taken eight due to the fatigue. I did have both of my ovaries and uterus removed. This is a tougj surgery to recover from physically and emotionally. I thought I was gonna breeze thru this surgery and enjoy all my time off. NOT true. I needed every minute to rest and focus on me. Ur job will always be there. Take time for you!!
  • Posted

You need at least (at least) 6 weeks, I had a laparoscopically assisted vaginal, everything gone, that was 14 months ago and even now on ocasion when lifting very heavy stuff my tummy complains so definitely a good 6 weeks as your job involves heavy lifting. Like Kerry says, take time for you.
    • Posted

I've just come back from a dog walk and was calculating on my fingers (as you do) I am actually 17 months post op not 14........crikey how did that happen? lol
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, all recoveries differ, but a common consensus on some hyster forums has been anything up to 13 weeks and beyond. You only get one good go at a complete recovery, otherwise setting yourself up for more problems later on.  The danger period I found, as did others, was around the 2 week mark, when energy starts to resume a little, but usually followed by a setback by trying to do to much too soon. sad  very easy to be tempted into just giving this or that a go when you're bored....  Some great info on here and the other hyster site, in the links at the side. Take all the time you need and don't allow yourself to be rushed. We're all different. Happy recovery. Best wishes. K x
    • Posted

Hello thank you for your reply

Thankfully my managers and things have just said dont come back untill your okay but I get bored so quickly and I am worried that I will think everything is good go back to work and regret it instantly (Ive done that alot ) .

I know alot of people have said "I was back to wwork after 2.5 weeks with no problems" and ive sat there thinking surely not I know the robotic assisted laparoscopy is all new and brilliant but its still a big operation but I suppose everyone is different .

Xxx

• Posted

Individual ops, individual recovery times, and different professions...2.5 weeks recovery however the op is done, is unrealistic for returning to work in all forums...especially with physically demanding work.  A lot of folks struggle with the boredom factor, but do I want to struggle with hernias and other problems because I havent allowed time for the hundreds of internal stitches to heal properly..nope...  I had a lot of adhesions dealt with, which added to my surgery...glued across/to my back and all organs glued together and down..had LAVH BSO 5.5 months ago...having to see surgeon again next week following urgent scan...poss facing more surgery sad but if it means I will get a better recovery, all for it..  My hysterectomy has been life changing despite a few set backs.. Anyway, hope you have a great recovery. Rest, rest and more rest. K x
    • Posted

I also think it really depends on if you also have your ovaries out as well.mine were left in? Thoughts?
    • Posted

I had eight weeks off and was bored but I knew I wasn't ready to go back before otherwise I would have made things worse
    • Posted

Had to have mine out because of high ovarian and cervical cancer risk, so had cervix removed too. My surgeon said ovaries may or may not make difference re hormones/hrt, but not overall 'surgical' recovery...hormones going haywire certainly adds to the 'joy' of recovery 😒😁
  • Posted

I'm 15 months post op after a laparoscopy hysterectomy taking everything away and I'm a courier lifting heavy parcels up to 17kg I had 8 weeks off and still find it hurts my stomach after so don't rush back take at least 8 weeks off 
  • Posted

Hi Sarah.

I'm 8wks post-op robotaic hysterectomy with one ovary left. Was very active before the surgery and anticipated to go back to work in 3-4 wks. Well....it diden't work out that way becase at the end of 2nd week started to walk up to 4 miles and do things around the house "feeling great". The outcome is overdid and the result was an internal stichgetting loose which caused severe hemorage. I ended up in the ER, 2 days in the Hospital, became weak and took another month to get back to normal. Please listen to your body and other ladies around the forum. Wait at minimum 6-8 wks. The external wounds are unnoticable, however the internal ones take longer to heal due to different factors. Currently, I'm doing great....still looking for a project since I work as a pharmaceuical consultant and lost the opportunity I had when in the Hospital but I feel good, the hormones are balancing out, can walk back to 5-6 miles a day, sleep good, eat good but tired sometimes more then before. Wish you a fast recovery and many many hugs.

Claudia

• Posted

Thanks! That helped a lot ! As I am in week 2.5 and just feeling great! Although tired. I have both ovaries. But I will be sure to be really careful for another 3.5 weeks! Did you over do it by walking so long or was it lifting something ?
  • Posted

well i am about 14weeks post op now,mine was done abdominally though he did attempt to do it vaginally first.I also had my ovaries,fallopian tubes and cervix removed too....i was told recovery was at least 12 weeks for this,and 8 weeks laparascopically.I am still off sick,as my job in nursing is very heavy and long hours,i have not coped well with my surgically induced menopause and just had a bereavement in family,so i will return when i feel fit,and even then it will be on a phased return....good luck Sarah xx
    • Posted

I am in the same boat as u with not coping well with the surgically induced menopause. I am on hrt but it is taking some time to get things straightened out and it has been a roller coaster of emotions. Sometimes so bad I think I need to go to the hospital. This week I finally started an antidepressant. I was not prepared for the range of emotions I would be feeling. Have u gone thru the depression, anxiety, happy sad etc..??
    • Posted

Yes i have gone through all range of emotions...including being really angry,i get road rage...and thats as a passenger!not sleeping...hence me writing this at 2am...tearful...feeling i cant cope etc.Started HRT 3 weeks ago...i notice some improvement but not quite there yet.

• Posted

I am so glad to know I am not the only one. There are moments I feel like me and then moments I feel so lost emotionally. Literally like I have no ability to cope. I am also on hrt and it is a slow progress bringing them up. I have my levels checked every two weeks as encouragement that they are coming up. The sleeping is impossible!! I try everything. thank you for replying and letting me know it is all normal
    • Posted

Aww Kerry, no you're def not alone...it does start to improve, but just more slowly for some of us.  Surgical menopause hit me at 6 weeks post op..nothing prepares you for it, even knowing it's coming. Was hoping to forego hrt due to strong cancer risks but had to start taking it..helped quite quickly with the hot flushes which were ridiculous...still feel like am red hot, 'all' the time, but coping. Emotionally bit all over place, one minute fine, then 'not'...tired, irritable, disinterested in things, no motivation...not like me at all and then feel guilty because at least the op has removed the growths, stopped the horrendous, never ending flooding and one long period, restricted, pain-filled, lifestyle...am trying to focus on the benefits as much as possible.  Folks who havent had the op dont understand. They think you should just be 'over it'.  I'm seeing my surgeon finally, again next week...possibly more surgery due to adhesions reforming and causing bowel probs and pain.  My gp has been next to useless all thru the process. When this is (hopefully) finally sorted I will be looking to change doctors. Hopefully when they get your levels sorted it will improve for you. Hope so. Very best wishes. K
    • Posted

I can't tell you how helpful it is to know others are going thru this. I am so thankful my pain I had from having a uterus and ovaries is gone and like you try to focus on that. I developed some pelvic floor spams and worked thru those with physical therapy and now am trying to work with them to release some scar tissue around my bladder and urethra causing some pain. It is getting better. But again is a slow process. I am thankful I work in medicine as it has given me good access to my doctors and therapy. But other times I don't like having any knowledge... Ignorance is bliss....I sure hope u end up with a great outcome. Best wishes
    • Posted

Thanks Kerry. Hopefully we will both start to see some light...x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.